Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What did the 4th gen do right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by guionM
What did the 4th gen do right? You're kidding right?

Engine and the Transmission!

Z284ever brings up a good angle to look at this question of what the 4th gen did right. If it wasn't for the engine & transmission, what did the car get right??

Are the F-bodies a great car, discounting the engine & transmission? Would just the t-tops and early 4th gen front end alone have been enough to entice me to buy one?
NOPE.
You know what's interesting? You could probably make that argument for any generation F-bod. The question was asked earlier if the 4th gen would have sold as well if it had been a 225hp 4.6. But ask yourself this - would the fixation with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gens exist if they had only had 225hp? NOPE

Personally, the looks of any of the generations would not have been enough for me to buy one. The engine/trans MADE the F-bods, no matter which generation (if you exclude the Berlinetta ).

The way I figure it, if any Camaro/Firebird had only had 215hp, I may as well just buy a truck or something. If I'm going to drive something boring, it may as well be practical.

Last edited by LS1_Disciple; 04-15-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:00 PM

Wasn't "best bang for the buck" not the whole basis for muscle cars when they came out in the 60's? It was putting the biggest, best engines, into the lightest, cheapest cars.

I love my Z28. I love my dad's '73 Camaro, and I loved my old '81 Z28. I also loved the '78 Z28 we had, and the '77 Formula we used to have too.

What is it about F-bodies that I love? I dunno.............

I think it's the sound!! Tell me something that sounds better than a cammed out SBC firing up and revving up. Then it's the "attitude" of the cars. They're (relatively) big, but sporty looking, and fast as hell.

What's "right" about the 4th-gens? Lots!

- the LT1 and LS1 are both amazing engines. They're both capable of making ~300+ HP with ease, and yet they get twice the mileage of an old carbureted SBC.
- 6-speed option..............wish I had it myself...........having a 5-speed is so common, whereas a 6-speed sounds so "exotic"
- T-tops with a FUNCTIONAL place to put them!!!! T-tops have always looked good on F-bodies since the 2nd-gens, but now that 4th-gens have designated storage for them, they are so much more practical!
- bang for the buck..............oh yeah, I mentioned that already!

That's my $.02.