Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Want to bypass stock bose amps

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 02:00 PM

Question Want to bypass stock bose amps

Hello everyone..i'm hoping someone who has done this before can help me out.

--Background--
I've got a 1996 Z28 with the delco/bose 5 speaker system. I want to put in an aftermarket Kenwood stereo. I've got the harnesses from the new radio to the adapter harness that fits in place of the stock radio. That installation went flawlessly...however i have no sound! I did a search, and found that there is a specific signal that the stock bose stereo sends to the amplifier in the car to read, and in turn amplify the sound. It seems that these amplifiers cannot read the signal properly from my new deck.

--What i want to do--
I want to try and bypass the stock amplification system in it, but cannot figure out for the life of me the codes. There is a harness on the left side of the trunk which leads into the amplifier. I tested these wires, and found the right and left rear speakers. I can't figure out the fronts!

--What i'm thinking--
I know there is a harness available that will translate the aftermarket unit's signal so the amplifiers can read it..but i don't want to double amplify the speakers, or muss anything up, hence me asking here. I want to splice into the harness in the rear of the car with a seperate outside amplifier, thus effectively bypassing the stock Bose amps. I hope

I have searched on the 'net (including http://www.installdr.com )and on this site for anything that would tell me the codes for either inside the amplifier, or the actual wiring colours that lead to the speakers, to no avail. All i can find is the codes for the factory harness and in-dash wiring. It seems they change colour from behind the dash to where they connect to the speaker. *sigh*

Any help on how to do this without running all brand new wire to each speaker from the amp would be greatly appreciated!! In the meantime, i'll be outside with my trusty multimeter!

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Take care,
Tim
Old 04-21-2003, 12:31 PM

just a little warning, i would not hook up the bose speakers to the headunit amp, or any amp other than the bose amp. i have a 96 camaro that used to have the bose 5 speaker system. i have changed it out about 4 years ago. the problem is that the bose speakers run at .5 ohms, yes that's 1/2 ohm. this will very quickly burn up your amp. i had an adapter put in behind my deck when i changed to a cd player. it allowed me to use the stock bose amps and speakers, with an aftermarket cd player. you might want to find some info on this. i can't remember who makes it but just call a car audio shop, ask if they sell something like this, and go pick one up from them. goodluck
Old 04-21-2003, 12:39 PM

i had the same problem when putting in an aftermarket HU in my grand prix. The HU turns on but no sound comes out of the speakers.

The problem is not that your amp can't read the signal coming from your HU, the problem is your amp is not turning on. Take it up to an audio shop, they should be able to get it to work without having to buy one of those expensive harness's.

With mine, they spliced into one wire, and connected it to something else. About 15 minutes and 20 bucks later, they had sound coming out. Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:21 PM

hmm...half ohm. That puts a wrench in the works, now doesn't it?
I do have replacement Kenwood Components ready for install, so impedence is not an issue in the long run.

What i really wanted to do was bypass the whole stock amplification system totally, and run RCA's from myt HU to my MTX outboard amps, then to the speakers. I do not want to run all new wire to the speakers, so i'm looking for the wires that run to the door speakers, inside of the car. I've found that that the harness coming out of the bose amps runs to the rear speakers, at least. I could not find a combination that produced noise from the door speakers, however.
I've done about 20 other installs, but never before with a stock amplification system. I decided i was in over my head with this one, so i put all the panels back on and the stock unit back in, as i didn't wany any fires or a blown head unit.

Anyone who can tell me where the speaker wires are inside the car for the front speakers will get a huge thanks from me!

Take care,
Tim
Old 05-21-2003, 08:18 PM

yeah i'm a little late on this thread but.....

i recently took out my front bose speakers (95 camaro) and measured their dc resistance with a multimeter....and got 3.1 ohms....so i'm not sure where this .5 ohm bose rumor started....maybe on the rear speakers or the sub....but not the fronts....
Old 05-23-2003, 11:09 PM

Thanks...

I ended up running all new wire and leaving all the stock stuff in place. That way i can just take out the aftermarket and connect everything back up with factory harnesses.

It pounds, too!!

Tim
Old 05-23-2003, 11:58 PM

even though im late and this is taken care of i am going to post a link to the adapter so people doing a search can find it as i wasnt able to about a week ago. i went the adapter route, just waiting for it to get here

http://www.affsave.com/pac.htm