Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Push Button Start Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 PM

Push Button Start Wiring

OK, I'm looking to bypass the key completely.

I've looked at the schematics and figure I can use relays between the 12v hot coming to the ignition switch and each item that comes from it. Then I can wire in the Start button with a relay as well. I'd basically have a small relay bank. This way everything goes through a relay and all the stuff that the switch separated stays separated.

My final issue in the design phase is how do I kill the power to the start button so it doesn't engage the starter when the car is already running?

First I thought about a timer. 30 seconds of power to the starter relay from the time I switched the toggle switch would give me plenty of time to start it up. Then I thought about the 5 pin relays with its NO and NC function which I can setup to be NC and then once it's getting power it is in the NO position killing the power to the starter relay. This way pressing the button would not cause the starter to turn.

My question now is what is something that only runs when the car is on, not in the acc or run position but when the car is actually running.

The fuel pump does but I don't want to pull any power from that.

I want all my wiring to be under the dash out of sight and neatly tucked away.

I really only want one 3 way toggle switch and the Start Button. I can press the switch down and everything is off, switch it to the middle and that is ACC, switch it to the top and it's run. Then press the button and start up the car.

I'm not here to discuss that it defeats security and the "well you still have to use the key to unlock the steering wheel". I do not plan on hacking my factory wiring in the car or on the console. I am going to go to the salvage yard and try to get a male and female steering column connector and then wire it so I can just unplug the factory plug and plug in the extension that runs the ignition switch wires to the relays while still sending everything else like it did factory. This way everything is reversable.

I'm the only one that drives the car, pretty much the only one that rides in it, but just as sure as I don't put in some kind of safety my kid will start pressing it.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Re: Push Button Start Wiring

OK, I just had an epiphany.

My car is a 6 speed. To engage the starter I have to press the clutch in. Since I will piggy back off of the factory wiring, I will still have to depress the clutch to engage the starter. So that solves that problem.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 PM

Im trying to figure out the same thing!! Did you come up with anything that would work on an automatic? Id love to see a write up if you have one, a step by step how to!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 AM

I used to test starters and built machines to do it automatically and I used a run sense circuit to determine if the engine had started or not. In your situation though, might just be easier to make it a momentary switch that you hold in as long as you want the engine to crank. If you want it to latch until it starts and sense engine run, then you can use a tach signal into a rpm or window switch or something similar.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:39 AM

With the right switch you want need to use a toggle switch with the push button starter...the key will be the switch for all other electronics and the push button switch will only send power to the starter when you push it

#2. go to a auto salvage yard like LKQ look for cars that came factory with a push button starter
get all parts needed to do the conversion!!!

Last edited by parkers Z28; 12-29-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by prater_1
Im trying to figure out the same thing!! Did you come up with anything that would work on an automatic? Id love to see a write up if you have one, a step by step how to!!!
"calaban" has not been active on this site for about 2-1/2 months - you might want to send him an e-mail. Left click on his screen name, and in the drop down there is an option to send an e-mail.

Originally Posted by parkers Z28
With the right switch you want need to use a toggle switch with the push button starter...the key will be the switch for all other electronics and the push button switch will only send power to the starter when you push it
Do you mean "won't need to use a toggle switch......"?

The OP wanted to eliminate the key completely, hence the thoughts regarding a multi-position toggle switch. He also wanted to provide an interlock to prevent the push-button from engaging the starter when the engine was already running, in the vent the button was accidentally pushed.