Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why I feel the 5th gen should step up to the Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by IZ28
I agree that the Corvette needs to move way up in performance and give the Camaro room, especially to best the M*stang itself. If the GTO has the same power as the Camaro it'll still be heavier and slower so I don't see it going after the top M*stang.
Well if our cobra killer must be a GTO, so be it. I just dont like the fact that we need our top car to compete with fords pony car

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 05-12-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:35 PM

I think all of this talk of a Cobra killer is kinda crazy. I find it really hard to imagine any car other than Z06 getting the necessary 500 hp to wax the Cobras ***. Any thoughts of a 500 hp 5th gen is simply a pipe dream. The 5th gen and next gen GTO will be inline to compete with the Mustang GT's and Mach's. Some people on here just need to accept the reality that Z06 is the only GM car that is going to be able to "put the Cobra in it's place." You guys have to remember that the Cobra is FoMoCo's Corvette.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:24 PM

Talking

A Cobra-killer GTO?
ROTFLMAO!
Yeah...sure. Keep dreaming people.
S.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:08 AM

quote:
-----------------------------------------------
A Cobra-killer GTO?
ROTFLMAO!
-----------------------------------------------

Amen Brotha!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Snorman
A Cobra-killer GTO?
ROTFLMAO!
S.
why not? There is absolutly no reason not to think it would? The Cobra is in the same price braket as the GTO is now, why couldnt the GTO, the flagship of Pontiac in the future, go head to head with the Cobra? I dont see whats so funny? Maybe not the present GTO, but in the near future, yes. I dont get why this is so funny?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:39 AM

Just taking a guess here, but it might be that doing this is and always has been the CAMARO's job?!

Could also be that the Camaro is the M*stang's direct class competitor and that the GTO isn't?!

Last edited by IZ28; 05-13-2004 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:20 AM

i also believe the GTO should go after the Cobra, all it needs is to match it in power to weight ratio, and a more agressive appearance (quad tailpipes, scoops, a supercharger if need be.), and im not just saying match it "advertised HP" but match it in potential HP, and ease of getting there.

call it the judge, why not, and price it just below 40k.

Last edited by Ude-lose; 05-13-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:06 AM

Arrow

posted by Big Als Z
why not? There is absolutly no reason not to think it would? The Cobra is in the same price braket as the GTO is now, why couldnt the GTO, the flagship of Pontiac in the future, go head to head with the Cobra? I dont see whats so funny? Maybe not the present GTO, but in the near future, yes. I dont get why this is so funny?
It's funny because you are apparently under the misguided impression that Ford is going to sit around and wait for GM to build a GTO that'll take out Cobra. In case you're not aware, Ford is releasing a completely redesigned Mustang in a few months that's packing another 50+ hp, improved chassis and structure and interior. GTO is already several steps behind Cobra. Cobra outbrakes, outhandles and (significantly) out accelerates GTO (but GTO does have nice interior). Next year, GTO might be able hang with the current Cobra if it gets the LS2. I'd be more inclined to believe it'll have its hands full with the 315+hp, 300-350lb. lighter GT (not to mention any other special edition Mach-I type offerings Ford brings to the table).
So yeah...it's funny. To think that Ford is going to sit around and wait for GM to build a Cobra-killer GTO is silly. With the F-bodies dead Ford built a 425hp '03/'04 Cobra, completely redesigned the '05, is planning a very serious '06 L and an equally impressive '07 Cobra. Obviously it's not funny to you because you're a Mustang/Ford-hating GM loyalist.
S.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:22 AM

