Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Why the Chevrolet SS Will be the hit of NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:58 AM
Prominent Member

Or it might just be.......

Originally posted by jg95z28
For the one hundreth time... the SS Concept is going to be developed into the Chevelle SS and NOT, I repeat NOT, going to morf into some 5th gen Camaro.

If anyone cannot see the retro early 70's Chevelle influences in both the nose and tail of the concept sketches... please, check your Chevrolet enthusiast membership cards at the door!

.....a great styling exercise and not be anything more than that..........more of a direction for future products and a celebration / flagship for the vaunted SS moniker.

I STILL hate the fact that ANYTHING with an SS moniker has four doors...(well, at least in the sketches it does).....
Old 12-26-2002, 12:06 PM

I STILL hate the fact that ANYTHING with an SS moniker has four doors...(well, at least in the sketches it does).....
Considering that Chevy has already released SS concepts based on 4-door SUV's I'm afraid to think of what the final Chevelle SS will look like.

Don't get me wrong, 4-doors can be cool. But why does a performance minded 4-door have to be called "SS"?

I'm guessing its a $$$$ issue.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:35 PM

I was abit more excited about the "SS" concept when I thought that the C5 front and C4 rear suspension were a hint at a future RWD Chevy platform.

Now, I understand that those components have nothing to do with production intent.

Maybe Mervz can shed some light.

BTW...I am one of those here that has NO problem with a 4-door SS.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Prominent Member

Cool Oh no biggie.....

Originally posted by jg95z28
Considering that Chevy has already released SS concepts based on 4-door SUV's I'm afraid to think of what the final Chevelle SS will look like.

Don't get me wrong, 4-doors can be cool. But why does a performance minded 4-door have to be called "SS"?

I'm guessing its a $$$$ issue.
,,,I'm just old school when it comes to the number of doors...in my teens, you wouldn't be caught dead in a four door!! Looked too much like a granny's car.....
Old 12-26-2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Pentatonic
4 DOORS !!!

An SS does not have 4 doors. Now where is that peformance SUV GM was considering?
Guess you forgot (or are ignoring) the former Impala SS of 94 to 97?
Old 12-26-2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by guionM
Guess you forgot (or are ignoring) the former Impala SS of 94 to 97?
I'm ignoring actually, I never really considered those cars SS's. They weren't bad. I never really cared for them too much, but to each his own.

Judging by the posts in this thread, I'm not the only one who dislikes the fact that the SS concept is a 4-door.

Maybe if the styling was good, and it was a 2-door, with a good drivetrain, then the SS would be a sweet car. I'll have to wait until I see the actual car, and not just sketches.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:19 PM

I'm not going to sit and argue with people (because as we know, there are alot of people who swear they know whats going on), but i know for a fact that there was CAMARO designed into this concept.

Also, a concept is just that. most do not have running engines, nor interiors, or even real wheels. When GM makes one that is fully running, its done for a reason.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Prominent Member

Cool Oh, I don't doubt this at all!

Originally posted by Mervz
I'm not going to sit and argue with people (because as we know, there are alot of people who swear they know whats going on), but i know for a fact that there was CAMARO designed into this concept.
Knowing that Brian Nesbitt was involved and all else that has transpired, I agree, the Camaro had a strong voice in this concept....but it wasn't meant to be a "Camaro" as such...
Old 12-26-2002, 02:02 PM

not trying to flame anyone..but you know how many 2 door cars that are out there being sold new????

and to put it into perspective..alot of the "slow" 4 door cars out now can wipe the floor of our older brotheren...in speed and more so now SALES! look at the GTP..I think its the fastest Grand Prix Poncho ever put out??? if im not mistaken...
but 4 door cars SELL NOW...look at all the performance 4 sedans..that BMW, Jag, Subie, Mercedes, Mercury,sell...thats the market GM is trying to capture with the new 4 door market I would think thats comming out...dont think that the new GTO if sells well will spawn a 4 door sister GM car a few years later..
4 door performance is the "muscle car" of the future weather we like it or not..and the 2 door is only a concept that might be put into reality...but 4 door sells cars.....and fast is fast no matter how many doors you have...
and besides it just means you have 2 more doors to blow off when you beat them with your 4 door..

Last edited by Caps94ZODG; 12-26-2002 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:13 PM

I am surprised at the anti- Impala SS sentiment-
that car was a hit- it sold very well and wasa huge performance improvemet on a boring car.

It looked great and can kick a Maurders ***!
As long as it's fast and looks good (RWD) I'm all for a 4 door SS
Old 12-26-2002, 09:23 PM

Well I agree with Darth Xed...

I think it would make an interesting Chevelle or Impala even... but not a Camaro.

And, for the record, I do not like the front clip at all... the rest is OK....
Seems a lot more like a Chevelle than a Camaro. It just seems awful big and four-doorish to be a Camaro. Maybe I'll change my mind in a couple weeks when I go see it at NAIAS. I will also reserve judgement about the unfortunate similarity with the SSR. I just don't like fat-fender hot rods or modern cars with fat-fender styling cues. Because of that, I'm not a big SSR fan... and I don't like the fat-fender cues in the front clip of this car either. I like the rear end of the SS; but that old-looking narrow hood and bulging, old-looking fenders are just... not my cup o' tea. Again, maybe it will look better in person... we shall see. So far I like Ted's concept depiction on his home page at http://www.5thgencamaro.com/ best. Camaros have always broke new styling ground with each new generation. I still recall when the first third gen's came out, how thoroughly modern and cool they looked. I believe the next Camaro should be forward looking and break yet another mold.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:28 PM

Thumbs up

I LOVE my 96 Impala SS!! From what I understand, the new SS concept is too large to be a Camaro... A Chevelle, maybe. The aluminum panel around the circular taillights reminds me alot of the 1962-63 Impalas, they also used an insert like that.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:40 PM

Guys maybe the SS concept isn't that big, le't wait to see it at NAIAS
Old 12-26-2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by luis nunez
Guys maybe the SS concept isn't that big, le't wait to see it at NAIAS
It's 198 inches long. That makes it BIG.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:20 PM

You might be able to see some Chevelle, but you can see almost every Gen Camaro in that car too. I just hope a 5th Gen doesn't look like that.

Quick Reply: Why the Chevrolet SS Will be the hit of NAIAS