Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

My headlights stopped functioning the other day..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 10:06 PM

My headlights stopped functioning the other day..

Hey fellas, have I got a story for you.

Ok so the other day, I went to the movies with my girl. It was pirates of the carribean, which is a damn good movie if you guys haven't seen it yet. So either way I drop her off, and it's gettin dark (It's summer don't forget, gets late at 9, and her parents insisted). I pull the lever back on my 1978 Camaro back, and start drivin, taking note that I don't have much visibility, which is very unusual..

When I get home, I park in front of the garage, and notice that all I'm seeing are the parking lights and not the headlights hitting the garage door I hop outta the car, and those headlights aren't on. I make sure I've got the lever all the way out, still no headlights.. I go, huh, and grab my dog for a walk. When I come back, I notice that my interior light is on.. This is the first time I've ever seen it on, in fact I didn't even know I had a bulb in there. I run inside and grab a rag to unscrew the bulb, since it was too dark to look at anything. (even if it was bright, I don't know where to look right now.) I start unscrewing the bulb, and the rag slips outta my hands, I grab the light with my thumb and index finger. Right when I say, "OW SH**" the f-ing light turns off!!!

The next day, a buddy of mine and I went out in his car to get some stuff for a day at chatfield.. After he drops me off and I'm walkin back into the house, I notice that THE DA** LIGHT IS ON AGAIN!! I run in the house and grab some pliers this time since I can't find any gloves. I noticed that the light was on clips (which is why I couldn't unscrew it the night before, duh!) and pull down.. I went inside, put the light on the table, and here we are.

The first night this happened was thursday, friday I took the bulb out. Yesterday and today I've been able to just start her up and go about my business no problem, which is pretty easy since these old cars don't really need much electricity.. The thing that gets me is that my radio works fine, it's just the bulb...

My question to you guys is, what do you think is wrong and how do I check? I'm thinking either the alternator or just a messed up fuse. I don't know how to check the alternator, and I don't know where the fuse box is.. Oh merciful Camaro guys, spare me!!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:26 AM

I think its gonna be the switch. If it has melted inside that would explain why your dome light is on. If you twist your switch all the way on it turns on the dome light (as well as brightens/dims the guage lights). You will have to diagnose further but thats the first thing I would look at (AFTER the basics, look at the fuses, make sure the lights are plugged in etc).
CoryM