Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

PCM questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 PM

PCM questions

I have a 95 Z28/AT Stock (as far as I know). I bought a interface cable from AKM last week and I'm currently using Datamaster. I'm just now getting my feet wet in this stuff so bare with me, please.

I am at least the second owner of this car. The husband of the lady that I bought it from said in his redneck voice, "she runs good, we put one of them chips and a shift kit in it...". Which to my knowledge is not possible on this car. At least the chip anyways. So now I am curious as to what all they did to this thing. Is there a way to tell if someone has altered the programming? Say for instance that I used CATS to read the PCM. Would someone that has no idea what he's looking at (ME) be able to tell if it has been altered by reading the .bin file?

I guess without any sort of reference to compare it to, it would be a waste of time. Is there any listings of stock data available that I could use for this?

Or, should I just say screw it and start from scratch with lt1_edit? If so, any suggestions on a trustworthy source?

And as far as the "shift kit" goes... It does hit second gear like a sumbitch. Could this possibly be done through the PCM or might it actually have some sort of shift kit in it?

Rambling, I know. Sorry...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Re: PCM questions

1- TunerCat has a compare function that will compare 2 different .bin files I can send you a stock '95 A4 .bin file . PM me with an email address if you need it and I'll send it to you..
2- Don't know is LT1 Edit has a compare function, never used it
3- Yes you can program shift road speed, shift time , line pressure but most settings effect all gears, and you may also have a physical shift kit added , no way to tell without a .bin file of your current tune.