Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 AM

Re: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

96_Camaro_B4C beat me
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Re: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
The Colorado is NOWHERE NEAR the size of a full size pickup of any recent generation. Whether you mean the GMT400s ('88-'98, or '00 for the 2500+ models) or the previous, boxy models ('73-'87), the Colorado isn't close.

Look up the dimensions of the dang thing and compare to the dimensions of the S10. It is marginally larger. And it does not cost the same as or more than a 1500.
It boggles my mind that people still have these assumptions about the Colorado/Canyon. I don't know how people can say the Colorado is a big truck.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
The Colorado is the size of a full size truck 3 generations ago..and costs the same, or more than a 1500 truck. That is why it sucks. If someone made a little pack mule like the anger from the 80s, that got signifigantly better gas milage than a 15000 and kept the price range $14-22K, it would be a winner.
There is so much wrong with this post. Have you ever sat in a S-10, Colorado, Silverado, or F-150 before?

Colorado is tiny next to a fullsize pickup. When it was new in 2004 all the complaints were that it was too small compared to the Dakota, Tocoma, and Frontier. A 2011 Colorado is give or take and inch the same size as a 1994 S-10.

Next you are going to tell us the Escape sucks because it is the same size as an Expedition.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM

There is nothing wrong with the SIZE of the Colorado. I have an '08 reg cab 4x4 on my lot right now. Its a perfect sized truck. It even looks good outside...I concur the interior is just awful.

Consider the Dakota is MUCH bigger than a Colorado, and yet the Dakota is still MUCH smaller than my Rams, and you can see how whining about the size of a Colorado makes no sense

FWIW, while I'm permanently stuck in FS trucks because I actually use my truck as a truck, I think a good quality compact is a worthy thing to have for the D3. None of them have one at this point. I know this is the last year for the Dakota...Chrysler is working on a replacement right now...it will not be BOF, though, from what I hear
Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM

The biggest issue with me is the price; which is why I've said its "too big" in the past. My thought being that if they downsize it and drop some of the unnecessary amenities they could also drop the price. You really don't want your entry level "small" truck coming in only a couple grand shy of its "full-size" counterpart, otherwise, what's the point?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
West South Central Moderator

To me, the Trailblazer would have been the perfect size "compact/mid-size" truck. The SSR doesn't count since it is more of a toy than a truck.

The Colorado was too small. The Silverado is just a little too big. A Trailblazer-truck would have been just right.

I still don't understand why GM didn't just make a truck out of the TB instead of developing the Colorado. THey could have spread development costs out to make stuff like the interiors MUCH better.

Last edited by AdioSS; 03-28-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The biggest issue with me is the price; which is why I've said its "too big" in the past. My thought being that if they downsize it and drop some of the unnecessary amenities they could also drop the price. You really don't want your entry level "small" truck coming in only a couple grand shy of its "full-size" counterpart, otherwise, what's the point?
The point is you want a smaller truck. That's one of the problems in the US. Value is directly correlated with size. That's why you'll never find many small luxury/high performance cars here like you'll find in Europe.

Last edited by ImportedRoomate; 03-28-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
To me, the Trailblazer would have been the perfect size "compact/mid-size" truck. The SSR doesn't count since it is more of a toy than a truck.

The Colorado was too small. The Silverado is just a little too big. A Trailblazer-truck would have been just right.

I still don't understand why GM didn't just make a truck out of the TB instead of developing the Colorado. THey could have spread development costs out to make stuff like the interiors MUCH better.
Probably becasue Isuzu split the cost of development. That and it was a world wide truck made for other markets that still use smaller trucks. I do agree that the Full size trucks have gotten really huge.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
The point is you want a smaller truck. That's one of the problems in the US. Value is directly correlated with size. That's why you'll never find many small luxury/high performance cars here like you'll find in Europe.
You missed my point though. I love small trucks. My 1951 Chevy 3100 was diminutive when compared to today's full-size pickups, yet it was considered "full-size" in its day. I'm not much for extended or crew cabs, although I can see the convenience of them.

What I was pointing out is that what we really need are cheap small trucks. Sure you can offer a high-content version, but give us a small truck with an entry level standard cab, short bed, 4 banger & stick, 2WD with vinyl seats, crank windows and not much fluff... and price it for around $15k.

Is that too much to ask for?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM

What I was pointing out is that what we really need are cheap small trucks. Sure you can offer a high-content version, but give us a small truck with an entry level standard cab, short bed, 4 banger & stick, 2WD with vinyl seats, crank windows and not much fluff... and price it for around $15k.

Is that too much to ask for?
I guarantee you could go buy a Colorado like that for $15k, or dang close to it. They base at $17k MSRP. It might not have vinyl (I think you get cloth) but...

http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/byo/b...&zipCode=46112

$17855 with destination for a Colorado WT reg cab 2wd. 2.9L 4 cylinder, 185 hp, 190 lb ft, 25 mpg hwy. Includes base stereo and A/C, tilt and cruise as well. I bet you could buy that thing for close to $15k, if not below that.

Would that work for you?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 PM

$17855 with destination for a Colorado WT reg cab 2wd. 2.9L 4 cylinder, 185 hp, 190 lb ft, 25 mpg hwy. Includes base stereo and A/C, tilt and cruise as well. I bet you could buy that thing for close to $15k, if not below that.
And it'd be a far nicer truck than the one he's describing.

Vinyl seats? Really?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM

I guarantee you could go buy a Colorado like that for $15k, or dang close to it. They base at $17k MSRP. It might not have vinyl (I think you get cloth) but...

http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/byo/b...&zipCode=46112

Would that work for you?
Still too expensive. I would like to see a $15k MSRP small truck, which with discounts could be purchased for around $13k. $18k MSRP is still too close to the base Silverado 1500 WT in price. (Currently $19,845 with discounts.) Which is why I'd accept vinyl instead of cloth.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Vinyl seats? Really?
For those of us that use a truck as a truck is intended, vinyl is a heck of a lot easier to clean than cloth. (The Silverado 1500 WT comes with vinyl seats.)

Heck, even my 1967 Camaros have vinyl seats.

Last edited by jg95z28; 03-29-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM

Still too expensive. I would like to see a $15k MSRP small truck, which with discounts could be purchased for around $13k. $18k MSRP is still too close to the base Silverado 1500 WT in price. (Currently $19,845 with discounts.) Which is why I'd accept vinyl instead of cloth.
Heck, I'd like to see a $15k Camaro droptop.

Also, not really fair to quote the discounted Silverado price and compare to the MSRP of the Colorado.

If you want one for $13k, buy a year old used one. (I bought my '05 Z71 ext cab, well equipped, for $13.5k in '07. Certified used with 23k miles). Of course, you'd have to find the one other guy in the country who wants one equipped the same way you do, and convince him to sell it...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM

Heck, I'd like to see a $15k Camaro droptop.

Also, not really fair to quote the discounted Silverado price and compare to the MSRP of the Colorado.

If you want one for $13k, buy a year old used one. (I bought my '05 Z71 ext cab, well equipped, for $13.5k in '07. Certified used with 23k miles). Of course, you'd have to find the one other guy in the country who wants one equipped the same way you do, and convince him to sell it...
My point was, why not offer a stripper small truck, for instance why not offer a Colorado WT?

Quick Reply: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say