Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM

Re: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
The reason small/midsize trucks don't make a good business case for the US, is the vast majority who want them, want to pay next to nothing for them.

They want a truck, but they don't want to pay a truck price. So, they think they should be able to get fullsize truck capability in the smaller package, with all of the goodies, for half price.

It doesn't cost much less to design/build a small truck, than it does a fullsize one.

Toyota can get away with it, because they sell so many Tacomas. The flipside of this, is they sell very few fullsize trucks. It is the same with Nissan and the Frontier vs the Titan. The D3 sell HUGE volumes of fullsize trucks at huge profits.

As a manufacturer, which would you rather sell more of??

I think they could if they wanted to. Trucks are huge profit maker. For cafe reason think about how a nice 15k 30+mpg truck would help. Now with Cafe there is incentive that might not have been there before. Gas prices if they stay high reasons will increase yet again.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Re: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

Brief update with teaser photo...
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/07/n...d-in-thailand/
Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM

THat looks good.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:17 PM

It's hard to tell, but I think the bed doesn't look right.
It's as if it doesn't follow the rake of the cab's beltline.
I hope they correct that for the American version.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
THat looks good.
I totally agree!!!

I agree the bed does look funky though...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
[...]
Or small like the current Colorado since that is almost the same size as the S-10 it replaced.

Also, I don't know where people get this idea that the Colorado is too big. I've never once heard a Colorado owner say the bed was too wide or the cab had too much room.
If anything, the media dogs it for being too small compared to its competitors (Tacoma, Dakota)

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I don't know that many people expect an S10 or Colorado to give them full size truck capabilities. I surely wouldn't expect a small(er) truck to tow 11,000 pounds or have monsterous payloads. I like my S10 because it's "right-sized" for what I need it for - I can haul some things around without soaking my wallet for the gas.

Colorado really got expensive when you ordered one with the 5.3 V8 - which I think was done simply as a nod to the Dakota. I really don't see the need for the 5.3 in the Colorado but hey, if you want it, it's nice that Chevy offers it.

I never understood why GM stranded V6 fans with only a 4- and 5- cylinder option in the Colorado. The Atlas engines were good for power, but seemingly unrefined. A big let down to those used to the smooth and heavy torque of the 4.3. The Atlas engines fared much better for fuel economy, though.

The 5.3 really gives those trucks a great sound and makes them scoot. GM with its head up its *** only offered it with the 4-speed auto, though.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
The 5.3 really gives those trucks a great sound and makes them scoot. GM with its head up its *** only offered it with the 4-speed auto, though.
It's also only available in the ext and crew cabs and starts out at a whopping 26.3K (but to be fair, the ext cab 2LT I5 starts at 25K.)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
Nothing wrong with an automatic, my Z28 runs mid 11s with a 4L60e. As soon as I get it sent out to RPM for a built one I'll spray it in the 1/4mi and hit mid 10s with that old pos 4speed auto. A little converter swap in the Truck would turn it into a beast; although MPG will suffer.

Last edited by Chrome383Z; 03-08-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
Nothing wrong with an automatic, my Z28 runs mid 11s with a 4L60e. As soon as I get it sent out to RPM for a built one I'll spray it in the 1/4mi and hit mid 10s with that old pos 4speed auto. A little converter swap in the Truck would turn it into a beast; although MPG will suffer.
Oh absolutely, automatics are fine, and the 4L60e was a great transmission in its day, about 6 ice-ages ago. My point was that GM continues to ONLY offer a 4-speed auto in these trucks, long after the competition has gone to more efficient (and robust?) 5- and 6-speed autos.

I had an '09 Z71 Crew 4x4. I hated that transmission. The 3.7 wasn't torquey enough to hold 4th gear between 45-60mph on anything other than level ground. So, it's constantly locking/unlocking the TC and/or shifting out of 3 and 4. And the 4L60e is worthless offroad in the Colly. It gets hot and dog tired (the radiator-integrated trans cooler just isn't enough, and the mech fans can't keep up. GM should have put in electric fans from an efficiency standpoint anyhow).

Here's to hoping GM answers our small-truck prayers. I want a stout 6 with a rock-hard 6-speed manual trans, solid rear axle with electronic locking option (no inertia G80). I'd pray for a solid front axle, but in this day and age of "commuter trucks" it's just not going to happen.

And, GM, if you make a 2-door, short wheelbase, Blazer-ish vehicle on this same platform with an actual, capable, offroad package (think Jeep options), I will literally sell my soul to get one. Nobody makes 'personal SUV's' anymore and that's really annoying.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Photos of "concept" debuting at Bangkok show...
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/21/g...bangkok-debut/
Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM

more pics:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110329992
Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 PM

That Thai-concept model interior is pretty goofy looking, IMO. I would really like to see something different if they bring it over here. I like the exterior styling, for the most part.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
That's a nice looking little truck. Can I have a 4 cyl. diesel.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by soul strife
Can I have a 4 cyl. diesel.
Sure can (as long as you don't live in the United States)
Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM

I LOVE IT!!! THAT will be my next truck. The only thing I HATE (and it looks removable) is the 80's style cab extender on the bed. It looks too avalanche/ridgeliney for me, but take that off and when can I buy one??? Seriously, I can replace my S10 and Z71 with this. Combined they have 260K on them. Time for a new truck

Quick Reply: Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say