Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Which sub to go with?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:28 PM

subthump.com or look around on ebay or for people selling on forums for a stealth box

I don't know what's rated for what off the top of my head - look it up on any website that sells them and just look at the specs until you see what you want
Old 04-08-2007, 04:38 PM

alright, thanks again for all the help.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Ah where do I start.
Ok I know theres a place that sells boxes similar to this one but without the sub
http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-THUNDERFORM-...QQcmdZViewItem

The subs your asking about and the opinions your are going to receive about them are so irrelavant its not even funny. Look I can throw a set of "cheapo boomtasicos" in a hatchback with the right box and make them sound great, then put them in the wrong box in say a big ol lincoln trunk and now they sound horrible.
Point is dont take anyones word for different subs unless they work at a shop that sells and installs them and they have heard them in at least 4 different boxes in 4 different vehicles. Now they can comment on a sub, and whats even more rediculous is how your getting comments on name brands, might as well say all chevys are slow, yep thats right I rode in a cavalier so their all slow. Thats about how ignorant that comment was. No offense

For the subs your will want something that will work well in a small enclosure, I couldnt see that box being over .85 cubic foot but getting a 10" that wants a .85 cubic foot box is actually pretty easy.

Also dont buy into the hype of name brands.
Example, You have a rockford fosgate with these specs

100oz double stacked bumped and vented magnet
2" voice coil
pressed paper cone
a nifty logo that says fosgate

amd then brand x

150oz double stacked bumped and vented magnet
2.5" voice coil
glass fiber hybrid cone
NO nifty logo that says fosgate

Im sorry but Im taking brand X and probably going to save money doing it and while your in line at circuity city because you blew your $100 fosgates Ill be thinking of what the next amp Im buying will be since my system is ready for more power, or better yet I wont be thinking about my system at all since it all just works.

Check out my thread about my subs. its a couple below this one and there is some info about sub buying and such in there.

I also suggest getting a new head unit before anything but thats just me.
You can get a good name brand mid end head unit on ebay usally for around $150.
Oh I dont care about name brand speakers and amps but a name brand head unit IS A MUST !!!!!!!!!! Just trust me on that one.

Need any more help just ask, Ill help walk you through your whole system if you like.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by megahyperion
Point is dont take anyones word for different subs unless they work at a shop that sells and installs them and they have heard them in at least 4 different boxes in 4 different vehicles.
Who cares about other vehicles - we're talking about the F-body and experiences people have had with them. And 4 different boxes? That is somewhat exaggerated - if you are within specs recommended for a sealed enclosure, it would be very difficult for most people to detect any difference. Unless you are talking about different box types as well...but I think we all assumed a sealed enclosure here - more specifically, the stealth box. So if we know the box it is going into, who cares for this purpose whether or not a sub works better in another box.

Now if you were talking about subs in general, I see your point.

Originally Posted by megahyperion

For the subs your will want something that will work well in a small enclosure, I couldnt see that box being over .85 cubic foot but getting a 10" that wants a .85 cubic foot box is actually pretty easy.
The box is only .6 cu.ft. - but yea, of course it's easy to get something that wants that amount of space -- it's pretty easy to get down to as low as .4 cu.ft. (maybe not optimal - but withing recommended specs).
Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 PM

Go with subthump.com or MTX or JL stealth box designed for f-body. I would be really impressed if somebody can offer me any scientific proof of superiority of one box versus other "Sounds like ***" would not cut
Old 04-08-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by fredmr39
Who cares about other vehicles - we're talking about the F-body and experiences people have had with them. And 4 different boxes? That is somewhat exaggerated - if you are within specs recommended for a sealed enclosure, it would be very difficult for most people to detect any difference. Unless you are talking about different box types as well...but I think we all assumed a sealed enclosure here - more specifically, the stealth box. So if we know the box it is going into, who cares for this purpose whether or not a sub works better in another box.

Now if you were talking about subs in general, I see your point.

The box is only .6 cu.ft. - but yea, of course it's easy to get something that wants that amount of space -- it's pretty easy to get down to as low as .4 cu.ft. (maybe not optimal - but withing recommended specs).
Yeah I was just saying how they generalized the subwoofers. It would have been better if it read "I heard an MTX thunder 6000 in the stealth box from this manufacturer and it sounded like **** while listening to rap / rock whatever, the sub had trouble producing bass around x frequency etc.. etc.."

Now that would be understandable, but just saying all mtx's sound like **** no matter what the box or car or model is rediculous.
The MTX comment doesnt say what car/box/ or model he is reffering to.

As for the subwoofer wanting a lil more space, well thats where poly-fill comes in
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Would I want a 2, 4, or 8 ohm sub? (I know thats probably a stupid question, but I just wanna make sure I order the right thing)...and so putting 300w to a sub rated for 400 wouldn't be bad? I'm looking at the rockford p3's.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf Warrior
Would I want a 2, 4, or 8 ohm sub? (I know thats probably a stupid question, but I just wanna make sure I order the right thing)...and so putting 300w to a sub rated for 400 wouldn't be bad? I'm looking at the rockford p3's.
2 or 4 ohms. Depending on the amp, you will probably want a impedance of 2 ohms to make the most out of your amp -- so you would want either a single voice coil (SVC) 2 ohm sub, or a dual-voice coil (DVC) 4 ohm sub (where you would wire VC's in parallel to get 2 ohms).

No of course it wouldn't be bad.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:06 PM

Check your amp whether it's 2 ohm stable in mode you are trying to use it (bridged or not). A lot of amps uses regulated power supply, which provide the same wattage on all impedances.