Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Temp problem - Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 06:21 PM

Angry Temp problem - Tuner

Cars given me no problems so far until the other day when I went to change the oil, and it was down 1 1/2 qts before I drained it It only has 10k miles on it and has never used oil before. Only thing I can think of is that I have a slight feeling that the car is running rich. Could this be do to the fact that I have a 160* and have not had it reprogrammed for it? Anyway I put it on a Snap On scantool today and drove around for awhile looking at what I saw and temp is around 190* at cruising speeds and creeps to about 225* when idling still for awhile at which point the fans come on, and it goes down to around 210 or so. Does this sound really F'in hot to anybody else? Could this be causing the car to run rich and maybe burning oil? O2 readings were anywhere from 880-905mv @ WOT in 4th

If your still reading this than it leads me to the fact that I should just break down and spend the money for a programmer even though I know their not that great. HPP3 or diablo? I dont have the money or the ***** to dick around with LS1edit,etc.

Questions :

Better all around performacne tune? I know you can adjust fuel/spark settings with diablo but plan on getting dyno tune shortly so don't really care.

With both programmers I know you can adjust fan on/off settings, but this doesn't really help the ecm operate with the lower t-stat, so I assume the when loading the power tune it includes these?

Any help would be appreciated?
Old 08-29-2004, 10:44 PM

Re: Temp problem - Tuner

Originally Posted by Chevy01SS
Could this be causing the car to run rich and maybe burning oil?
I don't think so. Shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:31 AM

the stock cooling system will cycle between your thermostat setpoint, and without changing the fan on/off temps, can get as high as 229 degrees farenheit. this will change how your car runs, but not that significantly.

I DO NOT recommend the package tunes (hypertech, Jet, etc). I have looked at the files that they flash onto your computer, and other than transmission changes they change VERY little in the way of power. some people have even experienced LOSS of power using their tunes. Using tunercats/lt1 edit really is simple... just take the plunge... if you're still not up for it, send it off to ed wright or madz28...

Jonota
Old 08-31-2004, 01:46 PM

If you want just your fans changes to proper 160* thermo temperatures, I can do it for $65+$13 shipping.