Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

What's the best way to quite down the interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 11:10 PM

What's the best way to quite down the interior?

Just like the topic says, I'd like to know what's the best way to quite down my Firebird's interior.

My car has always been loud, but since I switched over to LT's, it's REALLY loud. I'm talking crazy loud here I don't mind it at all 99% of the time but when I'm on the highways, it tends to make it hard to listen to my music. Normally I would just crank up the volume but I can't always do that when I have passengers in the car.

I did a search and discovered a whole boatload of different manufacturer's out there selling what they claim is the "best" for surpressing noise. Whether it's spay-on coating or material which must be laid on.

I DONT want to add like 100+ pounds of extra weight to the car. Keeping the weight down is very important to me. I realize that I'm going to be adding some weight, I just don't want to add a lot.

I want a good combination of lightweight material and good sound insulation. I've haven't heard a lot of good thing's about the spay on stuff. A friend of mine tried some last year and he still hasn't gotton rid of the smell yet. (Yes it really is that bad)

Has anyone here tried Dynomat? It seems to be the most popular brand. I'd like to do the entire floor and hatch area first. How much would I need and where's a good place to order it from? Price?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by '93 formy ...; 05-02-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:33 AM

I started this post over at CAF.. maybe it'll help yah out

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=186001
Old 05-03-2004, 06:20 AM

I use 3M ruberized undercoating, I have about 12 cans on the interior of my car, and have NO smell at all.

I tried the mat stuff, but was NOT impressed in the install, nor the deadening qualities.

I've used this on MANY cars and never had any adverse effects, except maks everything off that you don't want it to stick to, I helped someone do this, and luckily they were spraying, and they dripped onto their paint, it DOESN'T come off....
Old 05-05-2004, 11:16 AM

Re: What's the best way to quite down the interior?

Originally posted by '93 formy ...
I DONT want to add like 100+ pounds of extra weight to the car. Keeping the weight down is very important to me. I realize that I'm going to be adding some weight, I just don't want to add a lot.
One solution for you is to maybe try just putting sound deadener just in the hatch area and see if that helps make the exhaust note not as loud. That would make it so you wouldn't have to use as much and maybe that will help things out.

Originally posted by '93 formy ...
Has anyone here tried Dynomat? It seems to be the most popular brand. I'd like to do the entire floor and hatch area first. How much would I need and where's a good place to order it from? Price?

I personally am using B-Quiet exteme in my car and it's working great. Beyond it being quieter in the car you can't tell it's there! You can look for info in regards to them by going too www.b-quiet.com. They are fairly priced and it sticks on really well. The B-Quiet Exteme is some pretty light stuff (for what it does) and it performs really well. There's a science to sound deadening and don't let the people that tell it's just adding mass fool you into thinking that's all it's about, there's more to it than that.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:35 AM

i would put some aroun the trans tunnel and in the back. I dont know much about how good each product is, but i would just use some dynomat or equivilant and be done with it.