Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Sound Quality Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 11:23 PM

Sound Quality Issue

Ok here's the problem.....I have a 97 Trans Am and a 95 Firebird....my Firebird has the stock CD player and stock speakers (i think, i bought the car for 1500 and no history of the car was given to me when I asked the previous owner, but speakers apear to be stock and never removed) And in my T/A I have a Kenwood MP3 50x4watt headunit some Pioneer 6x9s in a custom made box for the rear cargo area, 6in Sony Xplod speakers in the middle, and infinity 3 inch speakers in the doors.....problem is the stock system in my 95 sounds better and has more thump than the crap I have in my T/A.......confusing the hell out of me......any suggestions on what to do or what is wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:38 PM

Re: Sound Quality Issue

Aren't there some type of subs in the stock setup (6.5" in the sail panels?)

That would be why your stock system has more thump I think.

Don't the door speakers take a 6.5" or 6.75" full range? (sorry, I have a camaro, stereo options are some what simpler than in the ta's).

I have some components up front, and 6.5" coaxails in the sail panels.. Got rid of the hatch speakers completely now.

What a difference.. Sound is very full and alive... even with the sub turned off.

You should be able to get somewhat reasonable sound from your 6x9's (2 of them right?) . You're not running all this through the headunit?????

If so, your system is way under powered I'd say..

Best suggestion would be to get an amp to run the 6x9's, and 6".
Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 AM

I would say too many mis-matched speakers in the T/A. Whereas the stock stereo is designed and balanced perfectly for the car.

Personally, I'd start clean in the T/A, and install a good set of components in the front, and a set of mid-bass drivers in the sail panels, and I'll be you'll be a LOT happier.

And FYI... stay far far away from Sony's car audio line, they are CRAP.

I would look into some Kicker, RF, CDT, Pioneer speakers for the T/A. The Infiniti's are not known for bass reporduction, and in fact suck at reproducing lows. The Sony's are helping any either, they are a poor speaker.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:10 AM

do you have an amp on the speakers in the T/A? I know some after market speakers sound terrible without and amp attached. Even if the headunit has good power. just a thought...
Old 07-13-2005, 10:10 AM

No AMP, so that could me a major problem.....
- Got the speakers for free, my car got broken into and they stole every speaker, headunit, my nice set of snap on tools and my spare tire? out of it. My friend decided to hook me up with brand new speakers he had laying around and thats what he gave me...The headunit I bought just because I didn't want to waste time saving up money to get a really good one at the point and just wanted to be able to listen to the raido/music while driving. Although I do love listening to the V8, it does get lonely without a radio after a while...
- I removed the rear panel speakers and made a custom box to fit behind the backseat nice and snug between the two rear panels for the 6x9s (if I weren't in DC i would snap a pic of it for ya)
- I know the front door speakers take up to 6.5, but they were blown and I had the 3in. speakers so I just slapped those in.
- I'm looking into getting a new headunit soon anyways because that Kenwood one is crap and doesn't even read half the MP3 cds I make. Any suggestions on what type of headunit and what type of amp? And any type of setup for an amp that is easily removed because I autoX a lot too? thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 PM

You can get decent sound out of most decent HU's, but it won't compare to an amp setup. And I would not suggest removing and replacing the amp for Auto-X, I'd either just leave it in, or not even bother.

As for HU's, I'm an Alpine or Eclipse fan myself. But I've had decent luck with Kenwoods, and Clarion's as well. Many many people like Pioneers, but I personally have had a lot of bad luck with them.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:55 PM

get a alpine hu they have always been good and a phoneix gold or ppi amp, they are awesome amps
Old 07-14-2005, 02:20 AM

I think of lot of it comes from precieved sound quality. I always thought the sound quality from my 01 bonneville was noticably better then that of my camaro which had a $300 head unit and new front end components. Untill I added a couple of 6x9's for midbass response and vola. Music can be very "clean" sounding and still sound bad without a certain amount of bass.

And get this amp, its way over kill imo but you'll never find anything cheaper that gets 150 wts RMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=18796&rd=1

Last edited by Montezuma; 07-14-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Montezuma
I think of lot of it comes from precieved sound quality. I always thought the sound quality from my 01 bonneville was noticably better then that of my camaro which had a $300 head unit and new front end components. Untill I added a couple of 6x9's for midbass response and vola. Music can be very "clean" sounding and still sound bad without a certain amount of bass.

And get this amp, its way over kill imo but you'll never find anything cheaper that gets 150 wts RMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=18796&rd=1
DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT get that amp... I said that Sony's car audio was junk, that is much much worse. There is no way that a $25 amp is going to produce a clean 150Wrms. Not to mention Lighting Audio is not anything I'd suggest to anyone looking for a SQ setup, their stuff is the stuff you can buy at the dome-sales/flea-markets.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 AM

These no name ultra high power low price amps remind me the product lines from JC whitney.

1500 watts for $59.95!

Pure junk.

With alot of car audio equipment, you get what you pay for. Just listen to all the car going down the street playing the trunk or license plate songs --- Of course, depending what you're listening to, that may be acceptable too.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:16 PM

The amp puts out a clean 150 watts RMS and its a refurbished amp thats why its so cheap. They retail online at arround $70 before shipping. They are owned by Rockford Fosgate.

Last edited by Montezuma; 07-14-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:48 AM

They maybe owned by RF, but I guarentee that it is no where near a clean signal. And $70 for that amp, even refurb'd shows me the quality of the amp.

Most clean amplifiers, even for 100Wrms are well into the 100's of dollars.

And just because a brand is owned by a company doesn't mean the products compare. A Saturn does not equal a Caddi....
Old 07-15-2005, 02:14 PM

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...=041346#000000
Old 07-15-2005, 02:19 PM

Yea... so... comparing it to Profile, Power Acoustik, and all the other basement brands listed doesn't say that much.

Put it next to a Kicker, PPI, Soundstream, Phoenix Gold, Xtant, etc, and it wouldn't stand a chance for a clean amplification.

For an entry-level amp it maybe ok, but for quality, look elsewheres.