Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

93 Z-28 Bose Speaker Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 AM

Question 93 Z-28 Bose Speaker Problem

Hello - I'm the original owner of a very low mileage 93 Z-28/ 6-speed with T-Tops that I factory ordered in April '93. Car is stored an not driven that much; less than 1000 miles in the past decade. When I started her up recently, I am getting a very high pitch "screech" sound from the right front door speaker.

The car was ordered with the Bose CD system, so I'm pretty sure the issue is the amp has gone bad on that one speaker. This happened to the front left speaker back in '95 and that one was replaced under warranty.

Car is all original and I'm looking to keep it that way.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have the original Bose speakers you'd be interested in selling? I believe the right front part number is 16204521 and the left front is 16204531.

2. Can the amp be repaired and if so, I'm looking for a source and some references from same? As I understand it, the capacitors "leak" onto the circuit board causing the conductivity issues that cause this problem.

3. Is there an "aftermarket" alternative available (upgrade or conversion kit) that I could upgrade the speakers behind the grill while leaving the exterior appearance stock??

4. Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the advise and guidance, thanks!

Brian
Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Re: 93 Z-28 Bose Speaker Problem

As far as question #1, I would post in the Marketplace "Parts Wanted" forum.... get's a lot more traffic than this one.

Parts Wanted - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

I'll also point this topic out to GaryDoug. He's our electronics wizard.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: 93 Z-28 Bose Speaker Problem

I can't really answer most of your questions but I would be willing to take a look at the speaker/amp and try to determine what is wrong and if it can be fixed. The difference between me and a repair shop is that I will tell you exactly what I find and how to repair it in the future. I would charge nothing but the return shipping and parts.
Before that however, I would ask you to post some photos of the speaker/amp in as much detail as possible (inside and outside) so I can guess if this is even feasible. I have never seen the amp. If the entire amp is sealed/potted in epoxy, for example, it would not be repairable and it would be a waste of time and money to send it to me.
As for a fix now, I would double check for continuity the ground shield wires from the speaker to the radio. A missing ground could send the amp into oscillation because of excessive input levels.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/chevrolet.htm

Last edited by GaryDoug; 11-23-2015 at 12:21 PM.