Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Mass Air Flow sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:17 PM

Mass Air Flow sensor

I have a 1987 irocz Camaro with the 305 TPI I cant seem to find the right MAF sensor each one I put on the car will not start are there any difference in the years are difference part numbers

thanks
kclivie
Old 10-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Re: Mass Air Flow sensor

How did you determine it is the MAF sensor that is preventing it from starting? Have you pulled codes? Do you have power to the sensor?
Old 10-22-2016, 04:46 PM

I have the old one that came off the car but the plug broke so when I put a new on it will not start and it gives the the codes for the mas air flow so I was trying to find a new one the one I brought will not work the car will not start so I tape the old one on and the car starts right up with no problem so I was wondering if there is any difference in them
Old 10-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Not a lot of 3rd Gen owners left on this site, so detailed part #'s may be hard to come by. In the mean time, have you tried GM parts sources like gmpartsdirect and Rock Auto? They have blowups of GM parts diagrams with part #'s that can point you in the correct direction.

Where did you buy the MAF sensor that set the codes? Did you return it and get a replacement? When you say the plug broke, do you mean the connector on the end of the harness, or the connection on the MAF sensor?

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR for 1987 Chevrolet Camaro|14094712

RockAuto Mobile Catalog
Old 10-23-2016, 02:56 AM

the piece where it plug into the MAF sensor I got the new one from amazon
Old 10-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kclivie
the piece where it plug into the MAF sensor I got the new ou one from amazon
Your original post appears to indicate you tried more than one new MAF sensor. Your later responses appear to indicate you got only ONE sensor from Amazon, tried it and it set the codes.

How many replacements have you tried? If only ONE, have you considered the possibility it is defective? Did you compare the part #'s in the links I posted to the part # on the sensor you got from Amazon? If the original sensor works fine with tape on the broken receptacle for the harness connector, why not just epoxy the broken part for a reliable repair?

I sense a bit of a language barrier here, made worse by the complete absence of any punctuation. I know this isn't English class, but your posts are very difficult to understand. Just trying to help you get the info you are seeking.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 PM

thanks Fred I will put some tape on it to make it work. And send the one I got from Amazon back.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Epoxy for a more solid, reliable repair. One day the tape is going to come loose, and you'll be stuck on the side of the road.