Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Will you buy a new 2005 Mustang?
Yes
49.33%
No Way
29.33%
Maybe if I like how it drives
21.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Whom here would consider a new 2005 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Why................did you post multiple times?
Come on SNEAKY you know you can only vote once.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:39 AM

I would have prefer a Camaro but, coments like Lutz 30 years .. and they way that they keep quiet about a new Camaro makes me mad. it's like they really don't care
So yes I would consider a Mustang or a 350Z
I dont like the GTO.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:59 AM

Well if GM is monitoring this board...this is your answer to alot of the questions..
anyone from GM looking? these are your die hard fans...looking at an appealing fun to drive car and saying WOW EXACTLY what I am looking for..and NOW saying "A FORD"??? "SO WHAT" Its what I have been waiting for and not going to wait any longer.

GM you better do what you did back in 67 and stop this defection..no SSR, GTO or RWD Impy and Monte CTS-V will do any justice.
Its got to be CAMARO...

you wait more than 1 year to make this a reality then you lost alot of customers..
In comparison the MACH 1 Stang has had 7K preorders?? hmmm
now take that and look into a new 05 MACH 1 and you see? and thats just a MACH 1..now go with Cobra, GT and the volume car the V6..

man
Someone better get on the horn to Lutz...
Mr. Scott is calling from the engine room.:
"Captain, she'll hold together for a wee bit more but something has to be done fast she cant take any more of this.were at maximum power. and shes comming apart!"

IE: meaning the faithful...
My first car was a 73 Mustang...and YES I would buy one, first drive I might be hooked again on the Pony
Old 02-22-2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by guess who
Come on SNEAKY you know you can only vote once.
I know, I was just kidding.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:18 PM

Except for my `70 Nova for the last 15 years all I have owned is F-bodies `78 Z28 `79 T/A `94 Formula, and `98 Formula. when I saw the new Mustang I was Blown away.
Mr Ford I'll take my Boss in Grabber Blue !!
I'm sorry to say GM has fallen asleep at the wheel.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:51 AM

And who's to say that a 5th gen F-body would be something that would interest me? GM would have to really hit a grand slam to beat the new (concept) Mustang.

I have absolutely zero brand loyalty and don't understand people who do. My philosophy is to buy the car I like, regardless of brand (although I do discriminate against imports for economic reasons).

If I was in the market in a couple of years the Mustang would absolutely be at the top of my list.

Screw GM.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:12 AM

Whom here would consider a new 2005 Mustang?
Even if I could afford it, I would never consider it. It would be like driving a totally alien car. I'd rather have a used (by then) 04 GTO for the same or less.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by kizz
Even if I could afford it, I would never consider it. It would be like driving a totally alien car. I'd rather have a used (by then) 04 GTO for the same or less.
Actually, the GTO will be out only 6 months before the 2005 Mustang, and will still be dealing with way more buyers than cars, so I wouldn't bet on GTO comming down to Mustang GT levels for awhile.

To some of the other guys here, a little perspective is in need here.

In 2002, Chevrolet produced 42,098 Camaros, of which only 24,805 were Z28s, SSs, or Police Camaros (and close to the same figures the year before).

In less than 2 weeks GMs Oshawa assembly plant alone produces more W cars than all the Zs/SSs/B4Cs produced last year, and in about 4 weeks (remember, this is one plant making one chassis/body) it produces more cars than all f-bodies made last year...combined!

That means that even considering those of you so angry at GM over Camaro that you never buy another GM product, your numbers will more than likely be made up when not only Camaro comes back, but by the multitudes of people who will be buying RWD Impalas, GTOs, CTSvs, and the improved FWD cars and crossovers that GM will be bringing out in the next few years.

The actual painful truth is GM is a business. If a small segment of customers of a car that sold less than 25,000 (actually less than the high profit, low production Corvette) for at least each of the past 2 or 3 years turn grumpy and threaten to jump ship, do you honestly think anyone is loosing sleep over it?

When Camaro comes back, it will be for marketing reasons, not because of anger here.

It sucks, but such is the corperate world.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by whuzizname
And who's to say that a 5th gen F-body would be something that would interest me?
And who's to say it won't ?

GM would have to really hit a grand slam to beat the new (concept) Mustang.
So be it. Glad you like the new Mustang Concept.

I have absolutely zero brand loyalty and don't understand people who do. My philosophy is to buy the car I like, regardless of brand (although I do discriminate against imports for economic reasons).
I can understand this if that is how you feel... but, then...

