Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What will the Commodore be called as a Chevy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM

Re: What will the Commodore be called as a Chevy?

I am ok with Lumina, but I think GM should try to do better. The first gen Luminas were pretty popular at the time, and the 3.1 Euro models were pretty zippy for the early 90s. Anybody remember that distinctive exhaust sound they had? Plus there was the Z34 models and Nascar racing, and a little movie called "Days of Thunder". The only thing I hated about them, was terrible dash layout.

I think the Lumina name lost its "luster" when the 2nd gen came out in 1996, it was so bland, and the Z34 model didn't offer any kind of styling upgrades and the powertrain wasn't upgraded from the previous gen. By then the competition was offering V6s with more grunt all around.

Today, I think the name really doesn't hold any special value to the general public. So that is both good and bad when attaching it to a new car.

The name with the most clout that I can think of would be Impala SS. If its going to be like the G8 GT with only a V8, that name works perfectly. Rename the current, rotting on the vine Impala to "Classic" like GM does so many times to older out going cars/trucks. But when the new Epsilon Impala arrives that would be a problem, unless you use Impala LT, LTZ on the FWD car, and have the Impala SS as a RWD car only. But I don't think that would work, I think that would create confusion among the general car buying public.

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 01-18-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Josh452
With that said, the "Chevelle" name won hands down in the poll I had on my web-site. (At the sake of being like "oldsmoboi" I won't ***** out my site for cheap traffic.)
You might want to remove the link from your sig then.

I just deleted a post in another thread you made to to oldsmoboi asking about what appears to be a personal inancial issue. I know you guys have a history of sorts, but make no mistake, your history has nothing to do with this web site. Keep it that way. There's no need to bring dirty laundry and bad vibes here, nor is there any need to crap anyone's threads up with it. Take that all somewhere else...like your own sites.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
You might want to remove the link from your sig then.

I just deleted a post in another thread you made to to oldsmoboi asking about what appears to be a personal inancial issue. I know you guys have a history of sorts, but make no mistake, your history has nothing to do with this web site. Keep it that way. There's no need to bring dirty laundry and bad vibes here, nor is there any need to crap anyone's threads up with it. Take that all somewhere else...like your own sites.
Understandable. I just can't get an honest answer, anywhere. My apologies.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Who could forget the Mello Yello Lumina from Days of Thunder?

Reason enough to call the new car Lumina
Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Stupid question, but does anyone know the current demand/expectations for the Caprice?

I know Holden runs a limited volume of vehicles - and while I want GM to hit a "supply<<demand" scenario with this thing, I'd also like to see the Charger get creamed, and extremely low volume & dealer markups could kill that from happening.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
Stupid question, but does anyone know the current demand/expectations for the Caprice?

I know Holden runs a limited volume of vehicles - and while I want GM to hit a "supply<<demand" scenario with this thing, I'd also like to see the Charger get creamed, and extremely low volume & dealer markups could kill that from happening.
The Charger is the king right now. With the new Ford that is out soon and the Chevy one comming..

I am betting on Ford raking in many of its dept that still have ford CV's and moving onto the police car taurus.
The guys that went to Dodge might not go Chevy..so who knows.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick

FWIW, I would consider myself the target buyer for a large Chevrolet sedan: late 40s, empty nester, professional, performance enthusiast, long time Chevrolet owner looking for a four-door daily driver with adquate performance/fuel economy.

Quite frankly, I much prefer the current Impala styling over the current Caprice styling. However I'd consider an Impala-sized RWD sedan, provided it came with the 3.6L DI V6 and 6spd Auto in the Camaro.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Everyone has their own feelings about car names. I don't like Caprice that much. Always liked that Chevy brought back Impala. Nova is a good name but Chevy bastardized it on a goofy Toyota joint venture in the mid 80's. Chevelle does carry with it a not of nostalga but I don't think people would care as much about it on a Commodore as they did with GTO on the Monaro.
I like Bel Air if we have to pick a name from Chevy's past.

But personally I think they should come up with a new name. Laugh at Citation, Celebrity, Lumina or Corsica but they were new names. Maybe GM knew they would be going on very average cars and didn't dare tread on their great 60's names. Ahem Corvair...