Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

help with my starter and fuel problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM

help with my starter and fuel problem!

Good afternoon,

I just installed my 408ci SBC and my new TKO 600 tranny

problem 1: the new mini starter will just click when turning the key, then sometimes engage and start the car, and then sometimes it makes a grinding noise w/o the engine turning over at all....

problem 2: I use a holly electric fuel pump and a holly regulator. I set the regulator pressure to 6psi (recommended by my builder) and after start up my carb (AED 750cfm) just overflows and floods.

thanks all
Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 AM

1: Bad connection/low voltage can cause those symptoms. Grinding is usually the bendix not being kicked out far enough to engage flywheel. Also possible starter might need shimming, but the intermittent clicking would indicate connection/voltage issue. Check especially everything in the key feed (purple) wire circuit up to the solenoid, including the crimp at the ring terminal. If the terminal got replaced, do not trust crimped, solder. If everything looks ok, check engine ground to battery.

2: Probably dirt in one, or both, of the inlet needles, common on a new install. On a Holley, they pop right out the top, so easy to clean. Remove lock screw, use nut to turn it out, clean needle/seat with carb cleaner.

When you reinstall, screw needle all the way down till about 2-3 threads are sticking out the top, just enough to grab with the nut with lower nut gasket installed. This will leave float level low, do final adjust by using the side sight holes on the fuel bowls as follows: install top gasket & lock screw, turn on pump. Fuel should just dribble out of the sight hole when properly adjusted. If too low, simultaneously loosen lock screw a bit and adjust nut CCW about 1/4 turn and let level settle. Adjust as necessary till you get the dribble. A rag under bowl comes in handy.

p.s. don't use those clear sight plugs. Then can distort your view/adjustment. You rarely have to adjust the floats, so just keep the brass side plugs. Just don't lose those little POS gaskets.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM

wow thanks a lot

i am going to have to read your carb fix a few times before i mess with it. scared i may mess something up

as for the starter, i totally forgot to install a new motor to frame ground
and it doesn't look "right" to me. kinda has a very slight angle

i really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, that was great
Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Cleaning/adjusting needles is cake on a Holley. Just be careful not to cross thread the needles on reinstall, soft brass requires a light touch, a light wipe of vaseline on needle's O ring helps too.

Originally Posted by 67speeda
and it doesn't look "right" to me. kinda has a very slight angle
Engine sits at a slight angle side to side? If so, Ive seen that happen when a V8 was installed on 6 banger mounts in 67-9 Fbods, 68-71 Xbods.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM

small update:

cleaning and readjusting the floats seemed to have done the trick. (only did one side as of now, the front) I can't start the car with the starter problem so well have to wait and see....
The only situation with the carburetor at this time is that the venture (i really dont know exactly what the right terminology is, the hole in the carb ) that is to front right if in the driver seat or the left rear looking at the carb from the front of the car is constantly filling with fuel. with the plate closed it just piles up. is this the idle?
running at the recommended 6psi fuel pressure

as for the starter:
I made a few more ground connections (the motor is also on solid engine mounts)
The starter will turn it over and then stop and grind. I am scared of keep trying different set up's for fear of destroying my flywheel. any good instructions on the proper way to get the starter lined up/shimmed
Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 PM

newer update:

The starter bolts were bent (IDK how)
purchased new grade 8 bolts and works like a charm now

fuel is also kinda fixed. No more fuel flowing everywhere but now i need to get the car to idle. just fires, revs, idles, stumbles, dies.... and repeats

chills ran down my spine to finally hear my baby come back to life. last time i drove it was in high school. (the open headers didn't hurt either )
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 67speeda
newer update:

The starter bolts were bent (IDK how)
purchased new grade 8 bolts and works like a charm now

fuel is also kinda fixed. No more fuel flowing everywhere but now i need to get the car to idle. just fires, revs, idles, stumbles, dies.... and repeats

chills ran down my spine to finally hear my baby come back to life. last time i drove it was in high school. (the open headers didn't hurt either )

You might want to check for vacuum leaks as well around the carb/intake. Vacuum hose checks too to make sure that none are leaking. Just to check, never hurts. I would say you still are having issues with to much fuel. I have a similar issue with to much fuel. Mine is a jet problem. Not sure what yours may be...Plenty on a holley that could cause oddities if not adjusted or set right...
Old 09-04-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Angelis83LT
You might want to check for vacuum leaks as well around the carb/intake. Vacuum hose checks too to make sure that none are leaking. Just to check, never hurts. I would say you still are having issues with to much fuel. I have a similar issue with to much fuel. Mine is a jet problem. Not sure what yours may be...Plenty on a holley that could cause oddities if not adjusted or set right...
okay i will have to look into that....

while i was at the fire house tonight i thought about a vacuum problem too. I never even looked to see if the ports where plugged up or not. opps

the carb was dyno tuned to the motor this time in 07. then sat in my room since yesterday. The fuel was drained and it was stored in a sealed plastic bag.

too keep the motor alive i have to keep tapping the throttle. maybe i set the floats too low? the notes on my build sheet said that the motor may need idle adjustments.

once again, you have been a life saver!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Angelis83LT
forgot to plug the vacuum for the power brakes...

thanks