Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Thoughts on car and a few General Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:30 AM

Thoughts on car and a few General Q's

Well i posted a couple of times in december regarding buying a first gen for a daily driver. I want to thank all those who responded and offerred info before, especially jg95z28 and StorminNorm among others.

I've found a car close to me that is about what i'm looking for.
It has my preferred color combo (orange/white - i'm a clemson grad) Its a clone(cheap, less worries), 4spd, built engine, etc. Most of what i want, with the exception of not having power disc brakes and A/C, but i guess you can't ask for everything. Here is the ebay link (below). The guy said he'd take 12,7- for the car which is the starting ebay price. He said there's no rust on the car, no dents, dings or scratches. Said the paint was in very good condition. He said all gauges work and that the interior is also in good shape, but i'm not too crazy about the custom interior. I'm going to be taking a look at it and test driving it this weekend.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6161

Any comments or opinions or whatever are greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to get a feel for what these cars are worth. Is 12,7-- reasonable? Should I offer less and see what he says?

A couple of questions:

1) For those that didn't read the link, its a 400 small block bored over to 406, 202 Dart heads, Sharpie roller rockers with polly locks, Lunati true roller cam shaft, Victor Junior intake. He didn't give me the specs on the cam, and i'm assuming its still got the stock exhaust manifolds, but he did say it had flowmasters so maybe he's got headers too. In any case, what kind of HP would a motor like this be making? Or give me a range going from stock or close to stock/tame cam and stock exhaust manfolds up to a fairly aggressive cam and a nice set of long tubes.

2) How much does it cost to convert to power disc brakes (front only)? what if i just wanted to convert to power brakes using the drum brakes that are there? (is there even such a thing as power drum brakes - forgive my ignorance)

3) Is a 3.42 gear and M21 gonna make for reasonable daily driving at 70 or so mph? Anybody know the gear ratios for the M21? Is 4th 1:1? If so I'm looking at like 4k rpms at highway speed or somethign like that right? That can't be good for say a 200 or 300 mile trip on the highway. Do they make like a 2.8X gear for daily driving? How hard is it to switch out the rear gear, with basic tools and someone who's fairly mechanically inclined? Or is it easier to just change out the whole thing, differential and all? How much difference does the rear gear make in acceleration. Lets say camaro A has 400hp, 3500lb car, m21 4-spd and a 2.8 gear and camaro B is exactly the same as A but with a 4.3 rear gear? How different would there 1/8 mile E.T's be? Would the 4.3 gear be hitting the redline in 4th in the 1/4?

Sorry for all the questions, with everything in number 3, looks like i might should have just started a second thread relating to rear gear ratios and such, but i'll just leave it all there.

Sorry for the long post! thank you to those to who take the time to read it all and respond, it is much appreciated!!!

-Rob
Old 01-22-2004, 11:51 AM

I LOVE the 1968 bodies on the first gen. Camaro's.
This one looks BEAUTIFUL!

$12,700 is pretty reasonable considering the rareaty of these now a days esp. the '68.

1) I can't tell you what HP but the torque on that 406 will be very streetable, down low where you'll feel it. (Over 400 at the crank considering those Dart heads)

2) There are alot of companies that offer front/rear drum to disc conversions. - Baer, Stainless Steel Brakes and lots of others so there is quite a bit of shopping to do there.

3) With 1:1 and 3.42 rear gear, at 60 MPH you will be revving at approx. 3000 RPM at 70 MPH approx. 3500 RPM.
The M21 is 1:1 in 4th.

Hope this sheds some light. I'm sure there will be others that could provide more insight.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:00 PM

Re: Thoughts on car and a few General Q's

Originally posted by 1quick7
Well i posted a couple of times in december regarding buying a first gen for a daily driver. I want to thank all those who responded and offerred info before, especially jg95z28 and StorminNorm among others... -Rob
You're welcome Rob!

Other than the rear stripes being upside down... its a cool car! (I'm particular that way. )

That sounds like a fair deal assuming there really is no rust and the engine, tranny and rearend are strong.

On to your specific questions...

1.) Not sure, but if I had to guess somewhere in the 350-400 HP range not knowing anything else about the motor.

2.) Checkout PST's website. http://www.p-s-t.com They have a drum to power dics kit that's a direct bolt on (I have it on my 67 RS.) Yes there is such a thing as power drums as there is such a thing as non-power front disc. (The blue 67 coupe we're building has non-power front discs.) Baer also makes a kit that allows you to maintain the stock ralley wheels as well. IMO, the power disc conversion on my 67 RS makes it stop better that the computer controlled four wheel disc setup on my 95 Z-28.

3.) The M21's ratios are 2.20, 1.64, 1.28, 1.00. (1-4) The 3.42's are a little steep for highway driving, but heck I managed it with and open 3.08 10-bolt and powerglide so I don't see why not.

Good luck. Its a nice looking Z-28 clone.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:08 PM

Might be the picture but it looks like the hood is a little misalligned on the drivers side. That might be cause for concern so check the front fenders really well from the inside (inside the engine compartment) and look for filled in holes. If you see holes in the fenders I'd assume it's been wrecked. The lines on a car will tell you the cars story if you look hard enough.

12,700 is a reasonable asking price...I would offer him much less and threaten to walk away if he won't take 10500.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:25 PM

yeah, it does look like fender is off a bit on the driverside, might just not be aligned fully.. Id look at that but its probably not that much of a problem it seems to be straight but the gap is slightly larger on that side.

If I could find one that nice for 13k around here I woulda saved up and spent it on that. Interior is only thing I would touch on that car
Old 01-22-2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by FiefSS
Interior is only thing I would touch on that car
God yes!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:44 PM

Good looking car - most questions have already been answered so that is all I have to say.

Only thing is that people tend to exxagerate when they say everything works. Its never that way. Just be open minded and do a lot of reading and research before jumping on something.