Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

High Output Alternator at Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 AM

High Output Alternator at Idle problem

I have a 2001 Camaro with a V6 3.8 engine

Yesterday, I change the stock alternator with a high output alternator that puts out 200a. The problem is that at idle, the alternator is not charging because of low rpms, at idle the car works at 700 rpms and it wont charge. Once I hit the gas and I pass 900-1000 rpms, it charges fine at 14.3 volts.

What can I do to fix this problem? I also have not changed the cable that goes to the battery from the alternator with a thicker one. Can this cause a problem?

I was also thinking about changing the regulator on the high output alternator with the one from the stock one, and then might it charge more at low rpms?? Is this possible?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Re: High Output Alternator at Idle problem

Depending on where you bought your high output alternator there is a big chance that you got a "high output" alternator that only puts out said amperage at pretty high rpms. It sucks BUT not meaning to be rude you get what you pay for....Sometimes you get charged a lot for trash too (sucks). As well at an idle a lot of them wont even put out the amps your stock unit would have.

Mechman alternators is a very good source for true high output alternators. They can get pricey but they will do their job. As well they can be built to your specifications.

As far as the regulator is concerned I wouldn't mess with it but that is just me. And well if you must Id call any alternator shop and see what they say before you do. Good luck though man

Forgot: As with any electrical system proper wire type and size is critical. Its may help overall but it will not solve the problem your referring to. And as a rule of thumb if you upgrade your positive wire to a 0 gauge (or whatever size you use) then so should your ground.

Last edited by Chaos1187; 01-17-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 05-15-2011, 08:38 AM

Re: High Output Alternator at Idle problem

What happens is the builder just puts in a higher amp stator, but does nothing to the rotor. Rewinding the rotor to match the stator is the only true way to get higher amp's at idle. Then you also have to up grade the regulator and the rectifier to with stand the heat and the improved amperage. A smaller pulley would get it charging at a lower engine speed, but I don't like doing that since it will spin the poor little alternator much faster causing possible premature wearing out. Just my .02