Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

speakers shot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 PM

speakers shot?

I recently purchased a 96 z28 convertible and started to do small things to it. The previous owner had an older aftermarket head unit in it so I decided to slap a new Sony in there. It's power output is 17 watts rms x 4 at 4 ohms. I noticed that the speakers just didn't have a lot of bass to them. (They were the same with the other head unit as well) The highs and mid sound clear and loud, but they just sound flat. If I turn the volume up, no cracking so I don't think they are blown. No matter how much I adjust the settings on the deck, I can't get it right. Now, I do think they are the 4 original speakers so I'm thinking they might be worn? I don't know if the previous owner had subs in there before I bought it or if he messed around too much with the wiring.

Maybe I should stop typing and go get some new 6.5's? Maybe New wiring as well? I don't really want to get a desperate sub or amps or anything, just want a fuller sound.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: speakers shot?

The first thing I would do: In case the wiring has been modded or any speakers were replace without regard to phasing, check the phasing front-to-back. To do that adjust the balance on the head unit to left speakers only, then try reversing one left side speaker's wires while noting any change in the bass. If they get swapped for any reason, you will lose a lot of bass. Then do the same faded to front speakers only and try swapping the right front speaker wires as above. Repeat the same process with the right speakers as with the left speakers. To double-check the phasing, download the 96 service manual and examine the speaker wire colors with regard to the markings on the speakers (A and B, + and -, or red and black). All that matters is that there is consistency, not necessarily a match of the ones in the manual.

For a short/easy check, see if the bass increases when the controls are adjusted to one side only, or to front or back only. That is usually an indication of phase mismatch.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 04-10-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will try and check out the wiring situation as soon as I can. (this weekend is devoted to a clutch replacement) I was tempted to remove the speaker grills from the rear tonight just to see if the cone is moving at all. Also, like I noted, I want to see if they are indeed the stock speakers.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Of course I don't know what speakers you have, but just in case: Do not pry off the grill-cloth from any original Delco/GM speakers because that can destroy the bond holding the cones to the frame. It is ok to remove the separate plastic grills that are not attached to the speakers, however. The reason I mentioned it is because most Delco speakers have an integral grill-cloth glued to the frame, so you would not be able to see the cones from the front of the speaker.