Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

can scan sensor data master but not with a snap on scanner

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 PM

can scan sensor data master but not with a snap on scanner

I had my car looked at today at local shop. The car runs poor in closed loop. He was trying to look at the data with his scanner, and could only get data on like one o2 sensor. no tps, maf, etc. But when he used my laptop using data master you can see all parameters. He thinks something is wrong with the ecm or possibly the tune. Has anyone ever ran into an issue like this. He gets something like a quad driver failure with his scanner. He also said he never seen an ecm not throw and ses light for that type of failure. Data master reports no codes. This car has the obd1 conversion installed. Do i have a bad ecm, or a corrupt tune?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 PM

sounds like a poor tune , was he using the modis snap it off scanner? or the classic red brick? also the computer just might not be communicating with the bcm im trying to remeber if the 96's have the bcm too , could it be possible the data port wires could be mis matched?

but my laptop based scanning software has shown failures like that on some cars and there not be a thing wrong with it except like a minor sensor failure in the tcm
Old 11-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator

"Quad drivers" were last used in the 93 ECM's. That means he got DTC 26, 27 or 28. You need to use Shoebox's code list, which is LT1-specific. If DataMaster is communicating, the PCM is fine. Is he aware you have the OBD-I conversion? Did you change the ALDL connector or is it still the 16-pin OBD-II type?

Are you sure your SES light is working? Does it illuminate for a few seconds when you turn the key to "on"?

Have you considered posting your DataMaster log to an ftp site, so people could take a look at it?
Old 11-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Im not sure what type of scanner he was using, i forgot to ask him. The ses light will illuminate, it does on start and if i unplug the maf. I did relay to him that it needs to be scanned as a 95 because of the conversion. I looked up dtc 26-28 on Shoebox's site, they air, egr, etc. I had Bryan At pcm for less delete these out of the tune. There are all removed from the car. I still have the obd2 plug in the car. I would gladly post up a data log for someone to take a look at. Is there a site that everyone would prefer?