Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

PCM Error writing Tunercat

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 PM

PCM Error writing Tunercat

OK I have used tunercat for a while now and was tuning on the dyno. In the middle of writing got the following error;

"Run-time error 8021
Internal error retrieving device control block for the port"

The program froze and I had to shut off the laptop. At this point I tried a read and write and it couldn't communicate. So brought the PCM to GM and they couldn't flash it back to stock. Then found a PCM shop that told me the boot section wasn't retrievable and I would need another pcm. They sold me a reman unit ($175) and loaded a stock flash. Installed the PCM and did a read and then a write so I could start the car. Again the car was on the dyno and about the 3rd tune it gave the error again and locked the PCM. This time it was toward the end of the write so hopefully it got through the boot section. I will have them check this out tomorrow and hopefully not have to buy another PCM.

The battery has good voltage.
Pulled the fan fuse.
Made sure all the doors were shut and no accessories were on.
Turned off wireless, security software, and power saving modes.
Gateway laptop about a year old.
Recently loaded LT1edit for OBD2 programming.
I am using AKM cables USB cable with both OBD1 and OBD2 connectors.

Anyone seen this error?
I am thinking something is trying to access the com port while its writing, but not sure what it would be because tunercat is the only process running in task manager.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 PM

Suggestion: always read before you write. Takes longer on a dyno but it saves PCM's. I know because I have fried 3.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:28 PM

I threw away my USB to serial cable because of stories like this... my laptop doesnt have a serial port so I use the PCMCIA card Serial port and over 150 writes have never had a problem... oh... I shouldnt have said that. I also use LT1 Edit software to write to the PCM on OBD1
Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 AM
sbs

My guess would be a hardware error with the ALDL cable, but it's the typical vague MSFT error message that is useless for debugging, so it could be anything.

Your fried PCMs can be repaired by madz28 or other competent shops.

Don't buy another "reman" PCM from them unless you are in a hurry, since they are overcharging you by about $100-$125 compared to what they go for on forums and ebay.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 AM

Now thinking about it I have hundreds of writes but most of those were with my old laptop with actual com ports. So far the converter from AKM cables had been working. The only change was when adding LT1 Edit with their converter cable with drivers.
BTW I have had problems with LT1 Edits set up too.

I am going to look into the PCMCIA Serial port card.
Dookie, where did you pick your up from?

I sent both Tunercats and AKM cables an email about the problem to see what they think. Also going to pick up a 2nd PCM so I don’t have to be in a rush and pay the reman cost.

Ill contact MadZ28. Any other references for component shops?

Thanks guys,
Luke
Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM

Had the PCM checked out and it couldn’t be flashed back to stock, so another one down.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod..._code=50315534

The problem is both of the cables have the com to usb electronics built in, so I would have to purchase new cables to go this wrought.

Might just format the laptop and load a fresh copy of the programs and drivers.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:42 AM
sbs

For the price of that, you can buy a laptop with a real serial port.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:55 PM

"I am going to look into the PCMCIA Serial port card.
Dookie, where did you pick your up from?

I got mine from Ebay, very cheap. It's a generic card called Red Cheif maybe? It works good.

There's some things the USB to Serial just dont work with, or not consistenly. I tried many kinds to get Datamaster to work.. sometimes it would sometimes it wouldnt, ever since I installed the PCMCIA card it's been perfect, never a dropped link.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Ditto. The PCMCIA cards are much more reliable, although lately my Keyspan 19-HS has been working reliably.

Let me know if you want those PCMs repaired. I have a ton of experience repairing them from developing and testing the GT Tuner. ;-)
Old 12-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks VinceTrifecta i'll keep you in mind.

Madz28 helped me out with a chip socketing kit and I got the car up and running. I went ahead a formatted the laptop and reloaded software and drivers. So far so good. I did have some problems with Datamaster dropping the Com port and after checking device manager everything looked good. Restart of the laptop corrected it. Still not to sure about these USB to serial adaptors.

I did pick up a PCMCIA card.

Thanks to Tunercat, Datamaster, and MadZ28.
No responce from AKM Cables
Old 12-24-2007, 06:04 PM

LukeZ28,

I had the very same issue last year, went through 3 pcms trying to figure it out. Finally, decided to remove the car from the equation. Got a benchtop cable (still using my akm also to interface), power supply and program the pcm out of the car. Never had an issue since. I ended up sending one of my pcms to Ion (Madz28) for socketing. In the unlikely event I burn up the chips, I just install the spares and reflash.