Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

How hard/expensive would it be to pull EVERYTHING and replace with new equipment?

Old 07-28-2002, 10:48 AM

Post How hard/expensive would it be to pull EVERYTHING and replace with new equipment?

I have the bose system and I don't know much about car audio systems, but I'd like to yank my head unit, all the speakers, and even the speaker wires and replace with all new decent equipment. The CD player on my stock bose head unit is fubar. Also the stock system just isn't loud enough. How hard would it be to pull the old stuff out and replace with all new stuff. Don't forget, I'm a novice when I comes to this type of stuff. I'm better working under the hood than in the car. Thanks in advance.

------------------
1993 Z28 M6
116K, MAC Headers, Y-Pipe, Off-Road Pipe, K&N FIPK, Dynomax Ultra Flow Welded Muffler, 3" Cut-Out, TB Bypass, Taylor Wires, Bosch Platinum Plugs, Homemade Air Scoop, K&N Oil Breather, !Silencer, !EGR, !AIR
Old 07-28-2002, 10:53 AM

it's not to hard, order your stuff from www.crutchfield.com because they send out detailed instuctions with their products that show exactly how to do everything on YOUR car.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:23 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BigTymer:
it's not to hard, order your stuff from www.crutchfield.com because they send out detailed instuctions with their products that show exactly how to do everything on YOUR car.</font>
They better be sending out some pretty good instructions to justify their prices. Don't buy from there. People on the boards will help you. Car audio isn't a cheap hobby. It gets real expensive if you are hard to please like I am. It's not very hard to install at all. The hardest, i.e. most annoying, part is running wires, especially to the doors. The rest is pretty much screw old stuff out, hook up, screw new stuff in.

The first two questions are, how much do you want to spend?
And, when it comes to a subwoofer, are you willing to give up the rear well, or do you need that space for T-tops or other cargo?

some good online stores are
www.ikesound.com
www.woofersetc.com
www.thezeb.com

and www.subthump.com can handle whatever type of sub box you might need.

when it comes to new speakers, there are many many brands, some bad, some good. each speaker sounds different, and some people like some speakers that sound horrible to others. it's all a matter of taste, so do not buy speakers just because someone says they are good, try to demo as many different brands as possible. you'll want a 2-way component set of some sort. you don't need any speakers for the rear.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:25 PM

hey, i dont have the bose system(stock), but, i replaced everything, got new HU, got 4 Boston Acoustic speakers, and 2 JL Audio subs in the back, sounds great, not totaly sure how the bose system is set up, but, with mine, it was easy to do, only think that was hell was trying to find a whole in firewall in dash, after hour or so, said screw it, and drilled one

shouldnt be to hard....
cory

------------------
- 1998 Black Camaro A4 -

AOL/AIM: Binkyboy88
This is my AIM buddy icon:
http://www.angelfire.com/nb/corycamaro
Old 07-28-2002, 07:55 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChameleonGreen:

when it comes to new speakers, there are many many brands, some bad, some good. each speaker sounds different, and some people like some speakers that sound horrible to others. it's all a matter of taste, so do not buy speakers just because someone says they are good, try to demo as many different brands as possible. you'll want a 2-way component set of some sort. you don't need any speakers for the rear.
</font>
good point....try to go to a shop to compare a titanium dome tweeter to a silk dome tweeter, makes a difference as far as vocals go mostly

u may also want to consider:

www.caraudiocrazy.com
www.sounddomain.com
www.nexxon.com
Old 07-29-2002, 11:46 AM

couple mill