Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion
View Poll Results: What is the best car sub and why?
JL Audio
27.27%
Kicker
27.27%
Adire
9.09%
Audiobahn
4.55%
Focal
0%
Boston Acoustics
4.55%
Image Dynamics
9.09%
PPI
0%
Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood
4.55%
Other (dang there is too many)
13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

What's the best car sub and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by 79BlueRocket
for small spaces i say go with Lanzar subs. they work extremely well in little to no room(the box almost completely wraps around them). my buddy has a set of 15s in the back of his car and when we put the subs in the magnet rubbed on the back of the box. but when he cranks it they push some major bass.

another one of my personal favorites is the DD9510. it hit i think 165 dB at one time. not sure if the number is correct but i know they can handle almost 1500 watts.
Nice feedback. I've never heard of Lanzar but they look nice. Check out this controversial thread about DD subs:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/a...topic/574.html

Last edited by Tekprodave; 06-30-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:40 PM

i have a friend who runs DD subs for comp and he just runs the **** out of em. he has 4 10s in a sealed box in his explorer. he also runs 8 crossfire 2200D amps. 2 amps per sub. he hasnt blown a sub yet and he is cranking about 159 dB right now.

lanzars were reffered to me by a guy who did my entire stereo system(nothing fancy) who said if i ever wanted big bass they were what i wanted to go with. he also gives me a 1 yr no questions asked warranty on em. i only gota pay for shipping. i mean he has only had 2 people blow em and that was because they were not hooked up right. lanzars imho are awesome subs
Old 07-01-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Tekprodave
Bahaha. Tell me about it. I only have ONE 10" solobaric L7 and it was hitting so hard the dash was shaking and the rear view mirror vibrated right off the mount and fell on the floor!!

Just ONE of these 10" L7's when setup right can provide a very invigorating full body massage.
oh yea!? mine took a chunk of the windshield glass right out I can take a pic of what it looks like glued back together if you dont believe me
Old 07-01-2004, 03:50 PM

I'm assuming most of you; from what has been said and the talk of the systems in question; are all bass heads... Most of the setups and experiences that you are talking about are all SPL setups... they can get very loud, but musically they sound like fecies...

The ones that I and RThompson (pardon the mispelling if I did) have suggested may not be as "loud" but will sound 100* better...

I'm replacing 2 Kicker s12L7s powered by an Audiobahn A2200HCX, with 2 10" Adire Brahmas each powered by a Hifonics BX1500D. I've heard the Kickers and the Brahmas in other vehicles (same car, new/old install) and the SQ difference was AMAZING... to say the least...
Old 07-01-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
I'm assuming most of you; from what has been said and the talk of the systems in question; are all bass heads... Most of the setups and experiences that you are talking about are all SPL setups... they can get very loud, but musically they sound like fecies...
nope, GS redlines make very clear bass when sealed. However if you port them, they get even louder and yes, sound like fecies (I only ran them ported once and thats not when the mirror came off)
Old 07-03-2004, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
oh yea!? mine took a chunk of the windshield glass right out I can take a pic of what it looks like glued back together if you dont believe me
I believe you.... saw the same thing happen in a friend's car with a pair of SS reference subs from the early 90's with a punny 200 watts each in a prefab bandpass in his Bonneville.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:24 PM

Infinity Kappa perfect subwoofers are pure heaven. They pound heavy and sound crystal clear to boot!
What about Alpine Type R 12s? Those are supposedly better.
Call me mainstream but I'm new to this Car Audio Game. Most people who know nothing about it are the ones who claim their Sony Xplod 6x9s on the clearance rack @ Wall Mart sound better than my Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5s.
Alpine is apparently coming out with a Type X subwoofer better than the Type R, or maybe just under the R and superior to the S.
I am looking for two 12 inch subwoofers that I can pound nicely to not give me too much bass (I'll turn it down on the deck) but when I want to really pound them, I'll crank the **** out of them! )
I listen to people who think their setup is superior to mine because it's louder. I sit in their car and hear their sub rattle my fillings loose but they sound flat and "bloated"
I was looking at some Polk Audios on Sounddomain. Why doesn't sounddomain carry Alpine?
I think they are sore at them for some reason
Old 07-07-2004, 02:53 PM

I have had many subs in my car. Some of the better sounding subs included Image IDmax, Infinity Perfect, and believe it or not Powerbass Evolution 12s. I am in the process of trying the single 10L7 Kicker thing. I have 1k watts and want one sub that won't take much space. My wifes car has JL W3s. I also have an explorer with Infinity Kappa 12s. In my ported enclosure tuned to 29hz they sound wonderful, powered by Zapco Ref 350. I am in total agreement that the enclosure is just as important as the speaker itself. Older Crystal CMP subs are awesome. Best thing to do is measure a sub by power you plan to use vs the available box space. You will be alot happier than playing the name game.