Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What will the Commodore be called as a Chevy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 AM

What will the Commodore be called as a Chevy?

All the tea leaves are saying we are about to get a Chevy version of standard wheelbase Commodore. I am all for this (even though it will kill what value my G8 has). The question I have is, what will they call it? Caprice is gone. I have not followed the Impala replacement much..but if they bring it over in G8 volume, that could be enough to jusify putting that name one it. Any thoughts?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 AM

Re: What will the Commodore be called as a Chevy?

Call it impala... and it will sell... just look at ford taurus. Anyway... impala ss anyone? Yeah...
Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 AM

caprice classic?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 AM

Chevelle
Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 AM

I suppose GM could start fresh, maybe just keep the Commodore name - it's a "C" name which wouldn't be out of character for Chevy to use. All the other "traditional" names, Chevelle, Bel Air, Caprice, Lumina and even Impala have baggage attached to varying degrees of severity. I think calling it Impala would confuse the market where there is a current Impala in showrooms. Would the addition of the SS moniker sufficiently differentiate two quite different cars with the same name(?), I don't know.

I suppose if the LWB police cruiser uses the Caprice name, then the SWB car, if it migrates as well, I'd maybe lean towards calling it Chevelle, or just leave it named Commodore, but with that said, I'm not sure Commodore has the right ring to it for this market.

Lumina has different baggage than the other names, since it's a name used in the middle east on the imported Commodore, as opposed to the milquetoast FWD blandmobile sedan we got served here in NA. So, I'm not sure Lumina is the name to use.

Sylish, (potentially) powerful RWD Chevy sport sedan isn't what comes to mind when you say Lumina - at least to me.... Chevelle does though; although that perception is coloured by visions of SS396/454 variants - the sedans were much more plebian. However I think Chevy could benefit from the afterglow of those coupes of yesteryear in peddling the new sedan.

Last edited by SharpShooter_SS; 01-13-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Chevelle
Yep. Compete directly with the Charger.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Impala is what it should be, but I guess we are still getting a Super Epsilon Impala. Since that name is taken I think they should go with Chevelle. Make it V8 and turbo V6 only performance niche model to go up against cars like the Charger R/T and Taurus SHO.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Is Chevelle really the right name after everything that happened with the GTO?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
Call it impala... and it will sell... just look at ford taurus. Anyway... impala ss anyone? Yeah...
Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS
I suppose GM could start fresh, maybe just keep the Commodore name - it's a "C" name which wouldn't be out of character for Chevy to use. All the other "traditional" names, Chevelle, Bel Air, Caprice, Lumina and even Impala have baggage attached to varying degrees of severity. I think calling it Impala would confuse the market where there is a current Impala in showrooms. Would the addition of the SS moniker sufficiently differentiate two quite different cars with the same name(?), I don't know.
It won't use the Impala name (the new Impala is already in the pipeline).

It won't be called Caprice (it's already on a Chevrolet... and forget Caprice Classic too).

It will not share the Commodore name wthat Holden's version has.

Nothing was final the last I heard, but keeping the Lumina name that graces all Chevrolet badged Commodores sold in the world was the leading prospect. It has a far better history than some of you give it credit for (both in the US and the Middle East).

The initial story was that the Commodore sold here will carry only a V8 engine and will be much along the lines of the G8/GT. But there seems to be a growing consensus that a V6 will also end up in the lineup. If so, it will be the Camaro's 312 horse version.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Nothing was final the last I heard, but keeping the Lumina name that graces all Chevrolet badged Commodores sold in the world was the leading prospect. It has a far better history than some of you give it credit for (both in the US and the Middle East).
There's an uphill marketing battle. The old Lumina was slow and cornered like a cargo van. When people here that name they will not be thinking 4 door Camaro SS.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM

My vote is for a new name entirely. Too much baggage/conflict with every idea so far.

If the current Impala was going away and this was to replace it...Bingo.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
It won't use the Impala name (the new Impala is already in the pipeline).

It won't be called Caprice (it's already on a Chevrolet... and forget Caprice Classic too).

It will not share the Commodore name wthat Holden's version has.

If they call it Lumina, I swear I will stab myself repeatedly with a sharp spoon. History eh? Which history, the infamous Dustbuster APV model or the nondescript sedan powered by horrid "old GM" 3.1L and 3.4L V6s?

Nobody in North America knows what the Lumina is now, in the Middle East. Nor do they care. If GM is too stupid to capitalize on the same kind of marketing gold that brought us the Dodge Charger again....
Old 01-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Biscayne!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
There's an uphill marketing battle. The old Lumina was slow and cornered like a cargo van. When people here that name they will not be thinking 4 door Camaro SS.
The Z34 was a lot better than most think from a handling and power perspective. From a reliability standpoint, it had its.........issues. I liked the motor, suspension, and body. Everything outsid eof the driveline that was mechanical was bad. Water pump, oil pump, take your pick leaked. Some badly. Electrical system was jacked up.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Disciple

Call it a Chevelle and the El Camino name dovetails perfectly.

Quick Reply: What will the Commodore be called as a Chevy?