Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Saw and sat in the new Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Saw and sat in the new Malibu

It's true.
I saw it at the New York State Fair.
When I saw it, I said "holy s**t !!!! There's the new Malibu !!!!"
I pretty much ran over to it. My g/f was like, what's the big deal? It's just a boring sedan.
It's nice to see one in real life. This one must have been top of the line because it had everything, including 18" wheels and the 3.6L V-6. It was black metallic with the black & saddle leather interior.
The profile of the car is spot on. Very nice. The front end is too blunt and rounded. It would have been better to have some sort of vestigal front bumper portruding from the front of the car with a deeper dam. The back end is too flat. Period.
I was relieved to see that the interior materials were soft touch and padded. I was very nervous about that. The interior was very nice. I'm not crazy about the black/saddle combo. The saddle was almost too salmon-ish colored. Plus it made the interior feel tight (narrow). I would like to see it in a light beige color. The seat was comfy. The compartment cover on the top of the dash didn't match the rest of the dash plus it was hard plastic. Same for the small door behind the shifer. I didn't like how that "garage door" rolling cover in the console felt. It looked too 80's-ish and felt like it, too. It had paddle shifters on the wheel. That was kinda cool.
What was interesting was the paint. It was black but it had a heavy metallic in it. I haven't seen anything like that since the '70s.
Overall, I think it will do well for Chevy and GM. Some tweaks to the nose and tail, and it would be a show winner.

I have a few pics on my cell phone. I'll get them out of there and post them here.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:56 PM

Nice. I would take a new Malibu over the new Accord any day.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:19 PM

Hu are you trying to spin GM bias here??

This is a no spin zone here at CZ28.com
Old 09-02-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
Hu are you trying to spin GM bias here??

This is a no spin zone here at CZ28.com
Me? Put a positive "spin" about a GM vehicle on a GM website?
Man, I hate when I'm accused of that!!

Maybe I should be banned.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:35 PM

Thumbs up

Yes maybe we should PM Jason...

Tell him you did not look for cracks in the frame, possible causes of engine fires like cruise control modules or things like that. It must be fair and balanced judgement on these cars and not doing so. Well sir you are bias. Therefor you are banned!

Jason..jason...GM favortism over here hehehhehehehe
Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM

I must admit, I wasn't all on fire when I first saw internet pictures of the new Malibu. But I saw one roll through our town the other day. It was black, with the larger optional wheels. I was very impressed! It looked like a little limo, very nicely proportioned, and modern. I believe it will be a hit for GM