Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

lt1 logging with efi live anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 PM

lt1 logging with efi live anybody?

so i recently finshed with my rebuildand now am looking to dive into tuning this thing with my buddy who does a lot of ls1 tuning. he was able to get efi live to log data with. we also have tunercat to do the flashing and the usb cable is from aldlcables.com. has anyone else used efi live to log on an lt1? we are having problems getting his laptop to communicate with the pcm. we were able to load a modified tune already. my laptop will communicate fine but his seems to be having issues. also when we tried to log using free scan on both of our computer the stream starts fine then gets very choppy communication(it seems like) then will lose all communication using freescan. anybody out there with some ideas besides that its because it is a USB cable? thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 04:47 PM

I used to log my 97 LT1 with EFILive all the time -- it works great for most of the parameters that you need to look to get the fueling down right. I had an LC-1 wideband wired in and was able to used a modified version of the efilive "auto-ve" procedure to dial in my VE and MAF curves very accurately. (I would switch over to tunercats for tuning, just needed a little manual work in excel to properly update the tables) I ended up getting my trims in +/-5% in most trim cells, and my actual WOT fueling (on average) was only off by like 0.1 AFR from commanded values. The efilive histograms are really really nice for this stuff.

The big problem i would see for using efilive exclusively for your LT1 is that you can't access a few important parameters related to idle control (like IAC counts). I always had autotap on backup in case i needed to check out stuff like that.

Even some of the bi-directional controls work, although they dont always map to the right thing -- i dont remeber exactly but it might be something like commanding the AIR pump on would activate the fans. I experimented a little bit with using the dynamic spark and fuel control too. The fueling didnt seem to work, but the spark control had a noticible effect. I wanted to use this to dial in part-throttle spark dvance on a load-bearing dyno, but never got around to actually trying it.