Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

1994 Z28 shift RPM

Old 10-22-2016, 10:51 PM

1994 Z28 shift RPM

I bought a 1994 Z28 several months ago. On the radiator support there are a couple of Hypertech stickers. I have run the car at wot but have had to let off the gas because it appeared to be revving high.
At what rpm should this transmission shift without lifting off the pedal?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Re: 1994 Z28 shift RPM

Does it do that in all gears? Does it hit the rev limiter? The PCM can set codes for the 4L60E electrical components, and they don't all turn on the SES light. Can you scan for codes?

There is a shift point table in the factory manual. As I recall you have to look at the 95 factory manual, because the one in the 94 manual is incorrect, indicated as applicable to trucks (???). You can download a factory manual here:

LINK: 4TH GEN SERVICE MANUALS - Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation

If someone has programmed it with the Hypertech Power Programmer, and not returned it to stock when they sold the car (thereby rendering the Hypertech Programmer unable to be used on another VIN), they may have changed shift points, shift firmness, and the rev limiter RPM.

Search this Thread