Screw GM.
Why the "Screw GM" comment...?

Old 02-23-2003, 09:36 AM

Yea but time and time again I heard GM say that the Camaro and Firebird are the enthusiasts (sp) car...well we who would jump ship are those people and this is the product that would keep us in the GM family..
If a Stang is here for 2-3 years before...who would have the $$ to buy a new Camaro?? we would be in payments already..alot of us here keep our cars..even if they are older why..we like them..so no way a 07-08 Camaro would find a home for GM fans that jumped ship and bought the 05 stang..
Old 02-23-2003, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Caps94ZODG
Yea but time and time again I heard GM say that the Camaro and Firebird are the enthusiasts (sp) car...well we who would jump ship are those people and this is the product that would keep us in the GM family..
If a Stang is here for 2-3 years before...who would have the $$ to buy a new Camaro?? we would be in payments already..alot of us here keep our cars..even if they are older why..we like them..so no way a 07-08 Camaro would find a home for GM fans that jumped ship and bought the 05 stang..
That is one point Ive thought about but never posted.What you put makes a whole lot of sense.But then again,Look at how many used 03 cars/trucks that are out there already.Yeah if someone wants/needs to get out of one vehicle for some reason beings a new child or moving to a colder/warmer climate they would change no matter what if need be.But when you go from a new pony car Mustang then want to jump ship (which is fine to each his own)to the new 5th then it is stupid only for the reason of adding negitive equity in your new vehicle but if your Darth then it wouldnt matter
Old 02-23-2003, 09:49 AM

Angry

Originally posted by guionM
The actual painful truth is GM is a business. If a small segment of customers of a car that sold less than 25,000 (actually less than the high profit, low production Corvette) for at least each of the past 2 or 3 years turn grumpy and threaten to jump ship, do you honestly think anyone is loosing sleep over it?
Considering that they were so loyal to GM that they bought a poorly manufactured car of a 10 year old design with zero marketing, you'd think someone would take notice..

Besides, you can't blame the customers for not buying an outdated product you failed to invest in (unless you're GM).
Old 02-23-2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by WERM
Considering that they were so loyal to GM that they bought a poorly manufactured car of a 10 year old design with zero marketing, you'd think someone would take notice..

Besides, you can't blame the customers for not buying an outdated product you failed to invest in (unless you're GM).
Old 02-23-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by guess who
.But when you go from a new pony car Mustang then want to jump ship (which is fine to each his own)to the new 5th then it is stupid only for the reason of adding negitive equity in your new vehicle but if your Darth then it wouldnt matter
I have no idea what you are even referring too..

FWIW, I've never been 'upside down' in any car loan I have ever had...

Old 02-23-2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by WERM

Not blaming the customer base at all. At the same time, the mistake was made before the F4 even hit the streets.

In the 1980s Chevy ran the F3 design for almost 10 years, and Ford ran the Mustang for 14!

Both were able to do this because both were originally all new cars that had constant improvements to them, and at least, sporadic marketing. But the key is they were somewhat fresh designs. In the 90s, sports cars got smaller at the same time Camaro got bigger. Soon only us hard core people were buying them. The top model sports car has never carried a line since the mid 70s Trans Ams.

IMO, IF GM did a better job making a contemporary design, and IF GM did more frequent styling changes the REAL reason Camaro was extensively done in cheaper plastic (yes, that's the true reason), IF GM had done more marketing or at least money saving product placement on other car advertizements, and IF GM hadn't turned down Holden's V chassis back in the mid 90s, and used it as the basis for the 2000 F5 as was once proposed, we'd be talking about the gen 5's restyling now.

I was in no way insinuating it was the customers that killed the 4th gen. I want to bring into perspective that even though there is simply no reason to bring it back from a business standpoint (keeping in mind that GM's actions killed it in the 1st place), even though it's not as quick as we'd want, the fact that it is comming back shows there are people inside who are very devoted to Camaro.

However, the only way they can sell it to the board is from a marketing standpoint. If it was presented as a "enthusiast demand it" angle, the whole Camaro effort would go absolutely nowhere.

The press & excitement Ford got from the Mustang concept had most certainly moved things at GM for Chevrolet.

The 2005 Mustang was the best thing to happen for the F5, moreso than any demands did.

Last edited by guionM; 02-23-2003 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Whom here would consider a new 2005 Mustang?