Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Question on OBD II datalogging software

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Question on OBD II datalogging software

I bought LT1 edit a few years ago and am wanting to move further with tuning my car and am needing to datalog. I am hoping there is some software out there that will work with the cable i got through LT1 Edit. I know the software for autotap is free but i dont know if its compatable with my cable. I dont know why any software wouldnt work with the cable i have but im just not sure. Does anyone hae any ideas?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM

AFAIK, if you have a cable that will communicate with your PCM, any software compatible with your PCM should work.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:08 PM

While I haven't tried autotap with it, I have JET DST, which is the same as tunercats OBD2, and I have MXscan. It is a not a very good datalogger but it works with some playing around. There is virtually no support for it either. I was unaware the autotap software was free but I will be trying it with the JET hardware now and I will let you know.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Last time I checked, AutoTap was not "free".
Old 09-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Well, you can download the full version of the software for free from their website, whether it works with anything other than their hardware is yet to be seen. I have a feeling it will not.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will try that MXscan. You say its not a very good datalogger; do you mean not user friendly or doesnt have all the parameters or something else enitrely?
shoebox what is AFAIK? Sorry if thats a newb question but i have no idea.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by mr_camaro96z28
Thanks for the replies. I will try that MXscan. You say its not a very good datalogger; do you mean not user friendly or doesnt have all the parameters or something else enitrely?
shoebox what is AFAIK? Sorry if thats a newb question but i have no idea.
As Far As I Know.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 AM

MXscan is very picky about what parameters you can scan together. It works, but it can be frustrating when you think it's logging only to find out it actually wasn't later. It's just buggy and it's an abandoned project. check monodax.com
Old 09-23-2009, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Last time I checked, AutoTap was not "free".
You can download the s/w, but you need their cable for it to work. If you are truly interested in it, look for a used copy with the enhanced parameters included.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:43 PM

I'm using Jet DST to tune my OBD2 LT1 and have both MXscan and AutoTap.

Yes, you must use AutoTap's cable to use their software. AutoTap works very well but the resolution that I've been able to attain, 2 frames/second, is a bit low. In all fairness, this could be an issue with my older/outdated laptop rather than with AutoTap's product. The graphical interface, however, is outstanding. You can display any parameter in your choice of a guage, a line graph, or as script on a list with other scripted parameters. Initial setup can be a bit time consuming but once you set it up, each time you reconnect it to a car it will read the VIN from the ECM and automatically return to the setup previously used on that car so no further setup is necessary. Different setups can be saved and are very easy to switch between.

MXscan works with the Jet DST cable and, as LearJet said, is buggy and a bit limited in the parameters that it can display together and some parameters simply cannot be displayed. However its resolution is higher at 10 frames/second. Both have their uses for me.

Whatever datalogger or scanner you choose, get it with enhanced parameter capability.