Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Are we getting an El Camino or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Are we getting an El Camino or not?

Is the Ute coming from down under or not?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM

I wonder if GM could market and build it to the segment the Subaru Baja never really grabbed. bike's in the bed and such. What do you guys think?

Last edited by number77; 08-19-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by number77
I wonder if GM could market and build it to the segment the Subaru Baja never really grabbed. bike's in the bed and such. What do you guys think?
Funny aside here: I saw a current gen F150 Crew Cab w/ a bike rack on the trailer hitch hauling 2 bikes. But nothing was in the bed. I just thought that was strange.

Anyways Guy you got any new word on these. I think the VE Utes get released in 2 days or so.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 AM

I thought Guy said that unless something dramatic happens within the next year or so, it's virtually a done deal that they're coming....
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by V8 Slayer
Is the Ute coming from down under or not?
Short direct answer:

No "final" decision yet.

More informative answer:

We should see things played out between December and July.

Exporting the Ute to the United States is part of Holden's program. The 25% US tarriff on trucks was one of the 1st things eliminated when the new trade agreement with Australia took effect last year (which GM anticipated in developing the new Ute). Also, once the G8 is done, there will be no additional development needed for the VE based Ute to be exported, therefore very little if any lead time from decision to loading them on boats.

The Holden Ute will be out this winter (or summer in the southern hemisphere), and we should be hearing comments from Holden's new CEO Chris Gubbey about exports of the Ute once it's introduced, and you can almost bet the farm that when the subject comes up, GM product chairman, Mr Bob Lutz will have something to say (most likely in the form of an assesment of what's happening behind the scenes), especially with Ford of Australia's zero plans to export their new Falcon Ute and the attention the new G8 is going to get.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by number77
Personally I think that'd be great. Add all the outdoor oriented features from the Aztek like pop up tent, rear air compressor, stereo, removeable center console/cooler, team that with an efficient diesel drivetrain and AWD, and it could IMO be a popular option with the outdoor crowd.

Of course, you could probably jast as effectively put all that on a Colorado as well......

But then again, I really hate the greenhouse design on the Utes. I'd like to see the flying buttresses of the older El Caminos come back (and yes, I realize there's a vision issue with them, but...that's where my form/function trade off lands).
Old 08-20-2007, 05:00 PM

if anything i'd think they'd put out the feelers on what the public feels about it by showing a "concept" el camino at a major auto show... if the reception is good.. then put em on the boat and send em over
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
Personally I think that'd be great. Add all the outdoor oriented features from the Aztek like pop up tent, rear air compressor, stereo, removeable center console/cooler, team that with an efficient diesel drivetrain and AWD, and it could IMO be a popular option with the outdoor crowd.

Of course, you could probably jast as effectively put all that on a Colorado as well......

But then again, I really hate the greenhouse design on the Utes. I'd like to see the flying buttresses of the older El Caminos come back (and yes, I realize there's a vision issue with them, but...that's where my form/function trade off lands).
I agree.

Flying buttresses don't have to be such a vision issue. The Avalanche has had them since it came out.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:47 PM

I currently own my third and fourth El Caminos, and have never had a problem with visibility out of them. I love the sweeping lines of the flying buttress on these vehicles, and have found the lack of them on Utes to be a styling mistake. But, the whole package would make me overlook that detail, and the VE ute spypics I've seen show that they have moved toward the flying buttress style noticeably vs. the VZ utes. It isn't quite the El Camino sweep, but it is as close as Holden has ever gotten.

I want one - end of report.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by CaminoLS6
I currently own my third and fourth El Caminos, and have never had a problem with visibility out of them. I love the sweeping lines of the flying buttress on these vehicles, and have found the lack of them on Utes to be a styling mistake. But, the whole package would make me overlook that detail, and the VE ute spypics I've seen show that they have moved toward the flying buttress style noticeably vs. the VZ utes. It isn't quite the El Camino sweep, but it is as close as Holden has ever gotten.

I want one - end of report.
Camino isn't tomorrow the big day they unveil it?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
if anything i'd think they'd put out the feelers on what the public feels about it by showing a "concept" el camino at a major auto show... if the reception is good.. then put em on the boat and send em over
People are gonna say , whats that Pontiac doing with a bowtie . The Vauxhall/Holden/chevy thing works overseas because each is branded different by region . I probably have an unpopular opinion here , but for the little volume a im-practical ( for the vast majority )el camino would generate ( I personally think SSR type volume would be realistic )....why take away from the uniqueness of the G8 and bring in another version of it under a different brand in the same country . If Holden is planning a VE wagon , that would be a far more prudent import . I dont know about other area around the US , but around here I see a helluva alot Magnums ....a wagon will sell if its cool .
Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Camino isn't tomorrow the big day they unveil it?
I hate to admit it, but I'm not certain if it is tomorrow or the next day. Then there is the dateline issue with Australia and when the original article was posted/written. So, I'm going with "the middle of this week"
Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
People are gonna say , whats that Pontiac doing with a bowtie . The Vauxhall/Holden/chevy thing works overseas because each is branded different by region . I probably have an unpopular opinion here , but for the little volume a im-practical ( for the vast majority )el camino would generate ( I personally think SSR type volume would be realistic )....why take away from the uniqueness of the G8 and bring in another version of it under a different brand in the same country . If Holden is planning a VE wagon , that would be a far more prudent import . I dont know about other area around the US , but around here I see a helluva alot Magnums ....a wagon will sell if its cool .
Nope.

The El Camino is a completely unique bodystyle in the American market and no one will mistake it for a Pontiac sedan. The SSR was an overpriced, overly complex, low-utility, low-production toy. An El Camino would be dramatically cheaper, more useful, simpler vehicle that would likely out tow a Colorado.

With that said, I'd like to see a wagon version come here as well as a Pontiac sportwagon.