Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Skyline GT-R curb weight 3900lbs.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

Re: Skyline GT-R curb weight 3900lbs.?

Originally Posted by godofdragons
anyone who is surprised by the weight has been deluded by all the ricer hype. skylines have always been heavy. they are nothing special at all. a base vette would rape them
I think you really need to read more and, perhaps, try to understand a bit of automotive history.

Among other GT-R accomplishments, in 1989 Nissan debuted the GT-R to compete in the JTC (Japan Touring Car) Group A racing series. The GT-R was undefeated in its first season. 4 years running the GT-R won the championship in the JTC Group A series, a record of 29 wins out of 29 races. Because of its dominance, the Skyline was given its own series in 1994 the JGTC, (Japan GT car) series.

In 1991 Nurburgring 24 hour endurance race (First participation) Skyline GT-R
won the Group N class. At the Spa Francorchamps 24 hour endurance race 1991
the GT-R won overall beating Group A, and Group N1 cars. From 1991 -1997 the
Skyline was undefeated in N1 endurance racing in Japan, winning 50 times.

Now, if you don’t care about any of that then you don’t care and your are certainly entitled to your opinion but IMHO to just discount the GT-R out of hand shows either a lack of understanding of what the GT-R is or that you simply hate it because it isn’t a Corvette.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 10-10-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 PM

Now, if you don’t care about any of that then you don’t care and your are certainly entitled to your opinion but IMHO to just discount the GT-R out of hand shows either a lack of understanding of what the GT-R is or that you simply hate it because it isn’t a Corvette.
Nissan thumping again, huh?

I hate it not because it is not a Corvette, I just plain hate it because it is a nissan.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
We've known how much weight powertrain add to accomodate big HP (Corvette excluded).

My question is, is it worth it? I know my thirdgen with 300 hp would beat the hell out of my GTO with 400 HP and 400 lbs in extra mass. Would a 300-350 hp car be that much slower than a 450 hp car and 600 lbs of added weight?

ROFLMAO. Maybe your goat is a slug and / or you can't drive the manual in yours or something, but i'll take my 350hp GTO vs. ANY 300hp thirdgen you can find.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
Nissan thumping again, huh?

I hate it not because it is not a Corvette, I just plain hate it because it is a nissan.
Well, hatred is often not justified and it's even less often rational.

And, no, not "Nissan thumping"...a great car with a great heritage is a great car with a great heritage no matter what nameplate it carries. I feel the same way about great cars that carry the names Austin Martin, Austin Healey, Jaguar, Chevrolet, Lotus, Porsche, Ford, Chrysler, and many more. To deny such is to be intellectually dishonest (and intellectual dishonesty is one of the few things I do hate).

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 10-10-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:04 PM

my stock sti with 220 awhp/300bhp weighs 3350 lbs (3500 with me in it at the track) . Average modded sti's easily achieve 350awhp, which would put it at least at 430 bhp (if drivetrain power lost was linear, which it's not). all of this is on stock TMIC, turbo, injectors, clutch, fuel pump.

In japan they have an even lighter version of the STi (the spec C) at 3064 lbs, unless you buy the gravel trim, which is even lighte. the brakes, 3 diffs, tranny, clutch are all over engineered for stock power levels.

but thats all off topic. the real questions is: why does the new skyline have to be 500 lbs heavier than the R33/R34 skyline? You'd think nissan would use more technology from the aftermarket tunes (Ztune, etc) that make faster and lighter skylines.

as for the skyline not being a fast car...i'm not going to justify that with a response.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xyloft
...the real questions is: why does the new skyline have to be 500 lbs heavier than the R33/R34 skyline? You'd think nissan would use more technology from the aftermarket tunes (Ztune, etc) that make faster and lighter skylines.
Don't loose sight of the fact that no one knows what the GT-R will actually weigh when it's all said and done - all of this is just guessing right now anway.

There are ways to save weight but they usually cost money so there is always a trade-off but, the performance targets the GT-R must reach are quite high...for now, I'm content to believe that the team will do whatever it takes to get the performance where it wants it to be.

Last edited by Robert_Nashville; 10-10-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Xyloft
but thats all off topic. the real questions is: why does the new skyline have to be 500 lbs heavier than the R33/R34 skyline? You'd think nissan would use more technology from the aftermarket tunes (Ztune, etc) that make faster and lighter skylines.

as for the skyline not being a fast car...i'm not going to justify that with a response.
The reasons is will be heavier is for the same reason every car on the road from a Civic, to a Mustang, to a Tahoe has gotten heavier. Safety! Lots of reinforcement, air bags, etc.. has been added over the last few years. Every one wants a 5 star crash rated car without the car costing more.

You also have to be able to warranty that car/power train for 50,000-100,000 miles now a days. A modified car can't be compared to a factory stock car.

