Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Re: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

Definatly Nice! and WOW to that interior! No comparison compared to the current Colorado!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM

Re: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

The article says it's bigger than the current Colorado. Not sure that was a wise move, at least here in the States. People were already buying the Silverado over the Colorado. With less of a difference in size, what will be the reason to buy the Colorado? I can't believe the price would go down if this debuts in North America. If anything, it will close the difference in price even more.

Looks pretty good otherwise. Wonder what it looks like without the combination cab back-tonneau cover.

I take the interior with a grain of salt. It's very concept car-like. I'm sure it would be toned down for production. That's when I'll judge..

Would like to see the regular cab, short bed ZQ8 version (if there is one).
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Now, can I get a 2-door personal SUV on this platform as well? Please?! I'll even let GM call it the 'Blazer' if they want
Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 PM

The bed on that thing looks like an afterthought.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Unveiled:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/22/v...t-gen-colorad/

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=577&t ransactionid=1300824376-7610844202&posted_by=ImportedRoomate_camaroz28.com[/autostream]
Old 03-23-2011, 11:50 AM

I don't know what to think of this truck after watching the video and looking at more angles. Some angles it looks nice, other times I look at the truck and I think it appears as mutated/bloated Malibu with a truck bed.

I'm a GM Truck guy after owning 3 of them the last 10 years and this really doesn't do anything for me at all.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:50 AM
West South Central Moderator

wow, that presentation was fancy

I'm wondering if the cab extensions are removable or not? They are probably there primarily to manage airflow behind the cab & over the bed to help with highway fuel economy.

I wonder what powertrains will be offered over here?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:22 PM

The extensions make it look like a Ridgeline, at least in my opinion...
Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Remember its a "show truck"... I doubt the extensions will be standard.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned in the articles, nor do I want to go back & read them again, but did they say whether or not the new Colorado was of body-on-frame or unit construction? And did they say whether or not it was RWD or FWD?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Full body on frame RWD, optional part time 4wd pickup. Its still an actual truck.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Remember its a "show truck"... I doubt the extensions will be standard.
They didn't have anything on the bed of the sneak peak from a couple weeks back:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 AM

The Colorado is the size of a full size truck 3 generations ago..and costs the same, or more than a 1500 truck. That is why it sucks. If someone made a little pack mule like the anger from the 80s, that got signifigantly better gas milage than a 15000 and kept the price range $14-22K, it would be a winner.

The truck in the video looks like the result of an affair between an Equinox, and Ridgeline. Does not strike me as something a man would buy.

I was shocked GM is still putting this radio in new vehicles?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
The Colorado is the size of a full size truck 3 generations ago..and costs the same, or more than a 1500 truck. That is why it sucks. If someone made a little pack mule like the anger from the 80s, that got signifigantly better gas milage than a 15000 and kept the price range $14-22K, it would be a winner.

The truck in the video looks like the result of an affair between an Equinox, and Ridgeline. Does not strike me as something a man would buy.

I was shocked GM is still putting this radio in new vehicles?

The Colorado is NOWHERE NEAR the size of a full size pickup of any recent generation. Whether you mean the GMT400s ('88-'98, or '00 for the 2500+ models) or the previous, boxy models ('73-'87), the Colorado isn't close.

Look up the dimensions of the dang thing and compare to the dimensions of the S10. It is marginally larger. And it does not cost the same as or more than a 1500.

I mean, sure, you can get a base regular cab stripper Silverado for less than some models / trim levels of the Colorado. But the base Colorado is cheaper than the base Silverado, and a loaded Colorado isn't even in the same ballpark as a loaded Silverado (fewer options and such). Starting Colorado price is $17045; Silverado starts at $20850. That's nearly $4k cheaper.

As for that radio, while it isn't the most stylish OEM unit of all time (and it's rather dated now), I've never had a beef with it. Well, that was true until mine lost the ability to eject / pull in CDs. It sounds like the mechanism that does that is stripped / slipping, so it is now basically useless as a CD player.

Last edited by 96_Camaro_B4C; 03-28-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 AM

I guess the S-10 sucked too? The Colorado is the same size, and cost (when factoring in inflation) as the S-10.

The Colorado sucks because of reasons like that radio. It came out barely competitive from the start with old GM quality.

Quick Reply: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say