Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What's likely to be at the 2004 NAIAS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by guionM
I did forget that Cadillac's likely to have a concept (they have at least one every year now).

Also, traditionally there would be ZERO chance of a thinly disquised Camaro concept. Theme's from upcomming sports cars at GM normally are hidden in other cars (the Belair & SS are excellent examples). With the Mustang's hot reception last year, it's display this comming year, and Bob Lutz not only enthusiasm about the new Mustang, but his history of showing his hand earlier than most, anything is possible. Not likely, but possible.

I do still strongly suspect word on Camaro as early as the begining of October, or as late as New York's Auto Show next year. Not an "approval", mind you, but probally an admission of development.

Based on the "not approved" Solstice's development so far & the Holden based cars scheduled to replace some of GM's soon to be discontinued large cars, "approval" seems to mean just before the factories actually crank up to make them.
plus it all depends on what they call that car......I think thats a large part of the silence.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:22 AM

gm's not going to show a camaro concept. Not while the c6 is being revealed.

I expect a few new design concepts such as the ss and sixteen were for 2003's show. BUT NO CAMARO.

Maybe for 2004's show.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Jackass
gm's not going to show a camaro concept. Not while the c6 is being revealed.

Why not?

They'd hit a GRAND SLAM in the enthusiast market by showing both, PLUS a Camaro Concept could pull the rug out from underneath the Production Mustang.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Why not?

They'd hit a GRAND SLAM in the enthusiast market by showing both, PLUS a Camaro Concept could pull the rug out from underneath the Production Mustang.

The vette is GM's baby. Why would they potentially upstage the unveiling of the C6? The mustang is going into production and is going to be on the road long before the camaro. Not unless they have been secretly working on one long before the last one rolled off the production line. While this is conceivable, I don't see this happening because of the C6.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:15 PM

Why not?

Darth, buddy, you and I know that it makes sense.

That considered, what do you think GM's gonna do?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
Darth, buddy, you and I know that it makes sense.

That considered, what do you think GM's gonna do?
Ya, I agree.

I think it would be a good idea, but I do not expect it to happen...

I do see Jackass's angle though, but I think it'd be an excellent move if they actually did it.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by guionM

I do still strongly suspect word on Camaro as early as the begining of October, or as late as New York's Auto Show next year. Not an "approval", mind you, but probally an admission of development.
Damn, everyone keeps pushin the date back. I like the 2 weeks prediction better.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:43 AM

Besides the STS, i think we will see another cadillac concept, as well as a buick concept.

Does anybody know anything about what the xv12 is going into, besides the possibility of it going into a escalade?
Old 08-29-2003, 07:49 AM

Does anybody know anything about what the xv12 is going into, besides the possibility of it going into a escalade?

My guess would be potentially in an XLR-V or an STS-V...
Old 08-29-2003, 08:19 AM

My guess would be potentially in an XLR-V or an STS-V...

That's what i was thinking.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:34 PM

The vette is GM's baby. Why would they potentially upstage the unveiling of the C6? The mustang is going into production and is going to be on the road long before the camaro. Not unless they have been secretly working on one long before the last one rolled off the production line. While this is conceivable, I don't see this happening because of the C6.
C6 upstaged? Don't forget, there are 2 additional big auto shows after LA and Detroit. Chicago and New York are also known for big debuts, not everything happens in Detroit.

Though it's still possible, I don't expect a Camaro-like concept this year. I feel it's too early if it's going to be an '07 (Colbalt and HHR will be '05s, and they won't be on display till this winter), and GM has never displayed their performance cars early.

This year could be different, but I wouldn't expect anything more than a mention of a likely Camaro, with a display at the 2005 show.