Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Can programming allow me to keep HP gains from FPR

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 04:21 PM

Can programming allow me to keep HP gains from FPR

I am limited by rules (scca solo 2) as to what mods are allowed. An adjustable fuel pressure reg. is one allowed mod. I see big gains from the FPR's but It is lost after the PCM "learns".
Is there a way, through programming, that I can maintain those HP gains. I have seen that 15hp or more is common.

Also a rundown of what is being done to the engine as it may/will affect tuning.
Bored .030 forged pistons (stock comp) balanced, milled heads .020 gasket matched heads and intake. Already as most free mods as they are legal. Also CAI, Headers, exhaust.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:17 PM

If you run in speed density mode yes.......closed loop no.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:35 PM

Just use a BLM locker or the easy way is to just use the stock fpr and adjust the FP constant or PE tables accordingly.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:36 AM

Location: Stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. (But Going Home SOON!)- From New Jersey
Maybe Yes

I have to diagree- to a point. I think you can gain HP and Torque through the whole RPM range through Dyno Tuning. I just did it! I am not an experienced tuner and got 20HP & Torque at the top and up to 30HP in some areas. I think that it is like balancing & Blueprinting your PCM. Every caris different and the tune that is in your car is Generic for the Whole county. Also Stock Programming differs from year to year. One of the best stock programs for an LT1 that I have seen, was in a 1994 Impalea SS 290RWHP. So although I think it is worth it others may not. Also some years back a local Race shop by be did one of the first tests of Accell DFI, he got 40RWHP over stock- it wasn't that the DFI is better than the stock computer, it was just that the car was now tunable.

Buy the Way- Where can you get a BLM locker?
Old 09-20-2002, 08:20 AM

Re: Maybe Yes

Originally posted by dayusmc
I have to diagree- to a point.

By the Way- Where can you get a BLM locker?

What were your disagreeing with?

Christian has BLM locker and Ken is looking at one for OBDII. It basically turns off learning. Because the PCM is trying to lean up the system after this fellow adjusted the fuelpressure, the improvement he attains is lost as the computer effectively 'zeros out' the fuel trims.

He could have acheive the same result with just a program change, not new parts were needed like the AFPR.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:04 AM

Location: Stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. (But Going Home SOON!)- From New Jersey
BLM Locker

Where can I get a BLM locker, how much are they and do they only give advantages to Big cam cars? Also is a BLM Locker software or hardware? I was disagreeing with the notion that you can not get any gains from reprogramming a stock PCM and get HP, if you don't have many mods. NOT on this post but the many others that have posted that on this subject.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:34 AM

It is just a code change. There isn't a OBDII version yet but truthfully, there are better ways to accomplish a propertune.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Luna
It is just a code change. There isn't a OBDII version yet but truthfully, there are better ways to accomplish a propertune.
I have OBDI in my car- Talk to me on how to Propertune my car, I am new to the tuning- I Dynotuned my friends and got an entra 20RWHP but I'm sure I can get more with some pointers.