Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Last obstacle for El Camino return?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 12:37 PM

Last obstacle for El Camino return?

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...a01-226471.htm

On one hand, we'd like to see a return of the El Camino (from Holden), on the other hand, how would this hurt jobs here?
Old 07-29-2004, 02:04 PM

Re: Last obstacle for El Camino return?

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...a01-226471.htm

On one hand, we'd like to see a return of the El Camino (from Holden), on the other hand, how would this hurt jobs here?
Maybe I misread it, but according to the article, it says the tarriffs from Australia are already gone??? I say leave the tarriffs on the Thais.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:33 PM

Truck tarriffs with Australia are indeed gone... as far as we're concerned.

There's more to the Australian Trade Pack than just bringing pickups to the US. It's in the Aussies hands now. If they approve it, then you will almost certainly see El Caminos here. I predict within 12 months of it's final approval.

As for it affecting jobs, quite simply: It Won't!

The Holden Ute or anything like it is not built or sold in the US, therefore it isn't being produced and there;'s no labor issue here (see Chevy Aveo).

Also, if GM brought the UTE over as a rebadged El Camino, it would almost certainly sell no more than 20,000 per year. Holden probally won't be able to make more than that and the GTO, and their own market, and exports to the middle east, South America, and China. To the union, this is a very, very small quantity.

Why do I predict it would take only 12 months or less after our agreement's ratified to get El Camino's here?

1. It was supposed to be the 1st Holden product shipped here anyway (not the Monaro!).
2. It's fuel tank is forward of the rear axle, so it needed no modification. It even passes future rear end collision standards.
3. It's dirt cheap to produce. Base V6 models go for less than Impalas. You can get an LS1 6 speed Holden UTE for well under $25,000!
4. It would qualify as a truck. This means a different set of safety regulations (easily passed) and the thing counts towards GM's CAFE truck ratings.
5. It's the type of unique "gotta-have" vehicle Bob Lutz spoke of when he 1st came to GM.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:43 PM

I'm a fan of the Falcon Ute, but the Holden is pretty darn nice too.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Maybe if they are so afraid of losing their jobs they should change their practices.....not beg the fed to help them.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:13 PM

I am a big fan of the Elcamino, back in the 80s dad had a '85 model that was ultra nice. I hope we see the Holden Ute over here as a Chevy. But I wonder how the market will respond to the Ute. Elcaminos were very popular in the late 70s early 80s, but there sales really dropped by the late 80s and then it was killed in somewhere between '87-'88
Old 07-29-2004, 04:17 PM

I think they would do well in today's market of crossover vehicles. I would personally be very interested in one if it had a performance package.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:26 PM

how well would they do...DODGE MAGNUM HAVE ANY CLUE!!!
Its diffent its fast and it has a truck bed..nothing like it on the road..just like the station wagon Magnum..
something diffrent..
Old 07-29-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

There's more to the Australian Trade Pack than just bringing pickups to the US. It's in the Aussies hands now. If they approve it, then you will almost certainly see El Caminos here. I predict within 12 months of it's final approval.

The Holden Ute or anything like it is not built or sold in the US, therefore it isn't being produced and there;'s no labor issue here (see Chevy Aveo).

Also, if GM brought the UTE over as a rebadged El Camino, it would almost certainly sell no more than 20,000 per year. Holden probally won't be able to make more than that and the GTO, and their own market, and exports to the middle east, South America, and China. To the union, this is a very, very small quantity.

Why do I predict it would take only 12 months or less after our agreement's ratified to get El Camino's here?

1. It was supposed to be the 1st Holden product shipped here anyway (not the Monaro!).
2. It's fuel tank is forward of the rear axle, so it needed no modification. It even passes future rear end collision standards.
3. It's dirt cheap to produce. Base V6 models go for less than Impalas. You can get an LS1 6 speed Holden UTE for well under $25,000!
4. It would qualify as a truck. This means a different set of safety regulations (easily passed) and the thing counts towards GM's CAFE truck ratings.
5. It's the type of unique "gotta-have" vehicle Bob Lutz spoke of when he 1st came to GM.

geez,Id take a LS-1 el camino SS for that price.Chevy needs this car to battle the new stang.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:08 PM

It has yet to passed through our parliament. The opposition party is getting a lot pressure to veto the trade deal, because as a free trade deal, it aint that good for Australia. US has keep heavy tarriffs against agriculture to protect your innefficient farmers. (Check out your sugar industry) We aint a manufacturing country so any manufactured goods comming into US is going to be fairly minimal. Any areas of manufacturing where Australia is world class in...like "high speed ferries" you guys have banned there import.

Its a fairly one sided deal and I don't see that the Labour Party (Our version of the Democrats) will ok this deal.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:20 PM

i thought they already came out with an el-camino??!!

http://www.chevrolet.com/ssr/images/.../wall1_800.jpg

Old 07-29-2004, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by onefastz28

Very not cool.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by onefastz28

Old 07-30-2004, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnthonyHSV
It has yet to passed through our parliament. The opposition party is getting a lot pressure to veto the trade deal, because as a free trade deal, it aint that good for Australia. US has keep heavy tarriffs against agriculture to protect your innefficient farmers. (Check out your sugar industry) We aint a manufacturing country so any manufactured goods comming into US is going to be fairly minimal. Any areas of manufacturing where Australia is world class in...like "high speed ferries" you guys have banned there import.

Its a fairly one sided deal and I don't see that the Labour Party (Our version of the Democrats) will ok this deal.
It's not so much our farmers are inefficient as it is a subsidized mess. People paid not to grow things in order to keep prices up?

Putting politics aside, on one hand I can completely understand the feelings regarding the trade agreement (having spent plenty of time "down under"). We protect our agriculture like a hawk... even to the point of paranoia.

But on the other hand, we MUST have those utes for our El Caminos... d*mmnit!!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:48 PM

It's not so much our farmers are inefficient as it is a subsidized mess. People paid not to grow things in order to keep prices up?

Putting politics aside, on one hand I can completely understand the feelings regarding the trade agreement (having spent plenty of time "down under"). We protect our agriculture like a hawk... even to the point of paranoia.

But on the other hand, we MUST have those utes for our El Caminos... d*mmnit!!
I was probably a little harsh on the inefficient comment, as I agree subsidies keep your inflated prices on food. As much as I would like to see more Aussie Cars into the US, the deal in the overall picture just doesnt stack up. My bet is in its current format, and with a election looming here....it aint going ahead.

Last edited by AnthonyHSV; 08-01-2004 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Last obstacle for El Camino return?