Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

how to read Codes (w/out scanner)

Old 08-07-2004, 12:39 AM

Question how to read Codes (w/out scanner)

I have been having a lot of problems lately since my Catalytic Converter broke (off..)..I believe Im having too much air getting up the exhaust with the cat missing..and its slowly reprogramming my O2 sensors to read wrong.
I know I can take out the O2s for a short bit and reconnect my battery cable..this should reset it back to normal (or close to it) for a short time so I can atleast pinpoint thats the problem...assuming it is.
The guy at the Advanced Auto Parts store here said you can jam a paper clip into the certain parts of the ALDL (is that right..or whatever the thing under the steering column is)...Then you can get CODES to 'blink' on the instrument panel (the check engine light flashes i guess)
He said the flashes represent codes..like two flashes then a break..and three flashes..then a long break would indicate a CODE 23 for example..
Is thislegit? I always pictured everyone on here talking about getting CODES and they used scanners...but are most of you getting these and knowing what CODES your car is throwing by using this method???? Im not real familiar with the electronics part of our cars..just mechanics..this would help a lot..thanks guys..
Also...does anyone know by chance if shoebox or someone else has a page with pictures that show how to use this method and where to insert the paper clip..etc..? Thanks! Derek
Old 08-07-2004, 08:39 AM

Re: how to read Codes (w/out scanner)

You're out of luck. '93 was the last year the paper clip trick would work. You do need a code puller or scan tool. Your's is an OBDI car, so you would need an OBDI tool to pull codes. For OBDI, they usually start about $150 and go up, depending on the capabilities of the tool.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:43 AM

Yes, I have a page that shows how to blink the codes, but it can only be used on 1993s LT1 f-bodies. You must us a scanner to retrieve codes on 1994 and up.

If you want to reset your computer, just pull the PCM BAT fuse in the dash for about 30 seconds. No need (and no use) to pull off the O2s. Not sure that is going to really help you much. Use and familiarity of a scan tool is what you need to diagnose your problem.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:12 AM

Talking Re: how to read Codes (w/out scanner)

thanks for your replies, that helps a lot! I am gonna work on it tomorrow(sunday afternoon)..hey Shoebox...do you happen to have a diagram that shows which/where the PCM BAT fuse is under the dash? Or maybe this info is in my Haynes manual?? Thanks in advance, you guys rock!
Old 08-14-2004, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 1Qwik94Z
thanks for your replies, that helps a lot! I am gonna work on it tomorrow(sunday afternoon)..hey Shoebox...do you happen to have a diagram that shows which/where the PCM BAT fuse is under the dash? Or maybe this info is in my Haynes manual?? Thanks in advance, you guys rock!
The fuses should all be labeled on the inside of your fuse box cover.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by indieaz
The fuses should all be labeled on the inside of your fuse box cover.
...which is on the left end of the dash (open the car door). Your owner's manual has the info, too.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:46 AM

sometimes i feel like the blonde highlights my gf put in my hair got to the roots and infected my brain!!LOL
I was looking for this all great important stand out fuse lable or fuse..and I overlooked the damn thing fifty time..i finally ended up pulling it and seeing if that helped sometimes last week..like the 8th or something, absolutely no help...So Im gonna get my cat replaced...then see if that fixes it..and take it to a friends uncle who does tuning for $35 to pinpoint the problem..Thanks for your replies guys, and yes it was clearly labeled..i was just over looking it thinking it was gonna stand out lol (bottom left fuse on my 94 by the way)
Thanks guys, Derek