It's funny because you are apparently under the misguided impression that Ford is going to sit around and wait for GM to build a GTO that'll take out Cobra. In case you're not aware, Ford is releasing a completely redesigned Mustang in a few months that's packing another 50+ hp, improved chassis and structure and interior. GTO is already several steps behind Cobra. Cobra outbrakes, outhandles and (significantly) out accelerates GTO (but GTO does have nice interior). Next year, GTO might be able hang with the current Cobra if it gets the LS2. I'd be more inclined to believe it'll have its hands full with the 315+hp, 300-350lb. lighter GT (not to mention any other special edition Mach-I type offerings Ford brings to the table).
So yeah...it's funny. To think that Ford is going to sit around and wait for GM to build a Cobra-killer GTO is silly. With the F-bodies dead Ford built a 425hp '03/'04 Cobra, completely redesigned the '05, is planning a very serious '06 L and an equally impressive '07 Cobra. Obviously it's not funny to you because you're a Mustang/Ford-hating GM loyalist.
S. [/B]
...as much as you are a Ford loving fan boy

What makes you think GM will sit around and let things roll by as well? Do you not think that special editions of GTO and other performance vehicles are in the works at GM?

we can get blown too
Old 05-13-2004, 11:28 AM

Arrow

uluz28
...as much as you are a Ford loving fan boy
Considering I have a turbo Buick and also a new Z71 Suburban sitting in my garage, this comment has little merit.
What makes you think GM will sit around and let things roll by as well? Do you not think that special editions of GTO and other performance vehicles are in the works at GM?
You mean like the tepid performing SSR and Silverado SS? Or GTO? Wake me when they arrive. I think the C6 is a great machine. Unlike many, I absolutely love the redesign, and a 6.0 400hp LS2 is icing on the cake. At $53k, the CTS-v is also attractive in that demographic. But what else has GM offered? I heard two years ago about the Cobra-killing GTO, the 12-second SSR, the Lightning-stomping Silverado SS were coming...where are they?
S.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:30 PM

Next year, GTO might be able hang with the current Cobra if it gets the LS2. I'd be more inclined to believe it'll have its hands full with the 315+hp, 300-350lb. lighter GT
Did I miss something? The new Mustang won't be 350 pounds lighter than the current one...similar weight yes...but 300-350 pounds would put the 2005 Mustang GT at or near C6 weight....
Old 05-13-2004, 12:36 PM

Arrow

Sorry...meant 300-350lbs. lighter than the near-3800lb. GTO.
S.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:57 PM

well, i see what you mean, sorta. i know most of you won't like this, but do you think that these cars are getting unreasonable fast?
with the chasing in performance going back and forth, everyone wants a 12 second car that costs 25k
my thinking is that the next generation of camaro/vette won't have that much of a hp difference. i'm guess that the engineers will realize what is happening and invest more in suspension. They will design a car that feels fast. after all, the average consumer doesn't do research to know what it runs in the 1/4. they test drive it and will take it if it feels fast (if thats what their looking for). the better suspension will make it a bit faster, as far as launching might go. but they will also be building and setting new standards in the cars handling ability and skidpad. skidpad is probably the most underrated benchmark out there. will the next camaro be fast? yes, but you get what you pay for. will it handle better? i'm betting alot better.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:11 PM

Who said anyone was waiting to do anything? The Cobra doesnt arrive for another year, putting the GTO as the PRIME performance car when it gets the LS2 this year. The Mustang will be lagging, despite a weight advantage.
Your not getting my point. Who said Pontiac is gunna wait for the Mustang? What if HSV gets involved in the development of the future GTO? Yeah, the Mustang Cobra will be out first, but what would stop Pontiac from making a GTO to top the Cobra? Then the battle starts again, the Mustang tried to top the GTO.. etc etc untill someone has a hissy about HP and we go back to civic land again. No one knows what the future will hold for both the GTO or Cobra. I say that since the Cobra will be up in GTO price range, why not go after it? I still dont get whats so funny about it all? I forsee a great battle between the HSV backed GTO and the Cobra.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:44 PM

A Cobra-killer GTO?
ROTFLMAO!
S.
:blah:

I honestly dont think GM is gonna sit back and take 3rd place forever.

Quick Reply: Why I feel the 5th gen should step up to the Cobra