Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

replace hatch speakers with 8" subs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 08:40 PM

replace hatch speakers with 8" subs?

has anyone ever done this successfully? i have 2 8" fosgate subs that i got as freebies...i currently have 2 12's in a milhouse type setup that i fabbed up but i'm really not that big on having huge bass...most of what i listen to is punk, hardcore & metal...i have tested the 8's and feel they are suitable for what i am looking for soundwise... i really don't care for having the hatch speakers which is my reason for wanting to put the subs there as well as my desire to not give up any trunk space...thanks for any input
Old 10-17-2004, 08:54 PM

Re: replace hatch speakers with 8" subs?

i dont see this being possible without some serious fabrication. people have a hard time fitting 6x9's back there.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:40 PM

There isn't enough mounting depth in the hatch speaker spots. Besides you can't mount a subwoofer in a flimsy plastic panel and expect it to sound good. Sub enclosures are typically made of wood or MDF. A flimsy piece of plastic aint gonna cut it. You would have to do some serious glass work to do what you have in mind.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:49 PM

sorry...didn't make myself 100% clear on what i planned on doing...i do understand fabbing would have to be done to make this possible...was never planning on mounting to the flimsy plastic
Old 10-18-2004, 04:21 AM

actually there is enough mounting depth for 8" subs, depending on the subwoofer. I have two 8" Pyramids that i got for 20 bucks from my friend, and they would definately fit mounting depth, but it's width that would be a problem. There is no way you could fit a 8" speaker into the current speaker holes without some modifications, or atleast in my car it is that way, because of some foam and such in the panel. Personally, i wouldn't put subs in the back hatch because you'll loose a lot of treble. Treble is very directional, unlike bass, if you put treble speakers infront of you, it will sound better than it will if they were behind you, however, subwoofers can be placed in any spot in the car, preferably in the trunk (especially facing outside the car, so the sound reverbs towards you, which makes it much louder on the inside.) What i'd recommend if you are really serious about having 8" subs, would be to custom make a small 8" box and keep the 6.75" rear speakers, or if you really really want the 8" subs in the rear 6.75" spots, then i'd recomend picking up a pair of tweeters or high treble front 6.5" speakers, otherwise it won't sound the best. Also, having your 8" subs there, the bass will cause a lot of rattle, so you'd have to deaden the metal and such inside the panels.

Good luck though!

I currently have two 12" infinity subwoofers i am trying to sell, they are in perfect condition but i just want something different from my friends (my friends all have two 12" subs, one of my friends even had the same subs as me almost!) So if you're interested in two 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofers (1220 watts peak) then PM me or respond on here.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:34 AM

I've heard of replacing the sail panel speakers (which are typically subs from the factory) with 8" subs. Fabrication and cutting required of course.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:06 AM

I have 2 ARIA 8" in the sail area. there is cutting involved and don't get too close to the door side. I filled the panel with filler foam (pillow stuffing) to cut down on rattles and make the enclosure seem bigger. I also took the fabric off the inside of the grill so you can see them. if I didn't do that, you couldn't tell anything was done. I know some JL's will fit and MTX.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:53 AM

do you have any pics from this process? any detailed info on how to do it? i took the passenger sail panel speaker out and i'm still trying to visualize a way to put the subs in...it looks like the subs will only have 1/8" depth clearance...how much clearance do yours have? how did you go about cutting the hole bigger? thanks for any extra info...looking to get this done this weekend.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:07 PM

this was a in a camaro of a buddy of mine. http://www.geocities.com/jaxons2000/Midbass1.jpg

all you do is remove the panel, then you can use metal shears to trim the metal. All you have to trim for the speaker to fit, no "fabrication" then put the trim panel back on.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:20 PM

thanks...i actually did mine yesterday before i saw your post...i'm really happy with the setup