Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Locked hypertech, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 11:17 AM

Post Locked hypertech, need help!

I bought a HPP off ebay and got screwed by the seller. He sent me the unit with the program not removed from the previous car. The car was traded in and I don't think he will refund or look for the car, I'm still working on it, emails, pain in the a**. Is there a cheaper way of getting the VIN# on the unit removed so it can be used on my car than calling hypertech? It is an HPP Plus for a 97 Z/TA part #375752.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:40 PM

Angry

I know this sucks for you to hear but there is no way that I know of to unlock it! I have seen here on the board people talking about this happening and they said Hypertech wants like $200 to reprogram it. Make sure you leave negative feedback for this shi% head!!

SORRY!!
Old 08-05-2002, 08:20 PM

Unfortunately that information is burned into a chip in the Hypertech, you'd have to send it in to them, so basically you got screwed. Last I checked Hypertech charges almost as much as buying a new one.

Sorry you got burned man, this is definately a question you want to ask ahead of time, obviously this person didn't want to come clean, or will tell you some story about "not knowing" it wasn't unprogrammed before sale.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:43 PM

I thought I saw a thread about somebody having a way to bypass the hypertech lock? I could be wrong, but at least worth a search.

------------------
Arrest ME Red 1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible
just a chip and a muffler, well maybe some headers
<A HREF="http://home.attbi.com/~mycamaro/" TARGET=_blank>
First run EVER
R/T - .675 (on a pro tree)
60 FT - 1.943
1/4 - 13.969 @ 98.77
http://home.attbi.com/~mycamaro/</A>
Old 08-08-2002, 10:17 AM

Question

John - I know nothing about HPP's but I am a computer technician and know a little about that. I'd figure that if you opened the device up, there should be a small battery in there somewhere. If you remove that (assuming it's not soldered to the circuit board) and then look on the circuit board for a jumper that you can either remove or a jumper that you could short together to wipe the device's memory. This shouldn't wipe the programming of the whole device. It would just reset it back to factory standard. (without the VIN# programmed in)

That might work for you but again I know nothing about the HPP's nor have I ever tried this on one.

Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2002, 11:07 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94DROPTOPZ28:
I know this sucks for you to hear but there is no way that I know of to unlock it! I have seen here on the board people talking about this happening and they said Hypertech wants like $200 to reprogram it. Make sure you leave negative feedback for this shi% head!!

SORRY!!
</font>
HPP is a rip off. For $200 you can buy tuner cat and a cable and do a whole lot more for less.

------------------
Adam in Hurst TX
95TA M6 Borla Cat Back
!TB,!MAF,Ripper,Tuner Cat
HP160, !UD pulley,CAI,
24# SVO
Best 1/4 13.79 101.4
Old 08-08-2002, 03:18 PM

I think it is 1995 and earlier that can be quickly fixed (and a guy here on the board can do it, forget his name)

In your case, however, you'll have to pay Hypertech to unlock it. And as was said, it will be almost as much as buying a new one, and depending on how much you paid for the unit on auction ... it could easily be more expensive that if you had just bought a new one.

Sorry to hear that you got screwed. That's why I would never buy a HPP from anyone unless I could personally verify that it had been unlocked.

------------------
2001 TransAm WS6, M6 3.42
HPP, TBB, 160* t-stat, MTI Lid, Holley PowerShot, Flowmaster 80, Port/Polish MAF

www.BlackWS6.com

2001 Z28
-- R.I.P. - 06/25/02
Old 08-16-2002, 01:23 PM

Lightbulb

You can unlock 96-97 hypertech, if you really got screwed send me e-mail and I will let you know how.

I had no luck from hypertech, they said to send it back to the person I bought it from because they wouldn’t do anything for me. I would love to post how, but since they are one of the advertisers for the board I won't do that.

Too bad they won't help out people that have an interest in their product but can't afford to take $349.00 chance that it is worth anything.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:43 PM

I had an OBD I Hypertech which stores information in an EEPROM which cannot be erased by simply unplugging the battery, this is just like the 94/95 EEPROM, this stuff is not erased by simply removing power from it, thats not how they work, that would be like RAM and every time you unplugged your cars battery you'd have to reprogram the thing, nope, doesn't work like that and neither does the Hypertech.

If there is a home-hack for OBD II I'm not aware of it, if there is only one of the chips that handles the VIN data then you could probably use an ultra violet light on it, but again I haven't heard of any home hacks on the Hypertechs.

I did have someone fix my OBD I unit for me though, same situation, jerkoff on eBay sent it to me after using it on thier car. After I had it fixed I sold it off, but do not know anyone who can do this for the OBD II units.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:57 PM

Any chances you know somebody with LT1_edit or TunerCat ? Because if the have the converter and the Vin Changer program, they can program any VIN to your car so you can fool the hypertech ... Just an idea ...

------------------
Camaro 93, 6 Speed with 3.36 First Gear (G92), LT1, SS Hood fonctional, LT4 Intake, LT4 HotCam, GM 1.6 Roller Rocker, Edelbrock Headers, 3.23 (G92). 94' Computer and Wiring conversion. TunerCat tuning ! Made 323 RWHP and 342 RWTQ on a DynoJet at SLP Facilities in Lachine, Quebec, Canada

ATI Procharger 8# with front mount intercooler going in soon !

Visit my web site for more details and Pics
Old 05-23-2021, 08:58 PM

Re: Locked hypertech, need help!

Originally Posted by john97z28
I bought a HPP off ebay and got screwed by the seller. He sent me the unit with the program not removed from the previous car. The car was traded in and I don't think he will refund or look for the car, I'm still working on it, emails, pain in the a**. Is there a cheaper way of getting the VIN# on the unit removed so it can be used on my car than calling hypertech? It is an HPP Plus for a 97 Z/TA part #375752.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
plug onto computer or smart phone and update unit it is free and will erase all stored files and vin. It will be like brand new unit you just plug into your vehicle and program auto computer. Update resets everything to start.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by John Curtis
plug onto computer or smart phone and update unit it is free and will erase all stored files and vin. It will be like brand new unit you just plug into your vehicle and program auto computer. Update resets everything to start.

You realize this thread is almost 20 years old...
Old 06-05-2021, 04:23 PM

That's honestly pretty interesting it just takes plugging in to PC/device to cancel the vin. But I think the HPP should've been worthless 2 decades ago.. Unless you dont have a laptop for tire/gears/fans etc., and the dam thing was free. Love that there is still LT1 newb's after these things- SPREAD THE 4th GEN EVERYWHERE!
Edit

Originally Posted by john97z28
You realize this thread is almost 20 years old...
The 19 year old RESSURECTION was also completely awesome.. But I still say bring on the new guys, we're here to help as always.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:01 PM
Administrator

This thread evolved from the Hypertech Power Programmer III sold in the late 90’s. Not sure if the update capability applies to these. Hypertech site lists these models:
- Max Energy
- Max Energy 2.5
- Speedometer Calibrator
- Interceptor
- Inline Speedometer Calibrator

As far as I am aware, the Power Programmer III lacks a USB connection. My earlier model does not have one. Perhaps “John Curtis” could help by clarifying this.