Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why is saying a Camaro handles like a "Good Sports Sedan" bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
The biggest "problem" with the 4th gen is that they tamed it / softened it up too much as an attempt to reach a wider audience. They actually took this a step farther later with the LS1 cars (taller springs - increased ride height) There's nothing wrong with the design (except for maybe that stupid caster bushing I keep destroying). It's just that the springs are too soft and the bars are too small.

The SLA design in principle is actually superior to the modified Mac strut arrangement on the 3rd gen. The double A arm gains camber in compression / roll where a strut car pretty much doesn't. Also, the 3rd gen arrangement not a true Mac strut because the spring is mounted inboard. This introduces a good bit of stiction into the strut and is why those cars tend to "crash" over sharp edged bumps.

However, this extra stiffness in conjunction with the bigger bars and heavier springs can make the car a better performer off the showroom floor. It certainly makes the car "feel" racier. The 4th gen feels more civilized in nature though and that is exactly what they were going for.

The rack and pinion in the 4th gens is actually more precise feeling but the ratio is slower than at least that of the 3rd gen I owned. I'll take the precision if I had to choose.

Properly modified and setup, there isn't a lot of diffeerence between the two. We both generally seem to wind up in the same ballpark as far as wheel rate (3rd gens generally run a heavier spring but it "appears" softer to the car since it is mounted so much farther inboard). I've more than doubled the stock front spring rate (292) on my car to 600 lb springs. (FWIW I'm at 150 in the rear, up from ~115) I've also upped the bar to a 35mm. Guess what? The car feels a lot more tossable than it did stock; much more like what most would associate with a 3rd gen.

True, the car is still bigger and heavier (I'm at ~3350 lbs) than a 3rd gen and I do have to cope with that. Still, as I've said, properly modified and set up, either design can get it done.
Thanks. Makes a lot of sense. I am running 35mm/22mm Strano bars on mine, and have rod end LCA's. It is also my understanding that 98-99 SS/WS-6 cars got 1LE springs. My car is noticeably more stiffly sprung than some friends later production 4th gens.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Good point. I wonder if Camaro had other attributes, if it would sell better, worse or the same.
That's something I've been pondering.... the styling is clearly a hit with people in all age groups, though it seems to me the younger may like it more than the older demographic.

If Chevy addressed the poor visibility complaint, then maybe resulting styling would be less appealing and they'd sell fewer.

This is why you can't just listen to those who complain.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
That's something I've been pondering.... the styling is clearly a hit with people in all age groups, though it seems to me the younger may like it more than the older demographic.

If Chevy addressed the poor visibility complaint, then maybe resulting styling would be less appealing and they'd sell fewer.

This is why you can't just listen to those who complain.
I don't think a swoopy roofline and good visibility are mutually exclusive. But a financially broke GM, using an off the shelf architecture, with overwhelming pressure to replicate the showcar's cues, probably conspired to limit visibility.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 PM

I am willing to bet if you asked most people why they buy a Mustang.."class leading handling" is not super high on the list. Ford sold the crap out the Mustang for several years on the outdated Fox platform. Kids grow up dreaming of owning Mustangs long before they understand what skid pad numbers are. Same with Corvette. The Camaro kind of lost it's way because the 4th gen did not have any outright DNA that that most people could tie it back with Camaro's best days. Also hatch backs have lost popularity some. It was a great performing but also emotionless cruise missle. It also proved you can't sell a pony car on performance alone.

I guess my point is that pony cars are more about capturing peoples hearts than being fastest around the ring. That is why the Camaro is such a hit. People who have no clue what it is see the 5th gen and immediatly want to smile. It has been a long time since the Camaro had that kind of styling star power.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
I am willing to bet if you asked most people why they buy a Mustang.."class leading handling" is not super high on the list. Ford sold the crap out the Mustang for several years on the outdated Fox platform. Kids grow up dreaming of owning Mustangs long before they understand what skid pad numbers are. Same with Corvette. The Camaro kind of lost it's way because the 4th gen did not have any outright DNA that that most people could tie it back with Camaro's best days. Also hatch backs have lost popularity some. It was a great performing but also emotionless cruise missle. It also proved you can't sell a pony car on performance alone.

I guess my point is that pony cars are more about capturing peoples hearts than being fastest around the ring. That is why the Camaro is such a hit. People who have no clue what it is see the 5th gen and immediatly want to smile. It has been a long time since the Camaro had that kind of styling star power.
There's fast on the track, and then there's fun to drive. They are two separate, but related, qualities.

I think the issue is that for some folks, a smaller car could be more fun to drive. This thread started off comparing the Camaro and G8 to BMWs. Which BMW? 1, 3, 5, or 7? The current Camaro comes closest to a 6, which is a 2-door 5-series.

I can understand that some people think a Camaro should be more like a 3 or a 1, and that a 5 or 6 would not necessarily satisfy those who'd like an M3 or a 128i. That's not a knock against the 6-series, just a personal preference.

