Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Weiand stealth or Edelbrock Performer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:45 PM

Weiand stealth or Edelbrock Performer

I buy a Edelbrock carburetor #1406 past month, and now I plan to buy a intake manifold, but have a dude:
Wich is the best manifold, Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock Performer with this carburetor?
In future I want to put a camshaft too and I don't know what camshaft can be good but this is for another occasion....
I want more power, but I want a street engine, not a racing engine and not only high rpm power.

Thanks.Fran.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Classic Tech Moderator

Because you already have an Edelbrock carb, I'd go with the Edelbrock intake manifold - they are designed to work well with one another.

A regular air cleaner base sits too high and won't let your hood close, so you'll need a 'drop base' air cleaner and possible a shorter air cleaner element.

You may find that you also need a new throttle cable linkage.

---

The word 'dude' in english is slang for a guy or man. A better word for your first sentance is 'dilema'.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:14 PM

stick with the Edelbrock intake if u have an edelbrock carb, makes life easyer...

btw if u don't mind me asking why get a performer, when u can get a performer RPM for not that much over the standard performer?
Old 09-18-2003, 01:33 AM

In catalogue the performer rpm intake have a 1500-6500 rpm range,so if I drive the car in D gear under 1800-2000 rpm, (very frequently) What happen under 1500rpm?

Greetings.Fran.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:52 AM

Erik would be able to tell u best, im not sure about that.....

i think thats when it flows the best maybe... or thats when it makes the best power perhaps?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:20 AM

If you put a large single plane intake on you will bog at low RPM when you accelerate hard. you will not get that with the performer RPM manifold though. It is a dual plane and small enough to keep enough velocity to make torque. I prefer the RPM over the stealth intake. Either one will support over 400hp. And as eric pointed out you will need a drop-base air cleaner and a new throttle-cable bracket.
CoryM
Old 09-18-2003, 10:14 AM

I think a Performer RPM would be a better alternative for the Stealth. I have the Stealth manifold and an Edelbrock carb and I've always liked it, but I've never gotten to try an Edelbrock manifold. The only problem I had with the Stealth was that the hole for the alternator bracket didn't line up with my stock bracket, so watch out for that.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by FRAN_Astur
In catalogue the performer rpm intake have a 1500-6500 rpm range,so if I drive the car in D gear under 1800-2000 rpm, (very frequently) What happen under 1500rpm?

Greetings.Fran.
Actually, if you're frequenlty driving at under 1800-2000 rpm, then you'll probably want to go with the Performer and not the Performer RMP. The Performer has a power band from 0-5500 rpm, which is perfect for a street car.

In that case its more comparible to the Weiand Team G.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:58 PM

The Team G is comparable to the Victor Jr. The Performer is comparable to the Weiand Action+, and the RPM is comparable to the Stealth. The only difference is the name and the price, and the Team G's come with larger ports thant the Vic Jr. so you don't have to port them with aftermarket heads. Your carb will perform just as well with any comperable Edelbrock or Weiand intake. Just because your carb is Edelbrock doesn't mean anything, its basically a Carter carb. If brand matching mattered you'd be better off running Holley intakes with Holley carbs.

If you're planning on running a larger cam later, I'd either get a used Performer or Action+ or go ahead and step up to the Stealth or RPM. You won't really feel a difference with a small cammed engine unless you have over carbed. No sense in buying a new intake twice.

The drop base sucks on the Edelbrock carbs, it gets in the way of the fuel line unless you run a banjo fitting.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 09-18-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:08 PM

Get the performer unless you plan on changing the heads and cam in the future. Then step up to the RPM, but for now the performer should suit your needs very well. It is an easier install and should work well with the carb.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:32 AM

Arrow

I had a Performer on the 383 in my '81, then I switched it to a Weiand Stealth. I actually felt like the Performer worked a little better because the torque would come on quicker, vs. with the Stealth the engine seemed to want to rev out a little more, but I didn't have a good enough carb (only a Q-jet) so it would lean out really bad at high RPM's...............I never had that problem with the Performer.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:50 PM

I think the Weiand Action Plus #8004 is the best bet. The port shapes are slightly larger and better than the Performer, but slightly smaller than the Performer RPM. The Action Plus will fit under the hood with no problem.
but I didn't have a good enough carb (only a Q-jet) so it would lean out really bad at high RPM's
The Qjet is a fine carb- better for the street than any of the others, IMO. I could've easily fixed that top end issue. Mine pulls STRONG right through 6000.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Todd80Z28
The Qjet is a fine carb- better for the street than any of the others, IMO. I could've easily fixed that top end issue. Mine pulls STRONG right through 6000.
I know they're not bad carbs, and truthfully I did love it on the street compared to a 600 vac. secondary Holley I had for a while, BUT, I think it was better suited to the Performer intake I had rather than the Stealth (Performer RPM style) intake I changed to. Probably if I had increased the jet size or something, it could have got more fuel up top (unless there was some other problem? although I even tried changing the fuel pump to an electric Holley pump, but it still starved for gas by ~4500 rpm ).

That was 3 years ago though, so it's a little too late to try and figure out.