Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Which sub to go with?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Which sub to go with?...

I don't know much about systems. I have a 300/4 directed amp, and it's powering a set of components up in the front. I'm pretty sure the components are polk (i'm not too sure, i got them a few years ago). I think they're 200 watt rms, but i only have 150 going to them. They arn't as loud as i thought they'd be, but is that just because i don't have the full 200 watts going to them?...Now, my little problem. Right now, i just want to add a little bit of bass to it. I was going to go with like a jl 10w0 or 10w3, or something like that. I was thinking about using the other 150 watts of my amp (that isn't used) to power a sub. Do you guys think i should do that, or use the whole 300 watts on a sub, and then get a 400 watt amp to power the components (sometime i'm planning on getting another set of components for the back seat)...I'm very open to suggestions here. Is this a good idea, bad idea? any better ideas? also, what kinda sub would be good to go with for 150w, and 300w? I'm not looking for anything too expensive (i want a cheap one now. college is over soon, and ill buy a better one when i start working more). i was thinking about a sub that i could buy on ebay, or maybe used, for like $150...
Old 04-04-2007, 01:28 PM

It's not the most performing and reliable configuration, but you can easily bridge 2 channels of your amp to drive a conservative 10" sub, which will blend perfectly in your whole setup. 10w0 or 10w3 will be a good choice.
When you feel like upgrading, you may want to get one more amp (1-channel, class-d, around 500RMS) and put a 10W6V2 in your stealthbox. This sub is amazing performer. Then if your current amp will be still alive, use the other two channels to drive coaxials or midbasses in sails.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:18 PM

ok. so 150w isn't too much for a 10w0?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf Warrior
ok. so 150w isn't too much for a 10w0?
It will be ok. Sub is rated on 125W RMS, just use a multimeter to set an amp gains right and you'll be golden.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143
Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 AM

is it bad to put only 150w to a 10w3? cuz i have a cheap headunit (i think it was like $150, and it doens't have bass gain on it...haha, i plan on getting a better one in a couple months).
Old 04-06-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf Warrior
is it bad to put only 150w to a 10w3? cuz i have a cheap headunit (i think it was like $150, and it doens't have bass gain on it...haha, i plan on getting a better one in a couple months).
Despite a myth, it isn't bad to underpower a sub. It will not be as loud, as it capable of, that's it. Actually, it isn't a mandatory, but a very desired feature to have a separate adjustable from HU non-fading RCA output for a sub. It is convenience and has nothing to do with power output.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Oh, ok. One more thing. Most of my friends have jl subs, but a couple others have rockfords, and one guy has mtxs. Is there much of a difference between any of them? Would you recommend another sub other than jl?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 PM

It all depends of your taste, type of music you listen most and enclosure. For a driver-side stealth box my favorite is JL 10W6v2, it works very well for different music. MTX and Rockford both produce very nice subs too. MTX subs are very popular between rock listeners, for their "more precise" bass. A lot of guys swear by Kicker. You definitely need to listen to different subs with your favorite CD before making a purchase.
One more brand, definitely deserving attention - very good quality, price and scary huge amount of satisfied buyers: http://www.edesignaudio.com
Old 04-06-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by valter
It all depends of your taste, type of music you listen most and enclosure. For a driver-side stealth box my favorite is JL 10W6v2, it works very well for different music. MTX and Rockford both produce very nice subs too. MTX subs are very popular between rock listeners, for their "more precise" bass. A lot of guys swear by Kicker. You definitely need to listen to different subs with your favorite CD before making a purchase.
One more brand, definitely deserving attention - very good quality, price and scary huge amount of satisfied buyers: http://www.edesignaudio.com
I have heard recent MTX isn't as good as they used to be, but who knows. I think you should be happy with the JL -- might also want to look into Fi Q10 and some of TCSounds products if you're going to be in the JL price range. I'm not saying JL is below them or anything (depends on personal taste, etc.) but JL's price/performance ratio isn't the best; though many who buy them feel it is well worth it. And yes check out ED as well, but stay away from their SQ10 based on modeling simulations I have seen.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Alright guys, thanks for the help.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:49 PM

Ive got a friend who has MTX subs and they sound like *** to me no matter what you throw at them.

Another buddy of mine has rockford punches, they sound pretty decent imo.

I have a 10" alipine type r in a sealed stealth box and I listen to rock/metal and I'm really happy with the way it sounds.

JL makes good stuff too, but they are really overpriced..

if its what you really want and you don't mind paying more go for the JLs but theres alot of other subs out there that are just as clean for alot less.

alot of people dont like messing with their amps, setting the sensitivity, boost and cutoff, so they don't really have their stuff sounding the way it could. If you go with a reputable sub brand and you have a decent amp, I'm sure you'll be able to pump out the right amount of extra bass you want.

If you have room, get a seperate amp for your sub(s) so you don't have to cater around your current low wattage amp.

Last edited by plusandrew; 04-07-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:08 PM

oh yeah! i forgot about alpine. one of my friends had a type r and i liked it...what kind of alpine would be good to use for 150w, and 300w? and you guys said that a sub rated for 300w would be ok to use (for awhile) with only 150w?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:13 PM

A lot of people like the type R's -- they're a good choice if you're going for SPL. Comparing the JL and the type R's though is hard to do since they are different types of subs. And of course you can power them with less what they are rated for.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 PM

which type r is rated for 300w? i only know the different types of jl subs.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:24 PM

also, where can i buy a stealth box? and how much do they cost?

Quick Reply: Which sub to go with?...