Would a smaller Camaro sell better? I don't know. But it would sell better to Charlie. It'd be great if Chevy/GM could offer two sizes to satisfy both the smaller-is-better and larger-is-better types.

Call one Camaro or Monza and the other Camaro or Monte Carlo (or Chevelle, or CSX 6.2 -- just kidding about the CSX).
Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 PM

I always think of the Camaro as more M3 sized. I know without looking the dimensions put it probaly closer to 5 series. That being said..I think the current Camaro has enough testicular fortitude to satisfy 98 percent of the performance loving public out there.

There's fast on the track, and then there's fun to drive. They are two separate, but related, qualities.

I think the issue is that for some folks, a smaller car could be more fun to drive. This thread started off comparing the Camaro and G8 to BMWs. Which BMW? 1, 3, 5, or 7? The current Camaro comes closest to a 6, which is a 2-door 5-series.

I can understand that some people think a Camaro should be more like a 3 or a 1, and that a 5 or 6 would not necessarily satisfy those who'd like an M3 or a 128i. That's not a knock against the 6-series, just a personal preference.

Would a smaller Camaro sell better? I don't know. But it would sell better to Charlie. It'd be great if Chevy/GM could offer two sizes to satisfy both the smaller-is-better and larger-is-better types.

Call one Camaro or Monza and the other Camaro or Monte Carlo (or Chevelle, or CSX 6.2 -- just kidding about the CSX).
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
I always think of the Camaro as more M3 sized. I know without looking the dimensions put it probaly closer to 5 series. That being said..I think the current Camaro has enough testicular fortitude to satisfy 98 percent of the performance loving public out there.
I don't disagree. From the point of view of performance, we're probably talking about the last 2%.

But size-wise, it's much close to a 6-series.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 PM

I just had a thought... would we care so much about Camaro's size relative to the BMW 3-series if Cadillac had a true 3-series rival?

That's what we really should be comparing - Cadillac to BMW.

If Camaro is actually comparable to a 6-series, then I'd think GM would be happy with that notion.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
I just had a thought... would we care so much about Camaro's size relative to the BMW 3-series if Cadillac had a true 3-series rival?

That's what we really should be comparing - Cadillac to BMW.

If Camaro is actually comparable to a 6-series, then I'd think GM would be happy with that notion.
Well if you want a small tossable Camaro, that's what you want. The 3 to 6 comparison is just a convenient analogy. Almost everyone understands the difference between a 3-series coupe and a 6-series coupe, along with their strengths and weaknesses.

No one would try to convince an M3 owner that he'd be just as happy with a 650i, or that the 650i handled well enough. But Chevy only has the one RWD coupe, and it has to fit all sizes. If they make the Camaro smaller, they may get complaints from those who like larger cars. SUV sales tell me that there are plenty of those in the U.S.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 AM

Would a smaller Camaro sell better? I don't know. But it would sell better to Charlie.
Very true.

Actually, I'd even look into buying the current car if it had a bigger back seat and it was NOT called Camaro.

I suspect though, that if the Camaro were a little smaller, a little lighter and a little bit more fun to drive, it really wouldn't turn off any buyers.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:12 AM

Very true.

Actually, I'd even look into buying the current car if it had a bigger back seat and it was NOT called Camaro.
The name is that big a deal to you?

I suspect though, that if the Camaro were a little smaller, a little lighter and a little bit more fun to drive, it really wouldn't turn off any buyers.
It sure seems like it shouldn't.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 AM

The name is that big a deal to you?
What I'm saying is that I could consider a 3900 pound, stylish coupe, if it had a bigger rear seat (5 passenger). I wouldn't call that a Camaro though.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 AM

I believe that I've mentioned the same thing over the last few years.

If this car had the appropriate styling and was named...ohhh... let's say Chevelle, you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me. Ever. I don't have a problem with the car as much as I have a problem with what it is supposed to be. I'll explain....

IMO, this car is very much in line with what a Chevelle was / is. A relatively big, relatively heavy, powerful, stylish, well appointed, comfy, two door with acceptable handling but not really intended to be a corner burner. Therefore, I strongly feel that the 5th gen would carry the Chevelle flag much more effectively than it carries the Camaro flag. A Chevelle is not a Camaro and a Camaro is not a Chevelle. Two different cars with two different missions. Again, IMO.

When you give a car a hallowed name, there are both baggage and expectations to deal with. Some of us don't believe this car is a "proper" Camaro due to those expectations.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
When you give a car a hallowed name, there are both baggage and expectations to deal with. Some of us don't believe this car is a "proper" Camaro due to those expectations.

Yup, and I think this speaks directly to Branden's opening post. The Camaro drives great - for a sporty family sedan or a large Monte Carlo-esque coupe. As a Camaro, it misses my sweetspot.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM

What I'm saying is that I could consider a 3900 pound, stylish coupe, if it had a bigger rear seat (5 passenger). I wouldn't call that a Camaro though.
Seriously? My car holds 5 people. Here's a photo...

What would you call it?

Quick Reply: Why is saying a Camaro handles like a "Good Sports Sedan" bad?