...and R33/R34's are fast in the same way LT1 Camaros and 5.0L Mustangs are fast

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
Also keep in mind the bar they GT-R must reach which is quite high...for now, I'm content to believe that the team will do whatever it takes to get the performance where it wants it to be.
But will it be worth the price? Sure every ricer will want one, but how many ricers do you know buy a $80,000-$100,000 car? Thats a lot of years of living in the parents basement. Will the person who normally would buy a Z06, Viper, porsche, BMW M-series, AMG, V-series, or any other $75K+ performance car want one? Or would it be better to keep the weight and price it at $50K and sell to the GT500, M3, S4 and even G35 crowd.

Last edited by Z28x; 10-10-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 PM
gab

I think you really need to read more and, perhaps, try to understand a bit of automotive history.

Among other GT-R accomplishments, in 1989 Nissan debuted the GT-R to compete in the JTC (Japan Touring Car) Group A racing series. The GT-R was undefeated in its first season. 4 years running the GT-R won the championship in the JTC Group A series, a record of 29 wins out of 29 races. Because of its dominance, the Skyline was given its own series in 1994 the JGTC, (Japan GT car) series.

In 1991 Nurburgring 24 hour endurance race (First participation) Skyline GT-R
won the Group N class. At the Spa Francorchamps 24 hour endurance race 1991
the GT-R won overall beating Group A, and Group N1 cars. From 1991 -1997 the
Skyline was undefeated in N1 endurance racing in Japan, winning 50 times.
or how the GTR was banned from the Australian supercar race in the early 1990's after dominating, race after race for 2 years straight, even after being placed on a weight penalty. it was impressive to watch the GTR arrive at the 1st turn before every commodore or falcon, and then keep their dominating position thereafter. after a couple of years, must admit, it started to get boring watching the race...

The GTR, being the underdog, when they first started supercar was the impetus that got me excited about owning fast cars. I went out and bought a "fast" 2L at the time (a manual gearbox, nissan pulsar SS).
Old 10-10-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by gab
I went out and bought a "fast" 2L at the time (a manual gearbox, nissan pulsar SS).
Is that like buying a Fiero (as a stepping stone) if what you really wanted was a Firebird?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Is that like buying a Fiero (as a stepping stone) if what you really wanted was a Firebird?
Or, for a lot of us on the board buying a Camaro when we really want Corvettes.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28x
But will it be worth the price? Sure every ricer will want one, but how many ricers do you know buy a $80,000-$100,000 car? Thats a lot of years of living in the parents basement. Will the person who normally would buy a Z06, Viper, porsche, BMW M-series, AMG, V-series, or any other $75K+ performance car want one? Or would it be better to keep the weight and price it at $50K and sell to the GT500, M3, S4 and even G35 crowd.
How may people do you actualy know who will buy an $80-$100K car???

Like many cars, lot's of people will want one who cannot or will not fork out the cash for it - it's not going to be nor is it planned to be a high volume car.

The one thing Nissan has been open about is that the target for the GT-R is to beat the Porsche Turbo in every category and do it for half the price and price clearly puts it in the $70-$80K/$70-$90K range. Pricing in the $50K range would start to impact the G25/350Z - Nissan won't do that just as Cnevrolet won't price the Z06 too close to the Z/28 price point even if it could do so and still make a profit.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
ROFLMAO. Maybe your goat is a slug and / or you can't drive the manual in yours or something, but i'll take my 350hp GTO vs. ANY 300hp thirdgen you can find.
I'm not talking about going in a straight line.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chuck!
I'm not talking about going in a straight line.
What!!! You mean you can actually turn the wheel left or right????
Old 10-10-2006, 02:49 PM

The one thing Nissan has been open about is that the target for the GT-R is to beat the Porsche Turbo in every category and do it for half the price and price clearly puts it in the $70-$80K/$70-$90K range. Pricing in the $50K range would start to impact the G25/350Z - Nissan won't do that just as Cnevrolet won't price the Z06 too close to the Z/28 price point even if it could do so and still make a profit.
G35/350Z is priced right were a V8 Camaro and GTO are/will be. Chevrolet then makes a Corvette that you can get starting $45K and the Z06 at $70K. $50K-$60K is where I'd want the Skyline to be, but Nissan my have different plans. GT-R is the AWD/AWS version, maybe they will offer a G35 with that same engine as the GT-R but RWD only at a price that fills the gap.

450HP TT G35 @ say $55K would be some nice competition for the next M3, GT500, and CTC-V. I think it would make a lot of people forget about the heavier and way more expensive Skyline GT-R
Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM

What!!! You mean you can actually turn the wheel left or right????
The best thing about it is that there's an 89 IROC in Cincy that swapped an LT1 in (275 horse) and with SLP headers and a homemade CAI went 12.9...

Quick Reply: Skyline GT-R curb weight 3900lbs.?