Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why is saying a Camaro handles like a "Good Sports Sedan" bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Seriously? My car holds 5 people. Here's a photo...

What would you call it?
C'mon, even I know that car is a Chevelle!

Btw, that is one beautiful car.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
I mean..is saying a Camaro or Zeta car handles like a BMW really all that bad? People make out like a pony car should do something better...but I have never seen a mag review a Bimmer and be like "Man..this thing handles almost as good as a Mustang!". I mean in general..outside of the maybe the 1LE cars..most of the Pony cars have not been the best handling cars out there? Until the current generation, Mustang was pretty terrible handling wise, and had been forever. I know someone will go on about how great 3rd gens were...but in reality compared to most modern sports sedans they are maybe just barely equal. Those cars also had to manage a lot less power.

Just a random thought.
Don't believe Mustang been terrible handlers (save the Fox 5.0 cars). The SVO and SVT cars have all been top notch handlers, and the post SN95 cars have all been quite good.

But I do agree with your thought though.

The new Camaro feels more like a great handling "Muscle Car" than a light and lively.... Mustang.

I've finally driven all 3 coupes, and from the drivers seat, the Mustang is by far the most fun and tossable. The Camaro is extremely capable, and is game for just about anything, but between the way you feel when you sit inside one (Camaro feels bigger than it really is though its actually barely any bigger than a Mustang) to the way it responds it gives the illusion of being a bigger car.

Coincidently, imagine a taller Camaro with undersized tires and that's about the feel of the Challenger R/T IMO.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I've finally driven all 3 coupes, and from the drivers seat, the Mustang is by far the most fun and tossable. .

For sure....
Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
For sure....
And that is a shame for a car with the name Camaro. They were always the one known for handling. Not quite the situation anymore.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
And that is a shame for a car with the name Camaro. They were always the one known for handling. Not quite the situation anymore.
Camaro is a good handling car, it's just not a sports car, that's all.

Since when has Camaro ever been a sports car? Never, in my humble judgement.

The day when Camaro turns hardcore sports will be the day that a lot of buyers will be turned away.

It's great for the enthusiasts... but enthusiasts only account for 1% of the whole customer spectrum.

I often read posts about the BMW M3's shortcomings. Sure it's a great car but it's sometimes a real pain to live with (absurdly tiring to drive) on a day-to-day basis. In this context, the 5G is welcome relief because it provides relaxed cruising manners in total comfort for the driver. Not wanting to be argumentative, but M3 is just too hardcore for some... is all I'm saying.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Camaros became serious about handling not until the 3rd gen. Up till then, Camaros were outhandled by everything from Pontiac Trans Ams to Mustang TRXs to even F41 Chevrolet Monza Spyders.

Even when GM did make handling the priority in the 3rd gens, it was somewhat botched. The cars were phenominal driving between cones on smooth proving grounds, but were rough riding, skittish cars on real roads. By the mid 80s, GM diled it back a little, but it wasn't till the 4th gen that GM got the handling and balence right (and according to some people, took the "snap" out of the handling).

On one hand, I feel my B4C handles better than the 5th gen. B4Cs have 1LE arms and bushings, and I'm running a set of NT05s (exceptional tires by the way, highly reccomend them). That said, the 5th gen has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. No, you can't throw it around like a 4th gen or new Mustang. But the SS I had took everything I threw at it. I found the understeer all the car mags talked about, but unless you're doing something totally crazy, you're not likely to see it. Besides, a set of wider tires up front should cure most of it.