Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

can an Ed Wright locked PCM be reflashed with tunercat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:59 PM

can an Ed Wright locked PCM be reflashed with tunercat?

just like title says, I have a locked PCM and have all the tuning software, a tune I want to put in my PCM and my PCM is locked by a Fastchip tune. anyone know a way around this to flash it.. would like to have my car running again this weekend.. right now she is dying for this new tune so I can try the new blower kit I have on the car.

thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 PM

Re: can an Ed Wright locked PCM be reflashed with tunercat?

I think you can just do a full re-write over and it should take care of it.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 PM

No!!!

I had a "locked" Ed Wright tune on my PCM, my first attempt at a reflash with TunerCat fried my PCM. I ended up having to send the fried PCM to tunerCat so the tune could be recovered and the PCM repaired and unlocked.

Call or e-mail TC with your concerns, he will help you... A+ service!

Shea
Old 03-24-2006, 10:55 PM

alvin,

thanks for the reply.. when you say do a rewrite, you mean just go ahead and program the file in instead of trying to read it first?

I can read the pcm with PCCOMM just fine but when I try and read the file with tunercats software it gets half way through connecting then throws a code stating "wrong message sent" I amguessing this is where the lock is coming in preventing me to read the tune in the PCM.

I will give it a try though and see what happened.. i suppose if it fries the PCM I will have to send it off anyways to get socketed.

thanks for your input!

Chris
Old 03-24-2006, 10:58 PM

whoa.. ok.. guess not.. Houdini.I have written to TC, they said they did not know how to unlock the PCM if it was locked by ed wright... so I guess don't try flashing to PCM.. now what do I do?

CHris
Old 03-24-2006, 11:55 PM

That's strange... they fixed that exact problem for me.

When I first used my TunerCat program on my T/A, all I could do was read the program, I could not reflash the PCM, I kept getting all sorts of errors. After the fourth or fifth attemp my PCM fried. I e-mailed TC with my problem and offered to send my fried PCM to him so he could look at it, he agreed. Along with the return of the repaired PCM was a explanation to why The PCM fried while using the TC tuning program. I don't recall the exact information, but it was something along these lines... "A glitch/bug occures in the TC program when it encounters a locked PCM, the glitch/bug causes the PCM to become fried. The bug in the software has been fixed, your PCM has been unlocked and original programing has been restored".

I had my restored and unlocked PCM back to me within a week, all was good... TC came through for me.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:22 AM

I found another post explaining your situation and the resolution.. you were using OBDII, where as I have an OBDI car.. would there be a difference?

and I know it has been recommended, but has anyone successfully flashed over an Ed Wright locked PCM?

and if anyone has had an Ed Wright PCM that ws locked, were you able to read the PCM under operation with software for scanning such as PCM COMM? I am able to read this, but when I try and read with Tunercat, it sends the error message report "wrong message sent" I am assuming that this is the lock kicking in and not allowing me to go further. prior to receiving this message, my cooling fans turn on, a few lights on the dash illuminate just like it did when I used my first Hypertech program on another car letting me know it is communicating and getting through to the PCM.

I don't want to fry the PCM and find out an hour later I could have avoided it and have a feesible solution for tuning through or removing the lock, but at the same time, if there is some factual proof of someone who has flashed over a locked PCM, I would like to know about it.. I may give it a try.

thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 03-25-2006, 09:43 AM

Update.. tried flashing in the new program and got the same scenario..starts communicating, fans turn on, a few lights come on the dash and then it says error report, "incorrect message sent" any takers?

thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM

Yes it can, I got a tune from Ion and it just overwrote my "locked" pcm, it is only locked to view, not write over...