Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GTO info and more!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 11:53 PM

GTO info and more!!!

It is available at right here and i will copy'n'paste it just incase it gets killed. More info on alot of other cars is available here..

For Release: Jan. 3, 2003

PONTIAC UNVEILS 2004 GTO SHOW CARS

LOS ANGELES - Giving the public its first look at the rebirth of a legend, Pontiac, General Motors' "excitement division," introduced show car versions of the 2004 GTO to audiences at the Los Angeles Auto Show and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The production version of the GTO will be available in Pontiac showrooms in late 2003.

"The public's interest in the GTO has been everything we hoped it would be, and more," said Bob Lutz, GM vice chairman of product development. "This car is a strong statement from both Pontiac and GM that we are determined to re-energize the car market with vehicles that command the customer's attention and excite their senses."

Pontiac plays an especially large role in this strategy in the 2004 model year with three new product launches. The new Grand Prix debuts in the spring and the V-8-powered Bonneville GXP will bow in early 2004.

"The GTO is really the 'exclamation point' on the new Pontiac line for the 21st century," said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. "Together with the Grand Prix and the Bonneville GXP, the GTO will help define the evolution of Pontiac with fresh, contemporary styling, high performance excitement and exceptional driving characteristics."

Show car styling, production performance
The introduction of the show cars comes only seven months after GM announced it was bringing back the GTO. "The speed to market with the new GTO demonstrates GM's global product development capabilities and our renewed focus on dealer and customer enthusiasm," Lutz said. "This latest GTO will carry on the proud tradition of a legendary line."

Sporting a special high-gloss paint in red or yellow, the GTO show cars exhibit the strong Pontiac brand character with a signature dual-port grille and a wide aggressive stance. The vehicles ride on 18-inch alloy wheels. They also sport a high-performance powertrain that makes the vehicle worthy of the "GTO" name.

Under the hood is a specially tuned LS1 5.7-liter V-8 aluminum-block engine currently estimated at 340 horsepower @ 5200 rpm, 360 lbs.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm with an appropriately tuned Pontiac exhaust note. While sharing the same basic engine configuration with the base-level Chevrolet Corvette, the LS1 engine in the GTO has been modified with a high-lift camshaft and increased airflow induction to create greater horsepower and low-end torque than the Holden Monaro to address the needs of U.S. drivers.

All that power is mated to either an electronically controlled Hydra-Matic 4L60-E four-speed automatic transmission or the six-speed, close ratio manual transmission available on the Corvette ZO6. Both transmissions feature the same low-geared 3.46 final drive axle ratio in a rear-wheel-drive configuration to maximize off-the-line performance, a limited slip differential, and a three-channel traction control system designed to help enhance vehicle control.

Although performance testing on the vehicle has not been completed, the production model GTO is expected have a zero-to-60 acceleration time of less than 6 seconds and run the quarter-mile in approximately 14 seconds at a speed of 105 mph. The top speed of the vehicle is estimated to be about 160 mph.

Stopping power is supplied by power-assisted four-wheel ventilated disc brakes with a standard four-channel anti-lock braking system. Additional standard safety features include: dual front air bags, side air bags, three-point seat belt systems at all seating positions and an Emergency Mode, which automatically shuts down the engine, turns off the fuel pump, unlocks the doors and turns on the dome light any time the air-bag system is deployed.

Performance-oriented interior
Befitting its position as a premium high-performance coupe, the GTO seats four adults in 2+2 bucket seats. Customers can choose between standard leather seats in black or color-coordinated to several exterior colors. In addition, the color-coordinated interior extends to the door panels and the instrument cluster.

A six-disc CD-changer with a premium 10-speaker sound system is standard, as is cruise control, a multi-function driver information center, keyless entry system and a host of other features that enhance the driving experience.

Strong heritage
The original GTO inspired the term "muscle car" when it debuted as a high-performance option on the 1964 Pontiac Tempest. Though originally only scheduled for 5,000 units, more than 30,000 Tempest GTOs were ordered in 1964 alone. Before the GTO ended its production in 1974, more than 500,000 were sold.

"We considered bringing the GTO back a number of times, but we never had the right product," said Myers. "We knew it had to be a V-8, rear-wheel drive and offer outstanding performance, but, until GM's leadership team looked at the Holden Monaro, nothing really fit."

