Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Some thoughts on Mustang....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
I have been pleasantly surprised by the dealer service on my SVT Contour. When it was under warrany, I'd always get a loaner without even asking. But even after my warranty expired...the dealer would always work with me on repairs for "goodwill" (that is..things that shouldn't break...like fractured springs), and always supplied me with a rental.
I live in a town with about 1200 peeps in it. The local Ford place employs maybe 15 peeps max? I think know them all, definitely the owner. I'm guessing they have maybe 30 cars on the whole lot. They've been here since the 60's though.

I know the parts and service folks intimately. I provide them parts for older cars when they can't get them through Ford. I get my Ford parts at... let's say they are the best prices available.
I go in and tell them what my diagnostic codes are and what I need them to do. They do it. They call if there's something unusuall or pricey. I usually get same-day service, even when it's not a scheduled appointment. I just can't fuss.

There's another small dealer in the little city where I work. Same deal. I don't know everybody yet, but I know the guys in the parts and shop areas, and they help me out when needed.

I know some buddys that have similar deals with the GMC, Chevy, and Pontiac dealers too. No matter the franchise, it's the people that make the difference. I think that's the secret to it all myself.

It's been my experience that you are a number at the big dealerships, and a person at the small ones. I've been to crappy Ford dealers, and told them they were crappy too.

Living in a small town DOES have it's benefits!
Old 03-14-2004, 02:13 PM

my buddie's 98 c5 has adaptive handling and he hates it, it tries to do too much.