Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

sneak peak at the 2013 Dodge Dart.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Re: sneak peak at the 2013 Dodge Dart.

Originally Posted by Z28x
I love the back on this thing. Also, 6 speed automatic is standard, 9 speed is optional (or probably for higher trim levels). Dodge says it will get 40mpg+ with the 1.4L turbo engine.

That does look sharp. But I have the same concern I have about the new Charger. That is, how crappy is it going to look when some of those damn LEDs start inevitably going out?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 AM

9 speed huh. My bicycle had 15 back in the 80's.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:34 AM

I've thought about the LED issue myself, as we've sold several new Chargers, and there is a tri-coat red RT in my showroom I've been trying to convince my wife she needs

I've gotta think that Chrysler would be thinking along those lines, and try to make it somewhat easy to repair them. In reality, who the hell knows. All I know is, its DAMN nice to be sitting in a Chrysler showroom these days. On one side of my floor desk, I've got a 370hp Charger RT with an 8.4" touchscreen Alpine stereo with NAV and heated/cooled cupholders (absolutely epic in cold weather)...a 31 MPG 4,000 lb luxury-lined 300 Limited...and a Grand Cherokee Overland Summit with everything but the kitchen sink in it (including adaptive cruise).

On the other side of me, I've got a 283hp 6 speed Wrangler with absolutely NO competition whatsoever (if you bring up the FJ I will slap you...are they even made anymore?)...a 29 MPG 283hp, 0-60 in 6 flat Chrysler 200 that indeed is not perfect, but when loaded to the gills for $27k, it makes a great car for the money...or how about a Journey, with probably the nicest interior of anything we sell, which is saying a lot considering the new interiors we have now.

Throw some trucks and minivans in the mix, and all I'm missing is a nice compact car like this, and a better compact SUV, which is coming next Summer.

We've come a long, long way since bankruptcy...let alone the days, and vehicles, leading up to it. Last month, we sold the most new cars we've sold since Employee Pricing, if that tells you anything...
Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 PM

I bet the LED's are easy to repair. Just unplug the array, unbolt it, then reverse with the new part. Doesn't mean that it will be cheap.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I bet the LED's are easy to repair. Just unplug the array, unbolt it, then reverse with the new part. Doesn't mean that it will be cheap.
I wondered about the LED's myself when looking at the new Chargers, I can see random burnt out lights in these cars future.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM

The LEDs should last the life of the car. With that said I'm sure there are still a few that are bound to fail early. LEDs would always fail in the radio or dash too. I'm not too worried about it, lots of companies are using LEDs everywhere on the cars now.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 PM

That's pretty much it right there. The tail lamp on the Charger is in 3 sections. One on each side and one on the trunk lid.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM

and $100-$200 each.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Takes a while for them to go out, though.

Took many years for them to start going out on those final years the T-bird had them, and even then it was only a couple bulbs after being around nearly a decade.

Originally Posted by Jason E
I've thought about the LED issue myself, as we've sold several new Chargers, and there is a tri-coat red RT in my showroom I've been trying to convince my wife she needs

I've gotta think that Chrysler would be thinking along those lines, and try to make it somewhat easy to repair them. In reality, who the hell knows. All I know is, its DAMN nice to be sitting in a Chrysler showroom these days. On one side of my floor desk, I've got a 370hp Charger RT with an 8.4" touchscreen Alpine stereo with NAV and heated/cooled cupholders (absolutely epic in cold weather)...a 31 MPG 4,000 lb luxury-lined 300 Limited...and a Grand Cherokee Overland Summit with everything but the kitchen sink in it (including adaptive cruise).

On the other side of me, I've got a 283hp 6 speed Wrangler with absolutely NO competition whatsoever (if you bring up the FJ I will slap you...are they even made anymore?)...a 29 MPG 283hp, 0-60 in 6 flat Chrysler 200 that indeed is not perfect, but when loaded to the gills for $27k, it makes a great car for the money...or how about a Journey, with probably the nicest interior of anything we sell, which is saying a lot considering the new interiors we have now.

Throw some trucks and minivans in the mix, and all I'm missing is a nice compact car like this, and a better compact SUV, which is coming next Summer.

We've come a long, long way since bankruptcy...let alone the days, and vehicles, leading up to it. Last month, we sold the most new cars we've sold since Employee Pricing, if that tells you anything...
It was only about 24 months ago I felt like I needed a flame suit and a bunker for even bringing up that Chrysler had a lot in the pipeline and predictions here saying Chrysler was doomed regardless was naieve.

Long way indeed!

Last edited by guionM; 12-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 AM

They just released some info on the interior. I think it is great that they are going with red lighting. I always loved that about my Pontiac.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/13/2...ails-revealed/

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 AM

On paper, it looks like Dodge is going to have a winner on their hands. I hope there is an option for an analog speedo. I don't care much for the digital one. Now, we just have to wait a month for this lady to lift up her skirt, and show us her goods...
Old 12-13-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
They just released some info on the interior. I think it is great that they are going with red lighting. I always loved that about my Pontiac.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/13/2...ails-revealed/

That looks great! So when do we get full pictures and information?

Last edited by ZZtop; 12-13-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:51 PM

When it is unveiled next month at the Detroit auto show.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 AM

I hate to say it... but i like what Dodge is doing design wise...
Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
I hate to say it... but i like what Dodge is doing design wise...
I tend to agree.

I went with my younger brother and his family to the San Francisco Int'l Autoshow recently. He has an infant daughter and is looking for a "family" car to replace his aging Subaru WRX sedan. I'd consider my brother a car-guy like me. Like me, he buys cars to last. His first car was the '68 Camaro RS I handed down to him. He replaced that with a Toyota Tacoma (which he still owns) and later purchased the Subaru for his wife's primarly vehicle when they first moved in together.

My brother wants a vehicle that can tow a tent trailer (~5000 lb towing capacity) but that will also serve as his wife's daily driver. Being a GM and primarly a Chevy guy, I met them the Chevrolet display. What a disappointment. While my brother and his wife like the size and proportions of the Traverse, they hated the look of the front nose. This applied to pretty much everything in Chevy's booth. I primarily went to see the 2013 Malibu in person. While my brother liked the looks better than the crossover/SUVs, he said it looked like a Chevrolet Camry, and that the current Malibu looked like a Chevrolet Accord. (I guess I can see his point.) Clearly the best looking vehicles and booth at the show was the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep exhibit. They really are producing some good looking vehicles. The new Grand Cherokee is possibly the best looking SUV on the market, and the new Charger imho is the best looking large sedan. Not to take anything away from Cadillac, which I also think makes nice looking vehicles... they're just priced out of my price-point.

FWIW, my brother is leaning toward the VW Touareg TDi.

Quick Reply: sneak peak at the 2013 Dodge Dart.