Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

93-94 Firebird streering wheel radio contols FIX!!!

Old 12-24-2002, 03:45 AM

Exclamation 93-94 Firebird streering wheel radio contols FIX!!!

I found the fix for the steering wheel radio controls on the 93-94 Firebirds. It's actually pretty easy and it's FREE. The problem is there are rubber plungers under the buttons that activate a small push down switch when you push on the buttons. The plungers in mine when melted for lack of a better word. All I did was take the air bag off the steering wheel (be sure to disconnect the battery first). There are four torque head screws that hold the air bag to the steering wheel. Then disconnect the wire for the horn, the connector for the air bag, and the connector for the steering wheel controls. Once you have that out, there are four more torque screws that hold the metal bracket that mounts the buttons the bracket. Once you have the bracket off the air bag you'll have to take the buttons off the bracket , two screws on each side. Now that the buttons are off the bracket you'll need to take the buttons apart. Two more screws in each button for a total of four. Now that the buttons are apart take a paper clip and clan out the holes where the plungers are. It was pretty messy being that there were all melted. Once you have the holes cleaned out find a staw that comes with a can off WD-40 or spray cleaner. They are usually really thin and red. Cut off a small pice (and I mean SMALL) and put it in one of the holes and put the button part of the buttons back on and try it. If it's the right length you should here the switch under the button click. You can even run it back out the the car and try it to make sure it's working. Once you get the right size, just keep cutting the straw till you get them all filled. Then just put it all back together. Took me all of about ten minutes to fix a problem that I've had for about 4 years now. If you have any question feel free to drop me a line. Also let me know if it works or ya. GOOD LUCK, and your welcome.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Thumbs up

Your post was exactly what I needed!

All of my controls were not working, so I thought
I couldn't do any damage by taking it apart.
I got all the buttons working, but I managed to
break one of the little lights.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant when
you described the melted plungers, but as
soon as I got the switch apart, I saw exactly
what you were talking about... really gross

I just bought my car last week, so I'm slowly getting
everything back in working order.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:29 PM

Glad it worked for ya. Mine didn't work for the last 4 years so I figured it was woth a try as well.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:02 AM

craigffb !!!!!

craig.. i hate to bother you but ive been looking at your site for well over a year on your fog light install and i always had a few questions that i wanted to ask you .... if you have msn / aim / or yahoo or something let me know.... id like to message with you and ask you some of these things ... awesome site... ty for the steering wheel controls write up.... i too have this problem but when i saw it was the same guy that did the fog light write up ... man ole man... just lemme know if you have one of those.. id like to talk you with you.. id appreciate it

thanks
Old 02-16-2003, 04:43 AM

Calli,
I use MSN. Just shoot me an e-mail so I can add you to my list and we can go rom there.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by 94Hawk148

I got all the buttons working, but I managed to
break one of the little lights.
The lights can be replaced with no problem. Just pull the broke one out when you get a chance and take it to a parts store and pick up a new one. I'm not sure what size the bulb is so that's why you'll have to take it in. Nice car list you have by the way. Do you still have them all?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:23 AM

alright... thanks a bunch... email sent
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 AM

Re: 93-94 Firebird streering wheel radio contols FIX!!!

Lets hope this works. I couldn't find this through a search here on CZ28, but I found it through google. And there are tons of these questions that came up on a search with no answer.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gtpguy
**EDIT: Hit post with a turbo button NES controller apparently. Please delete this one. KJA**
You can delete your own posts - hit the EDIT button, and there is a delete option.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM

Oh yeah, those buttons do turn to goo. More like a sticky paste, like when Jb weld won't solidify.

Anyway, the WD40 straw won't fit, its too tight and won't budge to trigger the control. I need something thinner than the straw but thicker than a paper clip and that can be cut with scissors. Any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM

well, maybe one of those plastic wrapped paper clips? matchstick?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Both won't work. I need a paper clip that is twice as thick. A match is too thick and would fail as its made from cardboard. I might swing up to Frys Electronics or Home Depot and see what they have.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM

i meant the wooden matches. or go to a place that sells dowel rods, and see if they have any thin enough
Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 AM

Ahhhh! I gotcha, wooden matches!

I did something a little more involved:

-I cut a paper clip into 1/4 to 1/3 inch peices.

-I took a stir straw, flattened it with my teeth, folded it over to use as a sheath for the piece of paper clip, and cut them a bit shorter than 1/4 inch.

I did one button at a time. Its ghetto, but it works. I mean its no Official GM Part that turns to paste, but it works. Worst case, its works temporarily and I see if some wooden matches work.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM

sorry i didnt clarify. ive only ever used cardboard matches once in my life, so i didnt think id have to. my bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93-94 Firebird streering wheel radio contols FIX!!!