Produced by GM's Australian subsidiary, the Holden Monaro shares many traits with the original GTO as the first all-Australian performance coupe of its type when it was introduced in 1968. The modern Monaro debuted in 2001 and quickly became one of the most sought-after vehicles in Australia.

Production of the 2004 Pontiac GTO is scheduled to begin in September 2003 at Holden's Elizabeth plant. Up to 18,000 GTOs will be produced annually.

Show car specifications

5.7 liter LS1 V-8 engine

Approximately 340 horsepower @ 5200 rpm

Approximately 360 lbs.-ft. torque @ 4000 rpm

Rear-wheel drive

Six-speed manual or four-speed Hydra-Matic automatic transmission

Standard limited slip differential with traction control

Four-wheel ventilated disc brakes with standard ABS

2 + 2 bucket seating with standard black leather seats with optional color-coordination to select exterior colors

Six-disc CD player with 10-speaker sound system

18-inch alloy wheels
Old 12-14-2002, 12:02 AM

Wow, this is like news from the future . I'm kind of dissapointed w/ the 14 second 1/4 mile their hoping for, but that'll change in 2005
Old 12-14-2002, 12:04 AM

whats the f-body rated by gm as doing the 1/4 in ? a stock monaro does a flat 14 , how can this be right ?
Old 12-14-2002, 12:38 AM

It must be a heavy pig if it's only doing 14 flat.
Oh well at least I'll be able to keep up!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:19 AM

I suspect those numbers are conservative.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:52 AM

Bringing this back to the top since this thread has the actual article and the link doesn't work anymore.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:05 AM

Did anyone save a copy of the second link in crYnOid's post? .... I'd like to read it ....

Thanks
Ted
Old 12-16-2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Ted 99 TA WS6 Conv
Did anyone save a copy of the second link in crYnOid's post? .... I'd like to read it ....

Thanks
Ted
It was simply all GM's press releases for the upcomming auto show. No pictures, and nothing very groundbreaking, unless you want to know more on the new Malibu.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:54 PM

guionM thanks .... I guess I can do without a Malibu update ....

... thought there may be a few interesting tid bits on performance cars.....

Did they mess up and post these early or did they leave the door open to a future site? Both press releases appear to have been removed ... interesting ...

Thanks
Ted
Old 12-17-2002, 11:10 PM

I can't believe they are going to make a v8 car be equal to speed to a Grand Prix GTP. What gives!!

I like the idea of the 6spd from the z06. Now they are thinking in the right direction. Now if they only could change that ugly front end. Well, at least the aftermarket industry will have a field day with this car.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
Bringing this back to the top since this thread has the actual article and the link doesn't work anymore.
The info has been moved to protect it. Any pictures are well protected with passwords so only media can access them. I wish i could share, but i'd hate to lose my privledge!
Old 12-18-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Mervz
The info has been moved to protect it. Any pictures are well protected with passwords so only media can access them. I wish i could share, but i'd hate to lose my privledge!
Can you tell us how the looks of the SS compare to the drawings?
Old 12-18-2002, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by guionM
Can you tell us how the looks of the SS compare to the drawings?
Simply stunning.
I firmly believe that the SS will be the hit of the show this year.
Its THAT good.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Mervz
Simply stunning.
I firmly believe that the SS will be the hit of the show this year.
Its THAT good.
Hope so. Chrysler & Ford have some pretty good things planned. I just wish Lincoln wasn't the only US cars that debut in LA.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I can't believe they are going to make a v8 car be equal to speed to a Grand Prix GTP. What gives!!

I like the idea of the 6spd from the z06. Now they are thinking in the right direction. Now if they only could change that ugly front end. Well, at least the aftermarket industry will have a field day with this car.

Where do they sell GTPs that do 14.0 @ 105MPH in the 1/4 mile STOCK??? because I know they don't sell them here on Earth. LS1 Z28's did the 1/4 @ 105 and they ran it in 13.7-13.8. and yes they will change the front end, they are making a differnet front end for Pontiac, it will be shown at the LA or Detroit auto show.

Quick Reply: GTO info and more!!!