Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Does anyone know Greg McGann?? (http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

Angry Does anyone know Greg McGann?? (http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro)

Anyone know this guy?

He keeps getting the Klez virus in e-mail(like everyone else). As most of you know when it sends itself to someone, it spoofs the return e-mail address.

(See THIS link for information on how it spoofs e-mail addresses. Click the link and scroll to the part halfway down where is says "Email spoofing")

The bigger problem is, it is spoofing an old e-mail address of mine that still happens to work. It is an alias e-mail address so I can't send mail from it, but when someone sends e-mail to it, it gets forwarded to my current working e-mail address. It doesn't even exist, technically. In fact, I haven't used it in over 5 years.

Greg is getting these virus e-mails and thinks they are coming from me, when it actually isn't due to the e-mail address spoofing (see explanation above). As he gets them, he doesn't bother looking at the e-mail header information (which contains the real return e-mail address) and just replies to the spoofed return address (my old one mentioned above) with threats of how I keep sending him viruses (which I am not. Again, see explanation above) and he is going to mailbomb me or something if I don't stop (how can I stop something that I am not even doing in the first place?). I have replied a couple of times explaning that they are not coming from me, I have the best virus protection available, and that e-mail address doesn't even exist and gave him links to read about how the virus spoofs return e-mail addresses.

He is obviously not reading them because he keeps threatening me with dumb crap like flooding my e-mail box and stuff like that. He says he is an "IT Professional" and has a big pipe and can shut me down, etc... If he was a professional, he would understand how basic e-mail works.

So, after e-mailing him with no message back like "Gee, I am sorry. I didn't mean to be such an *** making threats over something I know nothing about", I have tried looking him up to call him and explain it to him but that didn't work out well. I have ICQ'd him telling him the real deal with no avail.

Does anyone know him personally? He runs http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro .

If anyone knows him, can you please call him up or e-mail him and tell him to knock off the threats until he takes the time to actually read the facts on things?

And Greg, if you are reading this...
GET A CLUE.

------------------
Jason Debler - Webmaster/Editor
CamaroZ28.Com * TurboBuick.Com * ChasingStanley.Com
2002 Camaro SS - DMS Springs and BMR Suspension coming soon!
Old 09-08-2002, 11:55 PM

Talking

So I take it he isn't smart enough to just block your old email address? Thus seeing that if it still comes to him that in fact it isn't from you since it's being blocked.

Also he can simply view the email source and see the paths the email came from.

------------------
1967 Camaro SS - 468 BBC modified
------------------
1967 Camaro RS - 327 stock
------------------
1969 Camaro Z/28 - DZ302 stock
------------------
2000 Ducati 996
------------------
Member of the Eastern Michigan Camaro Club

[This message has been edited by firstgen (edited September 09, 2002).]
Old 09-09-2002, 11:18 AM

The problem actually is someone who has your email address in their address book has the virus. The virus attacks their address book, yet the email it sends out looks like its coming from you. Its typically a completely different person spreading it around.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jg95z28:
The problem actually is someone who has your email address in their address book has the virus. The virus attacks their address book, yet the email it sends out looks like its coming from you. Its typically a completely different person spreading it around.</font>
Yep, I know that and Greg would know that too if he took the time to go to the link I sent him. Instead, I get these threats about how I should "Prepare for the consequences."

------------------
Jason Debler - Webmaster/Editor
CamaroZ28.Com * TurboBuick.Com * ChasingStanley.Com
2002 Camaro SS - DMS Springs and BMR Suspension coming soon!
Old 09-10-2002, 07:19 AM

Break the old email account, so if/when he sends you the "consequences" it'll all bounce back to him as undeliverable.

This virus is a major PITA. When they find the bozo who created this, they should hang him by his gonads from a street lamp downtown.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:54 PM

i have the klez fix from nortons web site it cleaned my system at work as well as our server. The next step is to download a copy of innoculan personal addition for a free trial. this will scan the mail before it gets to you. good luck sucks being you right now.
if you want i can email the attachment to just give me your address. i'll mail you not you mail me.