Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

code 43 (esc Module or Sensor circuit problem) i am new at this!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 PM

Question code 43 (esc Module or Sensor circuit problem) i am new at this!

ok so the car had several codes in it. i have them all written down and are as follows.

13 Left oxygen sensor or circuit
43 esc module or sensor circuit
68 Ac/relay/circut fault
33 map sensor or circuit too high
68 a/c relay shorted
67 a/c pressure sensor/ circuit fault

the pcm did not have a ground and i fixed this last week, coil went bad on me and fixed this yesterday. because of this i figured a lot of the codes were in there so i cleared the codes and this one came back

43 Esc Module or Sensor circuit problem

what does this mean?

i took down some readings before the codes were cleared:

left o2: 350-450mV mainly around 425 closed loop was 651ish

right o2: 540-610mV mainly around 570 closed loop was 800ish

l/r blm was 128

iac pos was 92

mat (f) 91

map (Hg) 19.5-20

map (v) was 3ish
i don't know what this stuff means so help me out please!

thanks, critter
Old 01-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Critter
"my lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes"
LOL!

The ESC module is that electronic module that is part of the coil bracket. You may need to replace it. There's probably a test procedure for it, but I don't know what it is.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by vgeglia
LOL!

The ESC module is that electronic module that is part of the coil bracket. You may need to replace it. There's probably a test procedure for it, but I don't know what it is.
thats the icm isn't it?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Yes - ICM or ESC module - the terms are used interchangibly.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 PM

well the icm and coil have 49 miles on them. opti, plugs and wires have 1250 on them. so why would it throw a code?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

No, its not the ICM.

And herein lies the main problem of failing to use a "signature" with basic data about the car, including the year, engine, model, tranny, etc. It's completely beyond me that someone can have been on these forums for more than 5 years and not realize that . Yes, there's a link to Cardomain in the signature, but when I clicked on that, Cardomain was "down for maintnence"

It also shows the risk of using a "generic" code list, rather than the one specific for your car.

From the picture and from the question, and from the signature info you did provide, appears its an OBD-I LT1. For that engine

DTC 43 is "Knock Sensor (KS) circuit"

This is right from Shoebox's website code list for the LT1:

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm

Very easy to check the knock sensor.

Key on, remove the single wire from the KS and measure the voltage between the wire and the engine block (ground). Should read 5V. If its any less, you have a problem with the wiring or the PCM.

With the wire still disonnected, measure the resistance between the single pin on the KS and the engine block. Should read between 3,500-5,500 ohms (KS spec is 4,400ohm). Outside those limits and the KS is faulty or the ground it bad.

Reconnect the harness to the KS. Measure the voltage from the wire to the engine block. Should be in the range of 1.5 - 3.5V. Outside those limits and the PCM sets DTC 43.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:46 AM

year, engine, model, tranny,

cc306, 2900 stall,

well that would mean a4 and lt1, you know its a camaro from the picture and and if with the codes i have listed you know its a OBD-1 because they are not P0100-P1667.

sorry had to do it, i kinda see your point tho.

Last edited by Critter; 01-11-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
No, its not the ICM.

And herein lies the main problem of failing to use a "signature" with basic data about the car, including the year, engine, model, tranny, etc. It's completely beyond me that someone can have been on these forums for more than 5 years and not realize that . Yes, there's a link to Cardomain in the signature, but when I clicked on that, Cardomain was "down for maintnence"

It also shows the risk of using a "generic" code list, rather than the one specific for your car.

From the picture and from the question, and from the signature info you did provide, appears its an OBD-I LT1. For that engine

DTC 43 is "Knock Sensor (KS) circuit"

This is right from Shoebox's website code list for the LT1:

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm

Very easy to check the knock sensor.

Key on, remove the single wire from the KS and measure the voltage between the wire and the engine block (ground). Should read 5V. If its any less, you have a problem with the wiring or the PCM.

With the wire still disonnected, measure the resistance between the single pin on the KS and the engine block. Should read between 3,500-5,500 ohms (KS spec is 4,400ohm). Outside those limits and the KS is faulty or the ground it bad.

Reconnect the harness to the KS. Measure the voltage from the wire to the engine block. Should be in the range of 1.5 - 3.5V. Outside those limits and the PCM sets DTC 43.
if the knock sensor is disabled will i still have this problem? ot was done with the madz28 tune.

Last edited by Critter; 01-11-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Administrator

year, engine, model, tranny,

cc306, 2900 stall,

well that would mean a4 and lt1, you know its a camaro from the picture and and if with the codes i have listed you know its a OBD-1 because they are not P0100-P1667.

sorry had to do it, i kinda see your point tho.
They used those same codes on the 3rd Gens. If you want to argue about the wisdom of putting important info in your signature, feel free to do so.... maybe it will help someone else help you, because I'm dropping out. Maybe they will enjoy plaing GD guessing games more than I do.

Sorry I had to do it
Old 01-11-2007, 11:50 PM

3rd gen with a 4th gen pic under my name?

lol, didn't mean to **** you off my god, sense of humor man.

Last edited by Critter; 01-11-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:23 AM

someone has to know something

Last edited by Critter; 01-14-2007 at 01:23 AM. Reason: i can't spell worth a crap
Old 01-15-2007, 05:39 AM

BTW when you have a KS fault, the PCM retards the spark until the code is reset so your performance will be crappy at best.

Last edited by Guest47904; 01-15-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 AM

if the knock sensor is disabled will i still have this problem? ot was done with the madz28 tune.
this is what im asking. when i scaned it there was no retard
Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Oh now I'm understanding.
What has obviously happened was he removed the output from the PCM but did not remove the input requirement. So hook up a resistor to the input and get rid of the problem.

And please change your signature to include year of car, type of engine, PCM and other pertinent data. We don't care about your battery or your stereo blah blah blah.

Last edited by Guest47904; 01-16-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 PM

3rd gen with a 4th gen pic under my name?

lol, didn't mean to **** you off my god, sense of humor man.
Avatars or even screen names don't mean jack. When you want help, provide decent info or expect wrong answers or no help. When people assume what you have and are wrong, it wastes everyone's time. When you tick off one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people on the board, you are not doing yourself any favors.

Quick Reply: code 43 (esc Module or Sensor circuit problem) i am new at this!